Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Community Beta

Valve announces the launch of limited beta testing of their new Steam Community, including access for all to the Team Fortress 2 Steam Community Hub. Here's word:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the launch of a limited access Beta for its new Steam Community features.

The Steam Community Beta is now open to the first 50,000 players who earned the 'Pillar of the Steam Community' badge and includes another invite to share. Beta access will increase incrementally until the public launch.

To celebrate the launch of Team Fortress 2's new game mode, Mann vs. Machine, the Team Fortress 2 Game Hub (http://steamcommunity.com/app/440) is now accessible to everyone.

The new Steam Community update includes:

Game Hubs - Every game on Steam now has a Game Hub, which provides a quick way for users to browse the best of a variety of content as rated by the community at large. Each Game Hub also includes a game-specific discussion area where players can talk about their favorite Steam games.

Group Updates - Player-created groups have been redesigned so it's now easier to see what a group is all about and who is participating in it. Groups now also include public and private discussion areas where they can remain in touch with their own communities.

My Content Updates - The content you've created now lives in one central place with new viewing options including an "image wall" layout that showcases your top-rated content. Also new is the ability to mark screenshots, videos, and workshop items as Favorites to save or share with friends.

Friend Activity - The new feed makes it easy to view, rate, and comment on the content and activities of your friends in a visually-rich and interactive presentation. Players can also broadcast game-specific status updates to start a conversation with their friends, directly in the activity feed.

View
23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

23. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 17, 2012, 18:12 Dades

Creston wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 16:30:
Why don't they just call this Steam Facebook Beta? Since that's what it is.

A Facebook I might actually use then. I actually like social gaming, it's fun when people aren't super competitive about it. Steam is the only real platform where I do this kind of stuff too. I took stupid and funny screenshots to show a buddy, we organize gaming sessions and I look at what my friends are playing and even read their reviews from time to time.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

22. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 17, 2012, 16:30 Creston

Why don't they just call this Steam Facebook Beta? Since that's what it is.

Creston

21. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 17, 2012, 10:44 Dev

I think you can make a fake FB, link it, unlink it, and get the achievement.
xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 17:21:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 16:21:
Afaik you can get a STEAM_ID by just joining a server and typing "status" into the console.

Not entirely true. I believe different Source games will show you a particular specific id for THAT game. Yes? No? I am not home so I can't check. Mine is also pretty low.

/edit: logged into steam webface, and also got a coupon. wtf. worthless....
I dunno about additional specific ids, but it will show your unchanging steam id. Easiest way to do it is to use tf2 since its free.

20. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 21:25 Marvin T. Martian

All I want to do is play a game I bought without hassle.
I have a few games that impose steam validation on me. Once the validation is done, I feel steam and its intrusion should be finished also. However when I buy a day 1 game and play it for many many months--then it is gone from, I cant play, Then I contact support and have to send in a digital pic of my retail code from the manual with Steams' support ticket number printed in ink on the original manual. (and wait days to play again)It is nothing more than intusive DRM that gets in the way of legitimate purchases. I want nothing to do with any extra crap that they want to push on me. I just want to play the games that I paid for and steam DRM just gets in the way.

19. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 17:21 xXBatmanXx

Afaik you can get a STEAM_ID by just joining a server and typing "status" into the console.

Not entirely true. I believe different Source games will show you a particular specific id for THAT game. Yes? No? I am not home so I can't check. Mine is also pretty low.

/edit: logged into steam webface, and also got a coupon. wtf. worthless....

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

18. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 17:12 yuastnav

WaltC wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 16:55:
A PC is a Personal Computer. A Macintosh is a PC. PC doesn’t automatically mean x86, damn it. Politically Correct.

A bit off topic, but I thought I would comment on this. While it is certainly true that "personal computers" don't have to be x86 to be "personal computers," or PCs, today's Mac is 100% x86 and has been for several years. The only substantive difference between a Dell and a "Mac" is the Operating System that ships with each. The Mac will natively run either of two x86 OSes ROOB, or both: Windows and OS X. The Dell runs Windows natively, too, and the only reason you won't find OS X on a Dell is because Apple has intentionally created that situation and has made it "illegal" (both in terms of law and software) to install OS X to any non Apple-branded x86 computer system. Again, Macs are 100% x86 today, so that quote is a tad out of date. (Not to mention the fact that today's "x86" is certainly not "your father's x86", either.)

That may be true but it's really bugging me when people say things like "A Mac and a PC" or "For PC, Mac and Linux" because it's really stupid. Macs are PCs and Linux is also an operating system that is used on PCs and it's really not that difficult to say "For Win(dows), Mac and Linux" or something like that.
This may be (at least partially) attributed to the old "I'm a Mac and I'm a PC" ads but that doesn't make it right (or clever).

But again, you are right.

17. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 17:02 Cutter

Meh, too much work to find Steamid, but I did notice that I do have a 6 year service badge.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

16. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 17:00 Prez

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 14:03:
I just want to play my games. I'd like to play a new game without needing Steam as well. If I want to join a community, I'll go to an external hobby website.

That's a perfectly reasonable expectation. It also means that Steam probably doesn't have a whole lot to offer you, so just don't use it. (Kinda hard with Steamworks games, I know, but Steam is pretty painless honestly). Thankfully there are other services and retail hasn't gone the way of the dodo just yet. Choice is a great thing.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

15. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 16:55 WaltC

A PC is a Personal Computer. A Macintosh is a PC. PC doesn’t automatically mean x86, damn it. Politically Correct.

A bit off topic, but I thought I would comment on this. While it is certainly true that "personal computers" don't have to be x86 to be "personal computers," or PCs, today's Mac is 100% x86 and has been for several years. The only substantive difference between a Dell and a "Mac" is the Operating System that ships with each. The Mac will natively run either of two x86 OSes ROOB, or both: Windows and OS X. The Dell runs Windows natively, too, and the only reason you won't find OS X on a Dell is because Apple has intentionally created that situation and has made it "illegal" (both in terms of law and software) to install OS X to any non Apple-branded x86 computer system. Again, Macs are 100% x86 today, so that quote is a tad out of date. (Not to mention the fact that today's "x86" is certainly not "your father's x86", either.)

It is well known that I do not make mistakes--so if you should happen across a mistake in anything I have written, be assured that I did not write it!

14. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 16:21 yuastnav

13. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 16:18 Beamer

Mine's pretty high, but no surprise - HL2 came out when I had a computer nowhere near up to running it, so I waited about 8 months until I had the time to build a new one and get up and running.

I am, however, in the top 100,000 on LinkedIn.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 16:11 NegaDeath

Frijoles wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 15:54:
loomy wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 15:07:
I have a steam id so low people accuse me of buying it on ebay. I am the real pillar of this community mother fuckers

I've seen mine before, but can't find it now. Any idea where it is?

Edit: nevermind, I found it using a tool to search for it.

We might as well whip em out fellas and do a proper contest.

Me - STEAM_0:0:5190756

Note: apparently this info isn't all that useful for hackers.

11. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 15:54 Frijoles

loomy wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 15:07:
I have a steam id so low people accuse me of buying it on ebay. I am the real pillar of this community mother fuckers

I've seen mine before, but can't find it now. Any idea where it is?

Edit: nevermind, I found it using a tool to search for it.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2012, 16:00.

10. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 15:07 loomy

9. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 14:44 Cutter

Badges? We don't need no steenkin' badges!

Edit:Anyone need a 75% off Portal 2 kewpon? Schteam just sent me one today.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2012, 15:07.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 14:32 nin

Beelzebud wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 13:51:
You'd think the 8 years of service badge would get you in something like this, but I suppose someone that signed up a few months ago, and linked their account to Facebook is more worthy.

For Pillar, you had to do a number of things besides FB. But yeah, it was still possible for a new person to get them quickly.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 14:22 jacobvandy

I thought I was in, because it said I have invites to the Community Beta in my inventory, but I'm not seeing anything changed like it shows in the screenshots...

NEVERMIND, I figured it out. You don't automatically update to it, you have to use one of the invites yourself and it magically transforms the UI.

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2012, 14:28.

6. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 14:12 Beamer

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 14:07:
You'd think the 8 years of service badge would get you in something like this, but I suppose someone that signed up a few months ago, and linked their account to Facebook is more worthy.
Sure would make more sense wouldn't it? I have no interest in facebook or anything like that. Gee, sure was nice that some of us grew up in the age of the 80's and 90's when they said, don't post your private infoz on the BBS's and intertubez.

What makes the most sense is testing the new Community features with the people most using the current Community features, no?

I won't link to my FB, as I have zero desire to advertise my real name on Steam, but I also don't expect to be beta testing features geared towards people that want to share as much as possible.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

5. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 14:10 xXBatmanXx

I linked my wife's FB (I don't have FB) and then unlinked it - got the meta badge.

But looking at what the new offerings are - I guess I really don't care.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

4. Re: Steam Community Beta Aug 16, 2012, 14:07 Mashiki Amiketo

Sure would make more sense wouldn't it? I have no interest in facebook or anything like that. Gee, sure was nice that some of us grew up in the age of the 80's and 90's when they said, don't post your private infoz on the BBS's and intertubez.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

23 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo