Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live

The Team Fortress 2 Website reveals the promised Mann vs. Machine update is now live, adding co-op support to Valve's teamplay shooter. The Mann Up! FAQ has details on how this works, and what you get for purchasing their $0.99 "tour of duty" tickets. Here's an overview:

Valve, creators of bestselling game franchises (such as Half-Life, Portal, Left 4 Dead, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), announced today that Mann vs. Machine (MvM), a new co-operative game for its free-to-play online action title Team Fortress 2 (TF2), is now available to download for free via Steam on PC and Mac.

MvM lets you and five friends fight a lethal horde of robots on all-new maps, with the opportunity to upgrade abilities and weapons along the way. Band together to survive all of the robot waves in a variety of missions to earn incredible loot and unlock new achievements.

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 18, 2012, 02:25 Veterator

Had a number of servers that would FPS crawl once the bots started showing up. FPS was fine once you were dead, crawled when you were alive. I remember there being a bug like this in the past with TF2 for me.

I didn't find it particularly fun. The scout bots once they get the bomb are still faster than most the classes, so you're pretty much boned at that point.

Don't really care for the way the upgrade system works either. It's tied to the weapon you have equipped, so as a heavy if you need to use Natascha to try to slow down those friggin big scout bots, you have the weakest Natascha while your other gun might be nicely upgraded.

And supposedly there's some kind of buy back on the upgrades, but I wasn't sure how to do it....saw it at the end of an invasion in the totals.

It needs traps, blocks, or something to make it less blah. Like things you can unlock on the map with your credits instead of upgrades.....barricades, platforms they can't get to, ammo stations, health stations...something.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 18, 2012, 01:58 PHJF

Got around to playing a bit tonight... This is incredibly, mind-numbingly boring. Tower defense without towers (and tower defense is already done-to-death/boring).  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

39. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 17, 2012, 19:38 Mordecai Walfish

To get into a MvM server avoid the Co-Op selection on the main menu screen and go to the server browser instead.

Just filter for "mvm", find a server with less than 6 players on it (*always* right click and view info before joining-- the server browser likes to lie) The beginners level is "mvm_Decoy" if you want to start off there to learn.

That way you avoid lines completely, but you may join a server that is part-way into a round. Doesnt really matter as you typically get more loot to start with and upgrade immediately to take on the advanced threat.

Pretty fun so far =) I noticed they just updated as well, so maybe the match finder is smoothed out too.. either way this will get in you in very quick.

38. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 17, 2012, 18:13 nin

It appears as if the waiting times are something they thought was going to be normal, as the pay to play part is where you jump the line to get on their premium servers.

Wow, seriously? That's...not good at all.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

37. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 17, 2012, 16:01 rist3903

It appears as if the waiting times are something they thought was going to be normal, as the pay to play part is where you jump the line to get on their premium servers. Don't think this will fly when people have the option of regular TF2 and playing immediately, though.  

36. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 17, 2012, 15:14 nin

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 17, 2012, 11:53:
Was trying to play, but it wants to put me in some sort of stupid ass waiting line?

No thanks.

Sounds like it's a little too successful...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

35. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 17, 2012, 14:25 rist3903

I have tried this twice. First time I got into a server it was a slideshow, second time I got a message 'bad password'. Waited about 15 minutes both times. Probably going to wait a week or so before trying it again.

34. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 17, 2012, 11:53 xXBatmanXx

Was trying to play, but it wants to put me in some sort of stupid ass waiting line?

No thanks.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

33. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 17, 2012, 09:21 RailWizard

Still haven't been able to try this.

Yesterday it was 45min cue, said fuck that.

Today it was 7mins, I wait, it finishes by telling me "bad password". Wtf? Tried again and it said 7mins, then 1min later it said 25mins, again said fuck that.

So 3rd attempt still pending...

32. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 22:51 Bhruic

Turns out that you can play with less than 6 people (it defaults to needing 3).

tf_mvm_min_players_to_start X (where X is the number needed to start, obviously).

31. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 20:13 Panickd

Overon wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 15:46:
The queue wait time estimate is rediculous. What is up with this console style "wait to play" bullshit. If I thought that was aceptable I would be playing console games with this kind of shit.

I thought the above and then I used the steam server browser. I was shocked to discover that there were MvM games I could join from it. But what was shocking is that the player count on these servers looked like 23/24 and 31/32 and I though 6 players was the max. I discovered that the rest of the players were SPECTATORS!

If you look at the server info in the server browser you'll see that the majority of those extra slots are taken up by the blue team bots which is kind of wonky.

I have also noticed that the matchmaking system doesn't give two shits if the server it sends you to after waiting for 40 minutes is password protected which gets you booted instantly back to the main screen. I have also gotten a number of "failed to connect after 4 retries" errors which also boots you back to the main menu. It seems if you want to play at all right now you either need to host your own game or fork $1 over to Valve to play on the official servers.

30. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 19:52 Koshmar

apparently it's only ? minutes before I can get in...  

29. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 18:45 Wildone

I guess those on funemployment have 72 mins to wait around to play a game./  

28. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 18:30 mag

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 17:58:
So are the items you get in Mann Up mode just cosmetic, or are they weapons and such?

They answered this somewhere. They're just cosmetic.

27. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 17:58 Wowbagger_TIP

So are the items you get in Mann Up mode just cosmetic, or are they weapons and such?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

26. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 17:19 Dev

http://www.teamfortress.com/mvm/bounty/
As with all things TF2, Mann vs. Machine is 100% free to play. If you're in the mood to grab a gun, hit the Upgrade Station and shoot the shine off some blood-hungry robots, then welcome to the war effort, because we could use a few good mercs.

But once the smoke's cleared on the battlefield, if you're the sort of merc who appreciates a good souvenir to remember a war by, or if you're just looking to let the whole world know what a bolt-chewing, bot-breaking old war-dog you are, grab a Tour of Duty Ticket from the Mann Co. Store and get ready to Mann Up. Mann Up Mode will get you rare item drops that respectfully commemorate your war against the robots by draping pieces of them on yourself.

[emphasis added]

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2012, 17:32.

25. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 17:13 Dev

DG wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 15:09:
... is that the first ticket will be used up when you win a mission for the first time. Buy a second and you can keep getting in for that mission, without using it up. But, win a different mission and it will get used up - however if you now buy a third ticket you can play away at those 2 missions.

But I'm considering my conclusions as little more than speculation at this point, given a) I'm not buying tickets and b) I can't get into MvM anyway (matchmaking server is busy or whatever).
Thats not how I read it. The Ticket for 99 cents and the voucher for $2, are separate things. The ticket won't be consumed if you redo stuff you've already done.

But it doesn't say it WILL be consumed. My guess though is that the 99 cents is for one chain of missions on the valve servers.

Probably another experiment by valve, this time to see how much people are willing to pay to play on official servers.

24. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 16:00 Wowbagger_TIP

Seems like it'll be at least next week before it's relatively easy to get into a game.  

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

23. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 15:46 Overon

The queue wait time estimate is rediculous. What is up with this console style "wait to play" bullshit. If I thought that was aceptable I would be playing console games with this kind of shit.

I thought the above and then I used the steam server browser. I was shocked to discover that there were MvM games I could join from it. But what was shocking is that the player count on these servers looked like 23/24 and 31/32 and I though 6 players was the max. I discovered that the rest of the players were SPECTATORS!

22. Re: TF2 Mann vs. Machine Live Aug 16, 2012, 15:09 DG

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 14:50:
Is that ticket a one-time purchase that gives you unlimited access or what?
Dunno, my best guess from that faq ...
Q: Are my Tickets or Vouchers consumed even if we lose the game or are disconnected?
No. Tour of Duty Tickets and Squad Surplus Vouchers are ONLY consumed upon successful completion of a Mission. If you do not beat the Mission for any reason, then your Tickets and Vouchers will not be consumed and can be used again later.
Q: What if I complete a Mission that I have already completed on my Tour of Duty Badge?
In this case, your Tour of Duty Ticket will not be consumed, and your ToDB progress will not be updated. Squad Surplus Vouchers, however, will always be redeemed for items when a Mission is completed successfully.
... is that the first ticket will be used up when you win a mission for the first time. Buy a second and you can keep getting in for that mission, without using it up. But, win a different mission and it will get used up - however if you now buy a third ticket you can play away at those 2 missions.

But I'm considering my conclusions as little more than speculation at this point, given a) I'm not buying tickets and b) I can't get into MvM anyway (matchmaking server is busy or whatever).

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo