Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Diablo III 1.04 Details

A post on the Diablo III Website has more on planned changes in the upcoming version 1.04 patch for Diablo III, outlining how they will change the Legendary items in Blizzard's action/RPG to help them better live up to that label. This includes the addition of new affixes and they go on to describe their hopes that this will introduce more build diversity to the game. They also explain the ill conceived planning that made legendaries "kind of crappy," and how they are looking to de-crappify them going forward. They also talk about how this will impact set items (which are also legendary items themselves), and offer this video showing how the artists have been working to make these items have cooler appearances.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 16, 2012, 10:48 InBlack

I get what your saying Verno, but thats a really really lousy excuse. Akin to the other excuse, that D3 is in its infancy and that D2 sucked at release. Its not like they had to sign a contract "Thou shalt forget the better parts of D2:LOD...." when they started to work on the game.

All the developers claimed that (Jay Wilson especially) they were huge fans of Diablo and D2 but apart from the same point and click gameplay that never really translated into D3.

With 1.04 around the corner, things might be changing for the better, but I will adopt the wait and see approach. My biggest fear is that they will nerf the game into the dirt and that all incentive to play will vanish. Hopefully the game still remains challenging enough and the nerfs to the difficulty are specific nerfs of certain monster affix combinations.

I have a nifty blue line!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 16, 2012, 10:16 Verno

The acts are terrible. The first one is actually great, so I won't mention it further. Act 2 is meh, and then 3 and 4 feel just rushed and incomplete. What the hell happened? It needs to be fun to do the acts in order to motivate us to replay the game endlessly... There are also no rewards in the acts themselves, other than regular loot. Give us a reason to replay them...

There are certainly many aspects of Diablo 3 that seem rushed or incomplete. The water temple level in Act 1 is a good example, you can see it was meant to be something much grander but they just kinda gave up on it and had the stupid butterfly lady show up as usual to spirit you away to a different location.

As an aside, they really messed up making the focus on the silly champion packs instead of the bosses IMO.

How the hell did Blizzard screw the pooch so much with this one is beyond me. I mean they invented digital crack ffs...

As Elessar and a few others have pointed out in past threads, a lot of the people who made Diablo 2 have since moved onto other things. This is a team that has people from a few different generations of gaming and you can see a lot of that design conflict at play in the game unfortunately. At least they seem willing to listen and fix their mistakes so I still maintain the game can be made fun again.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

45. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 16, 2012, 10:08 InBlack

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 09:27:
The item drop rate in Diablo 2 wasn't wonderful either in terms of finding useful things consistently. The game had a shitload of dupes and stuff bloating everything up, tons of MP games were just dudes dropping duped items everywhere on the ground.

Where Diablo 2 differed was that you at least got a large variety of set, unique and rare drops that you could mix and match on different characters. Stuff that wasn't immediately useful could at least be saved for set completion and use on a different character. That is another problem with Diablo 3, there is no reason to roll other characters (one for each class mostly) due to both the skill system being so simplistic and respecs. Even with the respec tokens in Diablo 2 (patch 1.13) you still could build wildly different characters with attributes and make further use of different items.

Items in Diablo 2 lasted a lot longer too due to the way the items and the games skill system interacted. Diablo 3 is more like an MMO game where you replace things regularly which kind of blows. There is no way to advance your character without doing so due to the way they neutered the skill/attribute systems.

Dont forget progression to lvl 99 and the elaborate ladder system.
In my opinion the worst possible mistake that Blizzard did was devolve the gameplay of D2 into the WoW like CAP system, where the game is really supposed to 'begin' when you hit cap.

This is deeply flawed game design and I hope that whoever thought of that system is fired immediately or at least flogged in public. 50 lashes.

The main reason why this is so flawed is that there is no NEW gameplay mechanic at cap. When you design a game with MMO mechanics then those mechanics require an endgame.

Diablo never had an endgame, Diablo2 didnt have one either. They didnt need it. Progressing to 99 gave every player an incremental upgrade every lvl and even without finding (or trading for) a worthwile upgrade your character became ever so slightly more powerful at each lvl.

This is sorely missing from D3. Its sorely needed, and I hope they will bring it back in an expansion. Although I fear all hope may be lost.

Another thing I just though of, leveling provides an incentive for players to return to the game. A REAL incentive, not a 0.00001% chance that they will maybe find that mythical 1500dps rare. So its THE ultimate proverbial carrot on a stick that.

How the hell did Blizzard screw the pooch so much with this one is beyond me. I mean they invented digital crack ffs...

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2012, 10:16.

44. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 16, 2012, 09:52 ItBurn

Might as well post my #3 problem.
To recap:
#1 horrible skill system.
#2 terrible drops/forced auction house.
#3 The acts suck.

The acts are terrible. The first one is actually great, so I won't mention it further. Act 2 is meh, and then 3 and 4 feel just rushed and incomplete. What the hell happened? It needs to be fun to do the acts in order to motivate us to replay the game endlessly... There are also no rewards in the acts themselves, other than regular loot. Give us a reason to replay them...

D2's acts were so much fun. So much more unique. Even the D2 desert beats the D3 one easily. D3's world is so bland and uninspired(still not talking about act1). Everything looks generic, featureless. I mean, remember the desert tombs, the jungle, the jungle temples, the sewers, the rivers of lava...

Cool, detailed, creepy tomb: D2
Generic, bland, wtf is this: D3

43. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 16, 2012, 09:43 ItBurn

Verno wrote on Aug 16, 2012, 09:27:
The item drop rate in Diablo 2 wasn't wonderful either in terms of finding useful things consistently. The game had a shitload of dupes and stuff bloating everything up, tons of MP games were just dudes dropping duped items everywhere on the ground.

Where Diablo 2 differed was that you at least got a large variety of set, unique and rare drops that you could mix and match on different characters. Stuff that wasn't immediately useful could at least be saved for set completion and use on a different character. That is another problem with Diablo 3, there is no reason to roll other characters (one for each class mostly) due to both the skill system being so simplistic and respecs. Even with the respec tokens in Diablo 2 (patch 1.13) you still could build wildly different characters with attributes and make further use of different items.

Items in Diablo 2 lasted a lot longer too due to the way the items and the games skill system interacted. Diablo 3 is more like an MMO game where you replace things regularly which kind of blows. There is no way to advance your character without doing so due to the way they neutered the skill/attribute systems.

This is actually my #1 problem with D3. First time I hear someone else complain... The skill system. There's absolutely no progression. The whole game is a tutorial until lvl 60 where all skills are unlocked. Then it becomes an action game. I want to use only the skills that I like, not the ones that I'm forced to use because they're the only ones that work. I want to spend points in the skills I like, making them stronger and continue using them! There's also no reason to have several characters with the same class. In D2, you could have wildly different builds and that was so awesome.

42. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 16, 2012, 09:27 Verno

This comment was edited on Aug 16, 2012, 09:32.

41. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 16, 2012, 09:21 ItBurn

MoreLuckThanSkill wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 20:48:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 11:01:
Some classes require you to shop in the auction house as soon as nightmare to be able to continue. Unacceptable, and it apparently isn't planned to be changed.

? I have every class at Inferno or into Hell at this point, and your statement simply isn't true. Normal and Nightmare modes are pretty much roflstomp, faceroll, or your term of choice for ludicrously easy, with any gear you find. I haven't used the RMAH at all, and only used the GAH to buy some blacksmith plans(a huge mistake ) for like 20k. All my gear is found by myself or by my coop partners, and I'm up to Act 3 inferno on my barb, Act 2 Inferno on my WD and Monk.

To be fair, there were certainly some dry spells for my WD as he leveled up first, where he had woefully underpowered gear, but he still completed Normal and Nightmare with ease. Only Belial in Hell gave him any trouble at all, and I had to farm a bit to get some more hp, and drop my beloved pet spec.

Yeah, no. The problem isn't that I suck. If you read my other post, I say that I do have a monk that completed nightmare so easily that I didn,t even need to look at what I was doing.

It simply isn't the case with my wizard. It's probably because I simply got terrible drops. I refuse to use the auction house, and I'm soloing, I don't want to have friends give me weapons.

What I want to do is entirely within reason and supposedly fully supported by the game, but it isn't. I got terrible gear, making the game a loop of death.

40. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 16, 2012, 09:00 Verno

Yes that is true, but this is a boost not a nerf. How could anyone be mad about getting better items with no work?

This wasn't posed to me but I can answer it. It's not necessarily a "boost", rerolling an item could mean that you lose a favorable stat entirely even if its damage goes up. Maybe you wanted int instead of strength but now its strength, whoops too bad. Maybe it has no stats at all after a reroll, just armor and stuff like gold find.

Diablo isn't like WoW where they are dozens of in-game mechanics to account for legacy items. You're expected to go out and collect the stuff and when they change items you do it all over again if you want the newer versions. That's the right way to do it. That's how it has always been and that's the overriding reason to play the game, collecting cool things.

39. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 16, 2012, 07:31 InBlack

Hey anyone remember that story about an alpha playtester who got fired from Blizzard a few months before the closed beta???

Basically he said he got fired because he kept telling his boss(es) that the game is really boring, the items uninteresting and the story horribly cheesy.

At the time I thought it was just a made up story, I mean why would Blizzard mess with a proven Diablo formula? Also if it were true who in their right mind fires a person for doing his job properly?

38. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 23:51 Eirikrautha

Dades wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 21:38:
RailWizard wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 21:05:
Still pissed legendary changes are not retroactive. I see NO reason for that at all other than blizz being the typical holes they always have been.

2 whole legendary items in all my time of playing, which I kept because while they are useless they are rare as fuck, so why not keep them. I don't have any legendary recipes, so the craft material isn't needed.Forced timesink is the only reason.

You can't retroactively change items from under peoples feet. Some of them paid money for them, it would be unfair and probably lead to a lawsuit. They also can't just give you a new version of an item without rerolling its stats which could make it worse for your character, this is mentioned right in the post. D3 sucks for many reasons but this isn't one of them.

But they could give you a choice. Put a button on the legendaries that you have to click in order for them to continue working (to prevent funky stuff down the road) "upgrade Y/N". If you hit Yes, it rerolls. If you hit no, it stays the same. At least then the crap legendaries would have the potential to be useful...

37. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 23:20 RailWizard

Dades wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 22:00:
RailWizard wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 21:42:
You mean like the haste nerf? That totally never happened....

Haste needed to be nerfed, it was such a far away easy choice on items that it overrode the importance of everything else. They fucked up and had to fix it. Look at what that cost them, it was a PR nightmare and it sent many already disappointed players over the edge. They won't do that again, it's stated in that post why they are not doing it with legendary items.

Yes that is true, but this is a boost not a nerf. How could anyone be mad about getting better items with no work?

36. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 22:00 Dades

RailWizard wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 21:42:

Haste needed to be nerfed, it was such a far away easy choice on items that it overrode the importance of everything else. They fucked up and had to fix it. Look at what that cost them, it was a PR nightmare and it sent many already disappointed players over the edge. They won't do that again, it's stated in that post why they are not doing it with legendary items.

35. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 21:42 RailWizard

Dades wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 21:38:
Still pissed legendary changes are not retroactive. I see NO reason for that at all other than blizz being the typical holes they always have been.

2 whole legendary items in all my time of playing, which I kept because while they are useless they are rare as fuck, so why not keep them. I don't have any legendary recipes, so the craft material isn't needed.Forced timesink is the only reason.

You can't retroactively change items from under peoples feet. Some of them paid money for them, it would be unfair and probably lead to a lawsuit. They also can't just give you a new version of an item without rerolling its stats which could make it worse for your character, this is mentioned right in the post. D3 sucks for many reasons but this isn't one of them.

34. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 21:38 Dades

33. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 21:05 RailWizard

2 whole legendary items in all my time of playing, which I kept because while they are useless they are rare as fuck, so why not keep them. I don't have any legendary recipes, so the craft material isn't needed.

Forced timesink is the only reason.

32. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 20:48 MoreLuckThanSkill

Some classes require you to shop in the auction house as soon as nightmare to be able to continue. Unacceptable, and it apparently isn't planned to be changed.

? I have every class at Inferno or into Hell at this point, and your statement simply isn't true. Normal and Nightmare modes are pretty much roflstomp, faceroll, or your term of choice for ludicrously easy, with any gear you find. I haven't used the RMAH at all, and only used the GAH to buy some blacksmith plans(a huge mistake ) for like 20k. All my gear is found by myself or by my coop partners, and I'm up to Act 3 inferno on my barb, Act 2 Inferno on my WD and Monk.

To be fair, there were certainly some dry spells for my WD as he leveled up first, where he had woefully underpowered gear, but he still completed Normal and Nightmare with ease. Only Belial in Hell gave him any trouble at all, and I had to farm a bit to get some more hp, and drop my beloved pet spec.

This is a little off topic, and probably will be even less relevant when 1.04 is actually released, but it had to be said. GAH/RMAH are not required, just expect to do a little old fashioned farming.

*EDIT* some stats: roughly 300+ hours played across the 5 classes, 9 legendaries or legendary plans found, 1 set item. Many ilvl63 rares, some actually usable. One of the legendaries (a shield, Denial) was actually usable when I found it, the rest are all crap basically. Legendary buff and Blizzard buffing my favorite skill, Seismic Slam, will basically be awesome for me.

31. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 20:14 Julio

Too little, too late once again. I have no faith in Blizzard anymore, Diablo 3 is dead to me.  

30. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 20:02 Yakubs

There's a chance this game will be good in, oh, two or three years from now? Seems unlikely, though, considering it's going to take more than item tweaks and skill adjustments to fix this mess.  

29. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 18:58 jdreyer

Elessar wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 12:21:
Considering I only saw one legendary at level 20 something, this update is somewhat meaningless to me. They need to make all loot better and have it drop more often. That is the point of this type of game afterall.

Obviously that would remove the necessity of you visiting the RMAH to equip your character. Can't have that.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

28. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 18:54 jdreyer

Yeah, that's a feature, not a bug.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo