Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer

EA announces Command & Conquer, a new free-to-play online strategy game (which they are calling a "destination"), saying this will now include the BioWare-developed project originally announced as Command & Conquer Generals 2. This is to launch next year, and they are currently signing up beta testers on this site, where they have more details, and this new trailer. Here's word:

An all-out war rages in Command & Conquer, as players take control of multiple factions, compete for resources, build up operation bases and lead massive batteries of tanks, soldiers and aircrafts into battle. With incredibly detailed units, fully destructible environments, dynamic physics and exhilarating visual effects, Command & Conquer is poised to re-define what gamers expect from a strategy game. Heralding feedback driven design, Command & Conquer will evolve and develop with an expanding array of new content based on community response.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

27. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 15:02 Fantaz

No singe-player campaign? WTF?? y u no Generals 2?  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 14:58 eunichron

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 14:50:
Blacklight IS pay-to-win... They do that same bullshit as Battlefield where you never get to unlock new weapons permanently unless you pay money. It's all one- or three-day unlocks with the free in-game currency you earn by playing. So you can either play all day in order to earn ONE weapon unlock to use the next day, or throw some money down and unlock various (and better) weapons so you have more utility and flexibility.

You can unlock weapons permanently in Blacklight Retribution using the in-game currency, albeit at a drastically increased cost (5500GP vs. 200GP for a receiver). It's a setting in account options. Although, I still haven't had any problems dominating some games still using just the basic loadout, so I still would not say that anyone who pays for items in that game have any real advantage.

25. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 14:50 jacobvandy

Well, shit...

Battlefield Play4Free does not give me much confidence that EA can or will do F2P right. But the game does look sexy as hell, so I'm willing to withhold judgment for now. HOWEVER, I will say that a lack of single-player campaign and/or bot skirmish mode will be a deal-breaker. I almost NEVER play RTS games online, unless it's with a group of friends that decide to get together for it once in a blue moon.

This is absolutely true, and if F2P wasn't profitable no company would do it, but there is still a stark line between F2P and P2W. LoL, T:A, Blacklight Retribution, are F2P, but I have not heard anyone accuse them of being P2W.

Blacklight IS pay-to-win... They do that same bullshit as Battlefield where you never get to unlock new weapons permanently unless you pay money. It's all one- or three-day unlocks with the free in-game currency you earn by playing. So you can either play all day in order to earn ONE weapon unlock to use the next day, or throw some money down and unlock various (and better) weapons so you have more utility and flexibility.

24. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 14:50 Verno

I really don't like the idea of paying to unlock units and I actually enjoyed the silly SP campaigns from prior games so I'll be avoiding this game, free or otherwise. The MP side of RTS games is all about tight balance and I do not see EA doing cosmetic touches only.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

23. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 14:45 eunichron

Prez wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 14:30:
Everyone says that "you can earn everything that can be bought just by playing!" but think about it - the game is FREE. The developers want you to spend money. Hell, they. NEED you to spend money. It therefore stands to reason that they would make the 'buying' choice a far more enticing proposition than the 'earning'.

This is absolutely true, and if F2P wasn't profitable no company would do it, but there is still a stark line between F2P and P2W. LoL, T:A, Blacklight Retribution, are F2P, but I have not heard anyone accuse them of being P2W. Dota2 and TF2 may be the "purest" F2P models, but not every company can pull off what Valve has done with them, simply because Valve has the clout to do so.

Your points about single player aside (and I agree, I rarely ever played C&C multiplayer, it was always a single player/vs. AI/vs. friends game for me), I would hesitate to accuse it of being P2W until we know exactly how the game will be monetized.

22. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 14:30 Prez

So it may be pay to win and it may not. But regardless of that all F2P games share certain traits:

1) The singleplayer is most likely non- existent, and if it is there it is an afterthought at best because there's no moneymaking oppportunities.

2) It will be online- only.

3) You will play online with other people whether or not you prefer to.

4) There will be a grind. It may be massive. It may be less so. But it WILL be there.

5) There will be loot, trinkets, bling... whatever you call it - which means there will be an online auction house and/or cash shop. There has not been one single game I have seen or played that has not suffered gameplay- wise from the inclusion of an auction house/cash shop (Unless I missed the one guy who argues that loot. drops are better in Diablo 3 than they were in 2?). There are too many arbitrary limitations and concessions required in the design neccessitated by the inclusion of the auction house/cash shop for the gameplay and the design to be as good were those not included.

Everyone says that "you can earn everything that can be bought just by playing!" but think about it - the game is FREE. The developers want you to spend money. Hell, they. NEED you to spend money. It therefore stands to reason that they would make the 'buying' choice a far more enticing proposition than the 'earning'.

Hell, just item 1. (No singleplayer) is more than enough to turn me off to the F2P model, but even if it wasn't together all of the negatives together make F2P a lose-lose proposition.

And before anyone asks, yes, I did try Tribes Ascendency. Didn't like it.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

21. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 13:27 JAGUART

Because Free2Play worked so well with Age of Empires and Company of Heroes. Screw this crap. Piece of shit Pay2Win in an RTS. It's ridiculous. This is a damn shame. A damn shame.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2012, 13:33.

"I like to play female characters in MMORPGs to trick men into homosexual chat." - space captain, June 18th, 2009.

20. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 13:26 Necrophob

"Heralding feedback driven design, Command & Conquer will evolve and develop with an expanding array of new content based on community response."

So they'll change the f2p aspect after a player backlash to the pay2win design?

19. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 13:15 Devinoch

As an ex-Westwood Studios guy, this depresses the fuck out of me. But it seems like the days of RTS have passed, at least for a while.  

18. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 13:12 Herzog

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 11:14:
Pay $1 now to fire Ion Cannon

Ok I don't know anything about this game in any iteration, but that post made me laugh out loud.

17. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 13:02 MattyC

I can't say for sure as I obviously have not played it, but I feel there is roughly a 99.9% chance of '*UGH* right in the childhood!'  

16. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 12:44 John

Verno wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 10:12:
Singleplayer games better not go the way of the dodo.
It won't completely but it sucks how things are getting. Diablo 3 is supposed to be single player but they had to require an internet connection for some BS reason.

This space is available for rent

15. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 12:36 Lokust

It looks almost as good as Company of Heroes. Not the new sequel coming out, mind you. The original.  

14. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 12:33 Dev

deqer wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 10:15:
It's not even the full game, unless you buy items within the game. That's what the F2P model is, otherwise why would a company do it. Money.
Thats called p2w (pay 2 win). And yes, lots of companies do that. But SOME f2p titles are properly designed and you mostly get cosmetic stuff if you pay for things, and NOT gaming advantages.

And yes, thats why companies do any sort of F2P model, money. Its in the hopes that because of the much larger audience, the small fraction of people who pay will end up being larger than then having a small audience pay full price for a complete game

deqer wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 10:15:
EA thinks they can do what Blizzard did with D3? Take some shiny title "Command and Conquer", and make a F2P online-only game to shove down our throats, and we'll buy it without thinking twice because it's shiny and says C&C on it? Sigh...
Yep, and every other company big and small is going to think the same thing. Exactly as everyone has rushed to jump into the MMO market because of WoW's success (and most have failed).

13. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 12:20 SimplyMonk

So they turned C&C into a Michael Bay movie? Inflated ticket price and concessions included?  

12. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 12:20 Darks

Prez wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 10:08:
Goddammit!

Well there goes the neighborhood, PC gaming is going to a new all time low with this free to pay shit. The only way to make this fail is for everyone to not support it. Let it die, hopefully it will and EA gets htis message loud and clear.

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/eye-of-the-beholder-ii-ledgend-of-darkmoon

11. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 11:37 s1mon75

Requires Origin? Check!

Fuck off and die EA. Yet another IP you have destroyed.

F2P, which really means Pay2Win can work. But EA, like Sony have no clue how to find that balance between generating revenue and keeping it enjoyable for those who dont pay the micro transactions. These are mainly kids or adults with kids, who can barely justify $50 for a game.

10. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 11:22 Parallax Abstraction

Free-to-play, meaning likely no campaign. Well, there goes any interest I had in that project.  
Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

9. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 11:17 HorrorScope

Marketing these days has nothing to do with what they customers are wanting and developing to that need. It's about what do we need to do and can it somehow be plausible? I mean who is asking for this in any type of size-able market?  

8. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 11:14 NegaDeath

Pay $1 now to fire Ion Cannon  

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo