Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer

EA announces Command & Conquer, a new free-to-play online strategy game (which they are calling a "destination"), saying this will now include the BioWare-developed project originally announced as Command & Conquer Generals 2. This is to launch next year, and they are currently signing up beta testers on this site, where they have more details, and this new trailer. Here's word:

An all-out war rages in Command & Conquer, as players take control of multiple factions, compete for resources, build up operation bases and lead massive batteries of tanks, soldiers and aircrafts into battle. With incredibly detailed units, fully destructible environments, dynamic physics and exhilarating visual effects, Command & Conquer is poised to re-define what gamers expect from a strategy game. Heralding feedback driven design, Command & Conquer will evolve and develop with an expanding array of new content based on community response.

View
67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

47. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 20:05 Closed Betas

Hopefully will meet my expectations and run in a browser /sarcasm Sorry, not interested in your alpha, err i mean beta.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 20:00 Rea1One

Who cares about the crappy campaign mode, The First Generals was really about the "multiplayer". Now C&C Generals 2 is F2P don't have to spend money to jump right in the MP game and enjoy the gorgeous frostbite 2 engine is great I think.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2012, 20:18.

45. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 19:35 Bhruic

Hudson187 wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 19:21:
And I just canceled my pre-order from Amazon.

Wouldn't that have been cancelled automatically anyway? Seeing as the game doesn't actually cost any upfront money anymore...

44. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 19:21 Hudson187

And I just canceled my pre-order from Amazon.

I've enjoyed the hell out of the first Generals and its expansion Zero Hour; many nights of coop compstomps.

Thanks again, EA.

43. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 19:18 jdreyer

Prez wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 14:30:
So it may be pay to win and it may not. But regardless of that all F2P games share certain traits:

1) The singleplayer is most likely non- existent, and if it is there it is an afterthought at best because there's no moneymaking oppportunities.

2) It will be online- only.

3) You will play online with other people whether or not you prefer to.

4) There will be a grind. It may be massive. It may be less so. But it WILL be there.

5) There will be loot, trinkets, bling... whatever you call it - which means there will be an online auction house and/or cash shop.
Hell, just item 1. (No singleplayer) is more than enough to turn me off to the F2P model, but even if it wasn't together all of the negatives together make F2P a lose-lose proposition.

My feelings exactly. Thanks, Prez.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

42. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 19:02 Crustacean Soup

I'm not about to go all crazy negative yet; I have actually enjoyed some F2P games. Have yet to see an F2P strategy game that isn't crazy P2W, but it could happen. I'll just keep up the usual skepticism until I can actually try it.  

41. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 18:59 Dev

StratX wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 18:36:
Hey EA!
Wanna make even more money?
Give your customers what they want and then charge them monthly to leave them alone.
Actually, I'd pay monthly to NOT have to use origin, and use steam instead for a few EA titles. It would only be like $1 a month, but I'd pay.

40. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 18:36 StratX

Hey EA!
Wanna make even more money?
Give your customers what they want and then charge them monthly to leave them alone.

39. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 18:29 Mashiki Amiketo

All aboard the S.S. Failtrain. Next stop, bottom of the Atlantic. Crew get off at this stop, and walk behind the building. Please take these complementary earplu*BLAM* ...I mean, life enhancement plugs. And walk behind the building in a orderly fashion.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

38. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 17:21 Cutter

How does this look, nin? How does it look?

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

37. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 16:58 Dev

eunichron wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 14:45:
Dota2 and TF2 may be the "purest" F2P models, but not every company can pull off what Valve has done with them, simply because Valve has the clout to do so.
I'm not sure its their "clout" thats getting them a hugely higher conversion rate than the industry standard for F2P games. I think its more than valve is taking care of their customers with TF2 and the game is fun to play. And getting continual free content updates that any other company would probably charge for as DLC.

36. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 16:56 Tumbler

Wasn't Bioware involved in this?

*Checking commandandconquer.com/free*

Yep Bioware...and someone named Victory Games. Looks pretty. I'm kind of happy it's "free" because I don't expect this to be good and to verify that for $0 instead of $60 is fine by me.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

35. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 16:53 Sleeeeepy

w...wait... what? What just happened? Where am I? What is this? I don't get it. Hold me.  

34. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 16:50 Lokust

Will it have rampant online cheating at the height of it's popularity like the original Generals did?  

33. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 16:31 LittleMe

To me it's all about execution. They could do it right, or fail. Will it have an advanced tournament system? Will it have the ability to mute or kick trolls? Will they dumb down the ability to pick what server we play on? For that mater, will it even have dedicated servers? Will it have a coop campaign? To me these are more important questions than f2p.

Political freedom can only be preceded by economic freedom which is preceded by monetary freedom.

32. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 16:30 Prez

ASeven wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 16:02:
Another series gone the way of the dodo. Fucking hell I doubt we'll see a proper C&C game after this one, especially if this one fails financially.

I'm hoping for a CnC kickstarter sometime in the future. The problem is the terribly-scriped and acted, hammed up FMV performances are part of the charm of the CnC games, and I highly doubt any kickstarter project would include those.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

31. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 16:13 SpectralMeat

Next step for EA is to turn all these franchises into Facebook games. All the hardcorezz gamerzz are on the consoles anyways. Disappointed  

Steam: SpectralMeat

30. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 16:02 ASeven

Another series gone the way of the dodo. Fucking hell I doubt we'll see a proper C&C game after this one, especially if this one fails financially.  

29. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 16:02 SpectralMeat

Good thing CoH2 is coming out, I have 0 interest to play an always online MP only RTS game, no matter how pretty it looks.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

28. Re: C&C Generals 2 Becoming F2P Command & Conquer Aug 15, 2012, 15:52 DangerDog

other than playing the original C&C games on a LAN I completely avoid the multiplayer portion of these games, shame that EA had to screw this up was looking forward to it for single player with frostbyte engine and all.

67 Replies. 4 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo