Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion

Rebellion Developments (Rogue Warrior, Aliens vs Predator, Sniper Elite) is suing Stardock Entertainment and Ironclad Games in an Eastern Michigan district court for trademark violation over the use of the word "rebellion" in the title of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion. Rebellion is asking for damages for being "deprived of substantial sales of its products" and for "the value of its trademarks as commercial assets." GameSpot notes: "Rebellion provided several examples where it claimed consumers would have been easily misled, including promotional materials which displayed the word 'Rebellion' much larger than the preceding 'Sins of a Solar Empire' and some that referred to the game only by the disputed trademark." Thanks Joao.

View
52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

52. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 20:40 The Half Elf

Does this mean that LucasFilms can sue the shit out of everyone?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

51. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 15:55 Zoom

Spektr wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 11:49:
Is there an antecedent of a company managing to own the rights to a common noun that belongs in a dictionnary?
Microsoft tried this long ago with "Windows" and got laughed out of court.

50. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 15:25 Verno

So when is Rebellion going to sue EA since Mass Effect has a content pack with that name too? Or any of the other dozens of common appearances that term makes in popular media. What a silly lawsuit.  

Playing: Alien Isolation, 7 Days to Die, Dragon Age Origins
Watching: The Canal, Brazil, The Town That Dreaded Sundown

49. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 14:27 Mostly_Harmless

I just bought Sniper Elite and I'm shocked to learn that it wasn't made by the good people at Elite Systems, they should sue.  

48. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 11:49 Spektr

Is there an antecedent of a company managing to own the rights to a common noun that belongs in a dictionnary? Maybe linguistics should start suing that kind of company to set a jurisprudence. Common sense would have it that a company with name x should be able to sue other company named x if they are indeed competiting in the same kind of field over unfair use of name that could lead to confusion. Can we imagine 3d realms suing a game company for a forgotten realms game or Lord of the realms? Nvidia suing Id for the use of the word rage being the makers of the rage3d video card? ( I am giving away my age here )
I hope the court fine them for wasting the court's precious time that could be used for more important cases.

47. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 11:46 Darks

The thing is, Rebellion saying they lost sales because IC used the name Rebellion in their game. I donít see the logic in this at all. How can they say that Sins caused them lost sales over a name when Sins posted over 100K of sales recently for the game.

If anything Rebellion should be worried about their own IP and how crappy their games have been in the past several years. Rebellion has scared themselves with bad games they have released.

In all seriousness, how many people here thought when they heard the name Sin Rebellion that this game was in anyway released to the developer Rebellion? I know I never once thought it. I canít see how anyone else would have either.

Maybe the US Govt should start suing developers for making Tank games and using the name Tank.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

46. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 11:38 Spektr

They would only deserve one thing. to be sued by George Lucas. I mean those guys are asking for it. Thing is Lucasarts hasn't been playing that nasty game and that's to be praised for. They should be busy making good games rather because I dont see a studio being viable with such crap as games like Rogue Warrior. that game only deserved one kind of payment, The content of my bladder.  

45. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 11:21 jdreyer

Blackhawk wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 09:45:
Make sure you also sue the following:

LucasArts (Star Wars: Rebellion)
BioWare (Mass Effect 3: Rebellion Pack)
Spiderweb Software (Geneforge 4: Rebellion)
Midas Interactive (Polaris Rebellion)
Phoenix Interactive (Space Rebellion)
Namco Bandai (Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion)

I've got a list of probably two dozen more. Rebellion - you can't claim your name as IP, at least not anymore.

I'm sure picking on Stardock/Ironclad has as much to do with the fact that they are small and independent without much cashflow compared to Lucasarts, Bioware, and Namco. Just like fcking copyright trolls Righthaven I'm sure the whole point of this is to extract a settlement, which would be cheaper than actually going to court. Ironclad/Stardock need to take this to court no matter what. A smart judge will see this shit for what it is, throw it out, and make Rebellion pay for Ironclad's legal fees.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

44. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 11:13 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 04:12:
How can any 'sane' person of a relatively normal conscience even attempt something like this kind of litigation??? First Bethesda with "Scrolls" and now Rebellion with "Rebellion".

What is wrong with you people!!!????

You know, I was extremely annoyed with Bethesda, a company I love and admire, for suing Mojang, another company I love and admire, over the use of the word "Scrolls" in the title of Mojang's upcoming fantasy-themed game. However, since Bethesda also had a fantasy-themed game with the word "Scrolls" in the title, I could at least see where they were coming from.

This, however, is fucking bullshit.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

43. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 11:10 Jivaro

I am not sure I know what is the bigger problem for me...

A) That the legal system has evolved (?) to a point where a company like Rebellion might feel like they are obligated to file this lawsuit to establish that they are indeed protecting their trademark.

B) That Rebellion might actually be able to win....or at least not have the case thrown out on the first day.

Both concepts are equally maddening. What a waste of time and resources. Also, just because no legal bitching is complete without a negative generalization about lawyers, what is it about being a lawyer that makes it so that it would appear as if the day they pass the bar they completely forget that just because you can do something doesn't mean you should. Oh right...money. Silly me.

42. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 10:37 space captain

blood in the water....  
Go forth, and kill!

41. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 10:08 Darks

Its crap like this that sickens me to no end, I had, past tense, had respect for that developer, but now, piss off Rebellion.

As someone else said, I was seriously thinking about picking up Sniper Elite, but no way in hell am I supporting these ass clowns now.

And how is there in any way any confusion with the name Sin of the Solar Empire Rebellion? Why did Rebellion wait so long to try and pull this off?

Sin Rebellion was no secret it was announced long ago and in beta for a long time, if there was a problem with them using the name why did they wait so long to dispute it? Yes, we all know the answer this was their intention in the first place to wait then try and sue. Itís pretty pathetic and low down of Rebellion.

Anyone that plays games know all too well that IC created that series of games. Itís not like this game just magically appeared on the market. Itís been out for several years. Adding the word Rebellion at the end of the title does not give anyone the right to Sue.

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2012, 10:25.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

40. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 09:45 Blackhawk

Make sure you also sue the following:

LucasArts (Star Wars: Rebellion)
BioWare (Mass Effect 3: Rebellion Pack)
Spiderweb Software (Geneforge 4: Rebellion)
Midas Interactive (Polaris Rebellion)
Phoenix Interactive (Space Rebellion)
Namco Bandai (Tekken 6: Bloodline Rebellion)

I've got a list of probably two dozen more. Rebellion - you can't claim your name as IP, at least not anymore.

39. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 09:34 pnag

Not to be overly pedantic, but it was Rogue Trooper, I think you'll find. Still balls that they're doing this  

38. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 08:43 Mr. Tact

I'm guessing this was Rebellion's business model from the start. Run the company long enough to "establish" itself -- then start suing anyone using "their" name.

Ok, I don't really think that -- but it is about the only thing that causes this situation to make much sense.

Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

37. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 08:16 SXO

Sniper Elite v2 is on sale on Steam right now, and I was planning to buy it today, but now that I see this company's true colors, I'll pass. Talk about a frivolous lawsuit.  

36. Re: R*******n Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over R*******n Aug 17, 2012, 06:56 J

I hope Blue doesn't get sued for using the word R*******n on his site. Sharing such a story may tarnish a company's reputation. This could result in lost sales!

everybodypanic.gif

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2012, 07:03.

35. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 06:27 pagb

Stupid US laws... how can you even "own" a word in the dictionary? There's no product called "Rebellion" in the videogame market to endure suing, case closed.

I'll register "Duty" and "Honor", and I'll be rich!

34. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 06:17 InBlack

The worst part is that these guys made one of my favorite games ever, the first Aliens vs Predator, yet they produced little else of quality since. They probably lawyered up with the cheapest damn law firm ever, which might be the reason why they were stupid enough to even try this stunt. I hope Stardock isnt even thinking of settling this out of court.  

I have a nifty blue line!

33. Re: Rebellion Sues Stardock and Ironclad Over Rebellion Aug 17, 2012, 04:47 Golwar

I think Rebellion should sue itself. At least I doubt that they'll manage to sell me one of their games again after this, so someone should have to pay for those damages ... right?  

52 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo