Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More Diablo III 1.04 Details

A post on the Diablo III Website has more on planned changes in the upcoming version 1.04 patch for Diablo III, outlining how they will change the Legendary items in Blizzard's action/RPG to help them better live up to that label. This includes the addition of new affixes and they go on to describe their hopes that this will introduce more build diversity to the game. They also explain the ill conceived planning that made legendaries "kind of crappy," and how they are looking to de-crappify them going forward. They also talk about how this will impact set items (which are also legendary items themselves), and offer this video showing how the artists have been working to make these items have cooler appearances.

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

27. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 18:53 jdreyer

Rikevis wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 10:54:
Too little too late. D3 remains on of the greatest gaming disappointments since the follow-ups to Duke Nukem.

Wow, really? Is it THAT bad?

I stayed away b/c of the always online requirement, but the game itself seemed pretty good when I got in on the beta weekend. I'm hearing complaints like "Diablo sucks! I put in 500 hours but there's no end game!!" I don't know ANYONE who put more than 5 hours into Duke, never mind 500.

"Microsoft is the absent minded parent of PC gaming" - Verno
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 18:28 Pyloff

I know more about the mechanics of this game than any I've actually played for a long term and devoted myself to; I haven't sought out any of it beyond reading articles on Blue's and other sites. Not a beta player but I did buy day one.

I don't care what ilvl something is. I'm not concerned with drop rates or any other arcane internal logic. I was looking for a fun albeit mindless game to kill time with. They delivered a 15 hour game with a marketplace.

Just seems like a huge smoke screen to distract from the fact that their proof of concept auction house game didn't shatter every record for entertainment since the invention of the transistor.

25. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 18:12 panbient

It -sounds- good...

...but even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Hopefully this is indicative of an actual change in direction and not just a coincidence that favours the players.

24. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 18:06 jacobvandy

Yakkity yak, eff Blizzard, etc.

I'll certainly be giving this some more play after the patch. Those Barbarian changes are lookin' mighty fine!

23. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 17:47 Ozmodan

Considering I never saw one legendary during over 70+ hours of gameplay, who really cares. Saw a lot on the AH of course, but why use an AH when the entire purpose of the game is loot finding.

They really need to fix the itemization. I got a rare leveling my 50+ monk, it was some level 30 junk. That right there is the problem with this game. Never saw so much useless junk, including most rares.

22. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 15:14 ItBurn

AngelicPenguin wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 14:59:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 11:01:
Some classes require you to shop in the auction house as soon as nightmare to be able to continue. Unacceptable, and it apparently isn't planned to be changed.

Which class would that be again? I leveled all classes to inferno and didn't need the auction house once...some hell boss fights get a little rough, but nightmare ? Not a problem.

My wizard. I was able to do some of it. I'm now at act 4, but I die all the time and it's not what I'd call fun.

With my monk on the other hand, everything is extremely easy and I don't even need to look at what I'm doing.

But anyway, I stopped trying to find solutions and also playing a while ago.

21. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 15:12 Creston

So basically they're saying that in 1.04 they're going to do what they really should have been doing in the previous ten years?

Good times.

Creston

20. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 14:59 AngelicPenguin

ItBurn wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 11:01:
Some classes require you to shop in the auction house as soon as nightmare to be able to continue. Unacceptable, and it apparently isn't planned to be changed.

Which class would that be again? I leveled all classes to inferno and didn't need the auction house once...some hell boss fights get a little rough, but nightmare ? Not a problem.

This comment was edited on Aug 15, 2012, 15:05.

19. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 14:54 Cram

A move in the right direction. I am going to give the game a lot more time to mature before re-installing it and giving it another shot.

I often hear people say "well Diablo 2 was pretty bad at launch too, everyone forgets the early days of Diablo 2". My point of view is that this version of Diablo 3 was in development for at least 6 years. In six years, Diablo 2 development began, game was announced, released, the expansion was developed and released and we got the big 1.10 patch. Derp to the "Diablo 2 sucked at launch" defense for Diablo 3.

Some of the barbarian changes are up (serious skill buffs happening it seems), they'll post the Wizard changes later today. The remaining classes tomorrow.

18. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 14:44 Cutter

Axis wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 14:07:
Cutter wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 13:32:
Elessar wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 12:21:
Considering I only saw one legendary at level 20 something, this update is somewhat meaningless to me. They need to make all loot better and have it drop more often. That is the point of this type of game afterall.

No, that was the point of Diablo 1/2. The point of this game is to coerce people into using the AH so Blizzard can make more money.

Cutter gets it wrong here and there, but got it right on this one!

I fully admit I'm imperfect and do get it wrong from time to time, but I get it right way more often than not. I already stated this would be the case as soon as they announced the RMAH for this game.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

17. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 14:07 Axis

Cutter wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 13:32:
Considering I only saw one legendary at level 20 something, this update is somewhat meaningless to me. They need to make all loot better and have it drop more often. That is the point of this type of game afterall.

No, that was the point of Diablo 1/2. The point of this game is to coerce people into using the AH so Blizzard can make more money.

Cutter gets it wrong here and there, but got it right on this one!

Yours truly,

Axis

16. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 13:32 Cutter

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

15. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 13:14 Mordecai Walfish

Too little too late. D3 remains on of the greatest gaming disappointments since the follow-ups to Duke Nukem.

Agreed. The open beta goes on!

14. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 12:29 Wallshadows

Well, they're also upping the rare drop rate on reg mobs by four and now all weapons above ilvl60 are no longer bound to do suck damage but rather as if they were ilvl63.

So you could pick up a a ilvl61 two-handed hammer which can do over 1700 dps rather than 600 dps. Chances of this happening are likely very low, but it's at least possible and you no longer smack yourself in the face when you pick up a rare weapon which isn't 63. Leave that for when you still get garbage weapons.

13. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 12:21 Elessar

"You don't get what you deserve, you get what you get."

12. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 11:49 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 11:32:
Not enough to make me come back to the game.

They have the right attitude, as Sepharo pointed out, but Legendary items are not my priority. Sure, they needed fixing...but there are so many areas of this game that need change, areas that affect the play experience most of the time. Legendary items affect play time so rarely, I am just not understanding why this would be one of the things you focus on at this point. I guess its because it was the easiest fix to make and be able to see "see..we are listening!".

I don't know, there are a lot of people on the Diablo 3 team and they can work on more than one thing at a time. Legendary items are just one facet of what they're working on. I've spent a fair bit of time digging on Diablo 3 and it various problems but 1.04 overall is a good step in the right direction. They can't undo every problem or mistake but they can certainly patch it up to a place where its fun again and fix the rest in an expansion.

If their numbers are dropping, that could very well be the case. They've got a lot staked on that RMAH, and they need players to use it.

They really don't, the game has probably moved at least 10 million copies at this point. The RMAH stuff is just gravy and helps pay for ongoing costs but even without it the game would be wildly profitable already.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

11. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 11:49 nin

It's almost like there was some kind of internal mutiny.

If their numbers are dropping, that could very well be the case. They've got a lot staked on that RMAH, and they need players to use it.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 11:44 Wallshadows

Unraveling the mess which Jay Wilson created.

Notice how he, the lead designer, doesn't say a damn word or is ever mentioned since (before) the 1.03 patch went live and then all these good things are coming to the game for 1.04? It's almost like there was some kind of internal mutiny. Not that I'm really complaining, I might actually check it out after 1.04 hits...

9. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 11:32 Jivaro

Not enough to make me come back to the game.

They have the right attitude, as Sepharo pointed out, but Legendary items are not my priority. Sure, they needed fixing...but there are so many areas of this game that need change, areas that affect the play experience most of the time. Legendary items affect play time so rarely, I am just not understanding why this would be one of the things you focus on at this point. I guess its because it was the easiest fix to make and be able to see "see..we are listening!".

8. Re: More Diablo III 1.04 Details Aug 15, 2012, 11:31 nin

When I first read your statement I thought it was a bit harsh, but the more I think about it (and the fact that I basically played for a month or so and have no desire to go back), the more I realize it's a pretty accurate statement.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo