Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion

The GeForce Website announces that owners of NVIDIA's new GTX 660 Ti graphics card (see today's hardware revews) or better are entitled to a free copy of Borderlands 2, Gearbox Software's upcoming role-playing shooter sequel. One of the things this will do is enable users to run the game at maximum settings for all sorts of PhysX effects. and this page offers a trailer showing these off.

View
65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

65. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 18, 2012, 15:57 Dev

Beamer wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 13:53:
Well, the first profitable quarter for the Xbox was 2008 with Halo 3, the Xbox 360 has a 64 bit processor, 64 bit OS, and 64 bit games.
Well there you go then. Shows how little I know and care about consoles
Also proves my point that 64 bit doesn't automatically mean more memory (or more utilization for that matter)

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

64. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 18, 2012, 13:53 Beamer

Dev wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 11:50:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 02:23:
Well with custom I mean like a dual-gpu kind of setup. Actually I am bit more optimistic that at least 1 of the new consoles is going to be pretty state-of-the-art performance wise given that the costs are recouped by games anyway. And hopefully the consoles are going to be 64bit, meaning we might finally see that leak over into the PC market, one can hope... ;p It annoys the heck of out of me no game uses my 16GB ram ;p I could INSTALL most games in my ram, for gods sake.
There's existing dual gpu on a single card setups now. In most cases, duals on 1 card aren't cost effective for the amount of performance they give out.
No, costs are NOT automatically recouped by games. Sony lost a HUGE amount of money on the PS3 console. I didn't run the math of each quarter/annual report to see if they ever made enough money to make up for those losses.
I have run the math on the xbox 1 though. MS lost over $4 billion on the xbox 1, and thats INCLUDING all games/software/licensing sales they made on it. I believe they ultimately made money overall on the xbox 360, but it took quite a while to even be in the black for a single quarter (which I recall was when they released one of the halo games), and then even longer to make up for all the previous losses.

And 64 bit isn't really that important to consoles. The 360 has been running on 512 megs ram. They may well limit the next gen consoles to 4gb of memory to keep costs down. And even if they did go to 8 gb of ram, there's ways to utilize that in 32 bit. Some versions of windows have also been able to use over 4gb of ram in 32 bit.

Well, the first profitable quarter for the Xbox was 2008 with Halo 3, the Xbox 360 has a 64 bit processor, 64 bit OS, and 64 bit games.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

63. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 18, 2012, 13:03 Prez

I have a 560ti card and while the jury is still out on whether it will have as much staying power as the epic 8800 gt, I love it. No need to upgrade for me yet.  

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

62. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 18, 2012, 11:50 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 18, 2012, 02:23:
Well with custom I mean like a dual-gpu kind of setup. Actually I am bit more optimistic that at least 1 of the new consoles is going to be pretty state-of-the-art performance wise given that the costs are recouped by games anyway. And hopefully the consoles are going to be 64bit, meaning we might finally see that leak over into the PC market, one can hope... ;p It annoys the heck of out of me no game uses my 16GB ram ;p I could INSTALL most games in my ram, for gods sake.
There's existing dual gpu on a single card setups now. In most cases, duals on 1 card aren't cost effective for the amount of performance they give out.
No, costs are NOT automatically recouped by games. Sony lost a HUGE amount of money on the PS3 console. I didn't run the math of each quarter/annual report to see if they ever made enough money to make up for those losses.
I have run the math on the xbox 1 though. MS lost over $4 billion on the xbox 1, and thats INCLUDING all games/software/licensing sales they made on it. I believe they ultimately made money overall on the xbox 360, but it took quite a while to even be in the black for a single quarter (which I recall was when they released one of the halo games), and then even longer to make up for all the previous losses.

And 64 bit isn't really that important to consoles. The 360 has been running on 512 megs ram. They may well limit the next gen consoles to 4gb of memory to keep costs down. And even if they did go to 8 gb of ram, there's ways to utilize that in 32 bit. Some versions of windows have also been able to use over 4gb of ram in 32 bit.

61. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 18, 2012, 02:23 eRe4s3r

60. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 18, 2012, 00:45 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 21:53:
Or maybe they build a custom gpu that completely blows anything we can buy out of the water.. point being we don't know. But what they put in that is what the next console ports will likely demand in graphic power.
Custom is super expensive. You know how much money that nvidia and ATI spend on making new graphics chips? The whole reason why the next gen consoles might not have cutting edge current graphics chips is to reduce that cost.

Anyway, by the time the next consoles come out, there will be another generation of graphics cards out. Not much point in waiting on a console release if you need a graphics card now.

I think you are predicting that they will use uber graphics in the next gen console. I'm predicting they will be way behind PC's in graphics, cpu, ram, and hdd, because of cost concerns.

59. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 21:53 eRe4s3r

Or maybe they build a custom gpu that completely blows anything we can buy out of the water.. point being we don't know. But what they put in that is what the next console ports will likely demand in graphic power.  

58. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 21:52 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:43:

Thanks man.

I bit on the MSI 660 ti. 28 Dba under full load, and I actually do have a Fractal Design case, so that should be pretty much quiet as a mouse.

Creston

SWEET.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

57. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 21:51 eRe4s3r

Because for the next 10 years you gonna be playing ports of games for these consoles? Assuming you want your next card to be future safe, it seems like a really bad time to buy a new card.

And I still firmly belief that hardware requirements are gonna be stagnating after this console revision even more. Graphics might be able to improve, but the art pipelines did not. And the costs for AAA games are already so high, I highly doubt you will see an increase in quality of graphics the same way the past 10 years improved. Unless they develop new content creation tools.

56. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 21:18 Creston

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 17:44:
Especially this shortly before a new console generation where we still don't know what card might match or be better than the console. Because you might want to consider this before buying a 300$ card with half the memory bandwidth of a 460gtx

Why is that important? I honestly couldn't care less what kind of graphics they put in the next Xbox/PS. I can pretty much guarantee it won't be a 300 dollar graphics card, but shit, even if they put the equivalent of a 690 GTX in there, who cares? How does that affect PC owners?

Creston

55. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 21:16 Dev

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 17:44:
Especially this shortly before a new console generation where we still don't know what card might match or be better than the console. Because you might want to consider this before buying a 300$ card with half the memory bandwidth of a 460gtx

Thats not really a concern. Since ANY card you get is going to be better than what they put into the consoles.

Last time what they put into them was about half a generation ahead of what was available on PC. This time its going to be multiple generations behind whats on the PC.

54. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 19:51 Morgan19

Dev wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 13:36:
Morgan19 wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 11:40:
Specifically what cards are considered "above" a 660 Ti?
In pure performance? Thats a $300 card, the $400 670 and the $500 680 are above it. As well as the 690.

Nah, I just meant in terms of the promotion. It was curious that the story and webpage state "owners of the 660 Ti or better get BL2 free", with details on what cards actually qualified for the deal seeming to be absent. But then I clicked through to NewEgg and see they're listed on the promotions page there, so mystery solved, user error.

It was more out of curiosity on my part, rather than any plan to take advantage of the deal since I have no plans on getting a new card anyway.

53. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 17:44 eRe4s3r

52. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 15:16 xXBatmanXx

wow. Don't really have a need for a 400+ video card though. Overkill.....  

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

51. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 14:20 Creston

Dades wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 13:56:
Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 13:49:
This case is the best I've ever owned. Once you see their solution for cable management, you wonder why no other case manufacturer came up with that (though some may have, I dunno), and you'll never EVER want to go back to a case without it.

Is it different than the Define series? I like Fractal cases but their cable management sucks compared to Corsair. They use cheap rubber grommets that always fall out as you're cabling and the bottom mounted PSU almost blocks off one of the ones needed. I like everything else about them though. Corsair has probably the best cable management setups in the industry but their cooling performance is always a bit iffy despite using large fans. I think their airflow setups are just flawed somehow.

I don't know if there's a difference between th is and the Define. It does use rubber grommets, and I did actually have one fall out. It wasn't too hard to get it back in place, though, and the airflow through the case with all the cables out of the way is fantastic. I once owned a Corsair case long ago that had no cable system whatsoever, so all cables just hung in a big fucking bundle in the middle of the case.

If they've managed to make it better, then kudos to them. It was about time.

Cooling in the Arc is fantastic. Other than my GPU, everything stays right around 30-35 degrees C.

Creston

50. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 13:56 Dades

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 13:49:
This case is the best I've ever owned. Once you see their solution for cable management, you wonder why no other case manufacturer came up with that (though some may have, I dunno), and you'll never EVER want to go back to a case without it.

Is it different than the Define series? I like Fractal cases but their cable management sucks compared to Corsair. They use cheap rubber grommets that always fall out as you're cabling and the bottom mounted PSU almost blocks off one of the ones needed. I like everything else about them though. Corsair has probably the best cable management setups in the industry but their cooling performance is always a bit iffy despite using large fans. I think their airflow setups are just flawed somehow.

49. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 13:49 Creston

eunichron wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:53:
Dev wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 10:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 10:16:
Oh my case is roomy.. I just have 6 HDD's ;p And 6 HDD's need specific HDD cooling with fans n' all.

Well for my next case I am definitely gonna go for a tower case with more width so that this problem doesn't exist.
Nope not roomy. I also have 6 hdds, my case has room for about 15 total. My hdds sit in front of speed controlled 120mm fans. Still plenty of room for graphics cards

If I ever replace it, this one caught my eye recently:
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1393&ID=2048
I like the hdd snap/lock setup, so I never have to swap wires on my hdds when upgrading them. I also like the SATA dock at the top. There's some other neat features in this case. Its all about the features with me, I don't much care how a case looks.

Those kinds of cases just look incredibly tacky to me. I have a 6 year old Antec P-180B right now, but I'm thinking of picking up a Corsair Obsidian 650D. Tons of hard drive space, tons of peripheral space, and it doesn't look like something out of a teenager's wet dream.

Roomy, well made, great fans that are nice and quiet, everything about the whole thing just oozes quality. And it looks like a big giant black-brick shithouse. Which is exactly what a case SHOULD look like!

Creston

48. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 13:46 Dades

The thermaltake case looks like ridiculous LAN trash from 8 years ago though. I'd rather have a Corsair or Fractal-Design case. The Fractal Design Define R4 and Corsair 600TM are pretty nice. The Fractal cases are very quiet but still perform fairly well on cooling and are totally modular for most cooling setups. The Corsair 600TM is a bit noisier but has a lot of convenience features and decent cooling.  

47. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 13:36 Dev

eunichron wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 12:53:
Those kinds of cases just look incredibly tacky to me. I have a 6 year old Antec P-180B right now, but I'm thinking of picking up a Corsair Obsidian 650D. Tons of hard drive space, tons of peripheral space, and it doesn't look like something out of a teenager's wet dream.
Thats why I mentioned I didn't care about the looks. That case is more expensive and lacking in features compared to the thermaltake one.
Morgan19 wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 11:40:
Specifically what cards are considered "above" a 660 Ti?
In pure performance? Thats a $300 card, the $400 670 and the $500 680 are above it. As well as the 690.

You should examine this graphics card tier chart. It shows the confusing ATI cards and what tiers they are in, and the nvidia cards and what tiers they are in, and even the mobile ones.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

This comment was edited on Aug 17, 2012, 13:43.

46. Re: NVIDIA's Free Borderlands 2 Promotion Aug 17, 2012, 12:53 eunichron

Dev wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 10:39:
eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 10:16:
Oh my case is roomy.. I just have 6 HDD's ;p And 6 HDD's need specific HDD cooling with fans n' all.

Well for my next case I am definitely gonna go for a tower case with more width so that this problem doesn't exist.
Nope not roomy. I also have 6 hdds, my case has room for about 15 total. My hdds sit in front of speed controlled 120mm fans. Still plenty of room for graphics cards

If I ever replace it, this one caught my eye recently:
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1393&ID=2048
I like the hdd snap/lock setup, so I never have to swap wires on my hdds when upgrading them. I also like the SATA dock at the top. There's some other neat features in this case. Its all about the features with me, I don't much care how a case looks.

65 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo