Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Planetary Annihilation Kickstart

This Kickstarter is for a game called Planetary Annihilation, a "next generation" RTS game that developer Uber Entertainment says will offer "Total Annihilation-inspired gameplay on a planetary scale." Uber is the company behind Monday Night Combat, it includes veterans of the genre who have contributed to Total Annihilation, Command & Conquer, Supreme Commander, and Demigod. Word is: "We all know that the RTS genre has taken a hit. There just arenít that many quality original RTS games coming out. If you love to play games like Total Annihilation your options are pretty limited. This is where Planetary Annihilation comes in. It is meant to be a truly innovative spin on what RTS games can and should be." Thanks Chiechien and Sylvester.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Sep 14, 2012, 13:19 Beamer

Wow, this game is beautiful.

A shame I don't much like RTS games, and don't fully trust their AI given how much their discuss multiplayer, but man, those graphics make me want to play an RTS.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Sep 14, 2012, 01:38 hyperwired

I called it :). Hit 2M with 14 hours to go  

13. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 16, 2012, 21:56 hyperwired

Prediction: this is going to go way over, past 2 million dollars.  

12. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 16, 2012, 13:50 jdreyer

Creston wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 00:35:
jacobvandy wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 23:45:
I wish Hidden Path would have set the amount higher for Defense Grid 2, as their little experiment of a low goal with long stretch targets laid out at the beginning didn't work so well. I think they would have raised a lot more if they had been more straightforward.

Had they simply said "1 million dollars and you'll get DG2" I would have chipped in a hundred bucks. Because that way I'd have known (well, reasonably known) that EITHER I get DG2, or I'm not out of any money.

With the way they did it, I could have chipped in a hundred bucks, and all I'd have gotten potentially was 8 new levels for the first game. 8 new levels that will likely cost 10 bucks on Steam when they are released.

So yeah, I think they made a pretty big mistake doing it the way they did. A lot of people were worried they were going to fund stuff they didn't really want, and who knew if and when DG2 was ever going to get made.

Creston

Excellent point Creston, I KS'd the DG2 at the $15 level on the assumption I would only be getting the expansion (1st tier). Luckily, it sounds like Hidden Path is pretty committed to DG2 (From the KS page):

We're working to cross the minimum and fund Defense Grid: Containment. But please also understand that by joining the team as a backer, you'll also get a copy of DG2 when we release it. We'll need to do extra work on our end to earn or raise the remaining funds in order to complete DG2, but when we do, you'll still be a part of the team. Crossing $250,000 gets you DG:Containment this December, and DG2 when it is complete.
(Emphasis mine) So it sounds like by hook or by crook they'll get it done.

Hopefully Planet Annihilation makes their goal though. I live TA/SC style games.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

11. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 16, 2012, 11:13 Numinar

I always expected Total Annihilation 2 would go for the whole globe thing... probably well beyond the power of PC's at the time. Probably beyond the power of PC's now, hence the cartoon graphics. Removing map borders as a strategic consideration is cool though, chokepoints will have to be made with defences.

The interplanetary stuff is just gravy. I imagine it will work like the Superweapons and Bertha batteries in TA, where your opponent builds them to funnel your efforts towards them and away from his secret power stationss.

10. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 16, 2012, 09:31 mellis

It looks awesome. Totally worth watching their visualization video, gave me Total Annihilation goosebumps!  

9. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 16, 2012, 07:39 SpectralMeat

This is the very first kickstarter project I've paid into. I've loved TA and I am still playing SC and SC2. These are the type of strategy games I love to play, not the free to play online facebook MMO bullshit that EA turned C&C into  

Steam: SpectralMeat

8. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 16, 2012, 02:03 jacobvandy

Just to be clear, everyone that did back the DG2 Kickstarter WILL get Defense Grid 2 when it comes out, despite them only reaching the goal for Containment. It's just going to take longer now [probably] with them having to get the money elsewhere (though I wouldn't be surprised if they give KS another whack later). Plus they were giving away codes for the original base game, Awakening, as soon as you pledged... Which was probably a little too generous of them, as I'm sure plenty of people backed out and ran off with the free game.  

7. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 16, 2012, 00:35 Creston

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 23:45:
I wish Hidden Path would have set the amount higher for Defense Grid 2, as their little experiment of a low goal with long stretch targets laid out at the beginning didn't work so well. I think they would have raised a lot more if they had been more straightforward.

Had they simply said "1 million dollars and you'll get DG2" I would have chipped in a hundred bucks. Because that way I'd have known (well, reasonably known) that EITHER I get DG2, or I'm not out of any money.

With the way they did it, I could have chipped in a hundred bucks, and all I'd have gotten potentially was 8 new levels for the first game. 8 new levels that will likely cost 10 bucks on Steam when they are released.

So yeah, I think they made a pretty big mistake doing it the way they did. A lot of people were worried they were going to fund stuff they didn't really want, and who knew if and when DG2 was ever going to get made.

Creston

6. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 16, 2012, 00:16 Tumbler

Wow! I was expecting very little when I visited that kickstarter page. Really like the art style and the mechanics of moving between planets. I was a heartbeat away from going in at $95...need to pace myself...can't jump in fully just yet. Let's see what this Tshirt looks like then we'll talk big money.

That $1000 level where you get your own custom commander is pretty awesome...

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

5. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 15, 2012, 23:45 jacobvandy

jdreyer wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 23:23:
EDIT: I also wanted to say that $900K is kind of a crazy goal, but obviously you need cash to make a game like this.

I'm actually quite glad developers are getting comfortable about listing higher amounts as Kickstarter goals. It's more honest/realistic. Yeah, you could make a decently-produced game for three, four, or five hundred thousand, but there hasn't been a single big project where they weren't ecstatic to get $1 million+. Why? Because that really gives them the freedom and ability to do the game right.

Remember how Fargo was fully-prepared to match the $500k KS goal for Wasteland 2 with his own money? He knew it would take at least that much to make it, but they were scared to ask the full amount from people because only Double Fine and reached those heights before. Now we've had probably a dozen projects get up into the high six figures, so newer ventures are dropping some of that pretense.

4. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 15, 2012, 23:23 Frijoles

Consider my interest piqued.  

3. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 15, 2012, 23:23 jdreyer

I kickstarted this. I'm a huge TA fan (obviously, from my avatar) as well as SC, and even SC2. I've played most RTSs ever made, having been hooked back in the early days of the genre with Dune II.

Yeah, not sure I totally like the Seussian/Spore/Warcraft art style (although they are calling this "game visualization" so maybe this isn't the final design), as I prefer more realistic looking units. However, it's really the scope and gameplay that matter with this type of game, and they look like they have it in spades with what they're trying to do. Like Prez, I'm really a SP vs. AI kind of guy, with occasional forays into coop vs. AI, and this supports that (just like TA & SC), so Uber, do your best.

EDIT: I also wanted to say that $900K is kind of a crazy goal, but obviously you need cash to make a game like this.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

2. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 15, 2012, 22:41 Cutter

Interesting art/visual style.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

1. Re: Planetary Annihilation Kickstart Aug 15, 2012, 22:17 Annex

This game is going to be huge!  

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer