Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied

This document (Adobe Acrobat format) from the gamescom Website includes an entry many gamers might find interesting, to say the least. According to this, one of the new games to be shown at the trade show is a title called Half-Life 3 from a developer called Valve. Unfortunately, Kotaku has word from Valve's Doug Lombardi that this listing is in error, and the long-awaited shooter sequel will remain a pipe dream for at least one more major trade show. Thanks nin.

View
53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

53. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 17:03 Dev

lochwinnoch78 wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 16:29:
Good point - I hadn't considered that. I'm actually rather jealous of their situation
And well you should be They are pretty much unique in the gaming industry (and pretty rare in any industry). I bet they are one of the best places to work at, and yes I'm counting google where they take crazy good care of their employees.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

52. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 16:34 Prez

Oh I bet they have plenty done on the game already, they seem fairly willing to talk about games still in their infancy but get tight lipped once development gets locked down. I can't wait, a few people on this forum are really going to eat crow (or have it rammed down their throat by the rest of us) when the release date is announced

I'll be one of those I guess. Until then, my non-crow-eating ass is going to maintain that the Half-Life 3 we end up getting (IF we get one at all) sometime around 2034 is not going to be the Half-Life 3 we were looking for.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

51. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 16:29 lochwinnoch78

Good point - I hadn't considered that. I'm actually rather jealous of their situation  

50. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 13:29 Verno

SXO wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 16:02:
I suspect that Half-Life 3 is actually being shown behind the scenes, not to promote HL3 itself, but to shop around the Source 2 engine that's been speculated to exist. So they'll have private meeting rooms to showcase the engine with the only game they currently are developing on it, HL3, in the hopes they'll get some licensees for Source 2.

That being said however, I'm sure there's barely anything done in the game itself, just enough to showcase the tech.

Oh I bet they have plenty done on the game already, they seem fairly willing to talk about games still in their infancy but get tight lipped once development gets locked down. I can't wait, a few people on this forum are really going to eat crow (or have it rammed down their throat by the rest of us) when the release date is announced

Playing: Fire Emblem, Diablo 3, Bravely Default
Watching: The Machine, After the Dark, Devils Due

49. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 13:04 J

Valve does what it must because it can  

48. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 12:44 Dev

lochwinnoch78 wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 06:21:
I agree with SXO on this. I also take your point Dev - they make a lot of money from Steam. But many businesses diversify their income streams to reduce exposure to risk. All eggs in 1 basket is very risky for a company. Steam sales might trickle off if they take their eye off the ball, another competitor may swoop in (Apple, Google, Microsoft - all highly experienced in software delivery). It's why they announced non-gaming software being made available on it recently - to maximise opportunity and reduce risk.
You are forgetting something. All those companies are public companies and have obligations to their shareholders.

Steam is entirely privately owned. That's not something they consider a priority. Its usually not even on the list. Their structure is flat, no management. Their focus is doing interesting and fun things for their employees. Sometimes they please customers while doing so. Most of the stuff they do is experimental. They JUST hired an economist after how many years?

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 09:56:
Maybe they can bundle some of those Team Fortress skin packs on the DVD they certainly spend a lot of time on those.
Thats because they are interesting and fun to the employees to work on.
Prez wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 08:22:
I loved Half-Life. I replay it once every 2 years or so because I enjoy it so much (I even loved the Xen missions).
I'm similar. I replay HL occasionally, and love it. I don't know that I'd go as far as to say I loved the Xen missions, but I did like and enjoy them and liked the change of pace.

47. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 09:56 Dmitri_M

zombiefan wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 11:13:
Yeah, and bundle Left For Dead 3 in there as well. Along with Team Fortress 3. Call it the 3-pack!
Maybe they can bundle some of those Team Fortress skin packs on the DVD they certainly spend a lot of time on those.

46. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 08:54 SXO

Prez wrote on Aug 15, 2012, 08:22:
I loved Half-Life...... I even loved the Xen missions

Good to know I'm not the only one. I knew I was in a tiny minority, but never actually saw another person that enjoyed the last section of the game. Also, crazily enough I enjoyed the last sections of Crysis 1 that everyone else seemed to hate.

I know those sections are notorious for being so different than the rest of their respective games, but I think that was kind of the point. You walk into Xen, it should feel alien, at least IMHO. The same goes for Crysis, at least within the ship/mountain. They could've made the outer sections a little more sandboxy ala Warhead, but alas they didn't, but it still wasn't terrible to me.

45. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 08:22 Prez

I loved Half-Life. I replay it once every 2 years or so because I enjoy it so much (I even loved the Xen missions). I was absolutely floored by Half-Life 2 - the technology, the design, the gameplay... all brilliant. But after so many years of nothing I have come to the realization that if Valve can't be bothered to make it, or at least be bothered to make an attempt to keep us interested, then I can't be bothered to care anymore. If it comes out one day in the distant future, sure I'll get it if it's awesome (and Valve hasn't turned it into a F2P hat simulator), but if it never comes, that will be okay too.

It might have something to do with how other games I've been waiting forever for turned out when they were finally released - Starcraft 2 was very good but simply not worth the decade-long wait to get it, and the less said about the Diablo 3 debacle the better at this point, just to name 2. There comes a point I think where no amount of awesomeness can make a game worth the wait once that wait has stretched out far enough.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

44. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 08:14 TheVocalMinority

HL3 is already done, they are just busy porting it over to Linux so it will be exclusive to their new console.

Assley Putz
"Was vocalminority assley putzs most recent handle?"
-nin May 16, 2012, 10:52

43. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 06:21 lochwinnoch78

I agree with SXO on this. I also take your point Dev - they make a lot of money from Steam. But many businesses diversify their income streams to reduce exposure to risk. All eggs in 1 basket is very risky for a company. Steam sales might trickle off if they take their eye off the ball, another competitor may swoop in (Apple, Google, Microsoft - all highly experienced in software delivery). It's why they announced non-gaming software being made available on it recently - to maximise opportunity and reduce risk.

With so much experience in engine building, I would make a heavily upgraded one and
license it - it's a solid stream of B2B income completely removed from Steam.

42. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 15, 2012, 02:22 Dev

SXO wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 16:02:
I suspect that Half-Life 3 is actually being shown behind the scenes, not to promote HL3 itself, but to shop around the Source 2 engine that's been speculated to exist. So they'll have private meeting rooms to showcase the engine with the only game they currently are developing on it, HL3, in the hopes they'll get some licensees for Source 2.

That being said however, I'm sure there's barely anything done in the game itself, just enough to showcase the tech.
Why would they care or bother to do that? You think valve actually NEEDS any money from hl3? Or from selling licenses to the source engine?

LOL

Valve could cease all game development, cease all source engine work, cease letting anyone license their engine and guess what... it wouldn't make more than a drop of difference in their gushing pipe of revenue from steam. Income thats going to just keep growing for the for the foreseeable future.

41. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 14, 2012, 23:29 edaciousx

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 17:16:
Cutter wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 16:53:
John wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 14:57:
eunichron wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 14:29:
Who even cares anymore?

About HL3? I do.

Yeah, we all do. The fact so many people are pissed that it's taking so long speaks volumes about the many who do care.

Speak for yourself, though I know I'm certainly in the minority on this, the series in overrated imo. Just about zero narrative, zero answers as to what the fucks going on 99% of the time, unless the Episodes changed this. Honestly I wouldn't care if HL3 ever came out at all.

major derp alert....

40. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 14, 2012, 21:56 Turglar

Topevoli wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 16:10:
Darks wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 15:44:
Do you know whats sad about this? The new engine will be as old as the original engine when Half Life 2 originally came out. Thatís sad!

Valve has spent so much time screwing around with other IPS that they totally left HL 2 in the dark and pretty well managed to piss off most of their hard core fans. Literally!

And by the time they do get around to releasing the game, there will be so much hype and expectation that it will probably be a Hugh let down. Kind of like HL2 has been and its try to figure out what the hell has happened in this story since Freeman original disappeared and everything has gone to shit.

I find it funny that this post was edited and came out like this.

Yeah this post was a Hugh let down.

39. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 14, 2012, 19:23 Luke

SectorEffector wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 18:44:
Creston wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 13:57:
I wonder if the source code will be stolen again a few weeks before HL3 is due to hit shelves...

Creston

Oh man, I don't care what anyone says, Source 2 ( as long as it's not just an optimized source engine for consoles) could be incredible! I still remember watching those E3 levels and telling myself, this engine is a game changer, no more shooting a can of soda on a desk and it just stays glued to the desk with a shitty bullet decal pasted on.

currently playing

Crusader: No Regret, Terminator Future Shock, Strife, Heroes 2

Like the games you are playing

38. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 14, 2012, 18:44 SectorEffector

Creston wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 13:57:
I wonder if the source code will be stolen again a few weeks before HL3 is due to hit shelves...

Creston

Oh man, I don't care what anyone says, Source 2 ( as long as it's not just an optimized source engine for consoles) could be incredible! I still remember watching those E3 levels and telling myself, this engine is a game changer, no more shooting a can of soda on a desk and it just stays glued to the desk with a shitty bullet decal pasted on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-Q2iICtlIc

37. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 14, 2012, 18:16 netnerd85

Who even cares anymore?

About HL3? I do.

Yeah, we all do. The fact so many people are pissed that it's taking so long speaks volumes about the many who do care.

Speak for yourself, though I know I'm certainly in the minority on this, the series in overrated imo. Just about zero narrative, zero answers as to what the fucks going on 99% of the time, unless the Episodes changed this. Honestly I wouldn't care if HL3 ever came out at all.
Half Life is brillant, Half Life 2 is crap.

36. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 14, 2012, 17:30 Beamer

Who even cares anymore?

About HL3? I do.

We've had this discussion, but I think the narrative is fantastic and there are plenty of answers.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

35. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 14, 2012, 17:16 RollinThundr

Who even cares anymore?

About HL3? I do.

34. Re: Half-Life 3 at gamescom Denied Aug 14, 2012, 16:53 Cutter

Who even cares anymore?

About HL3? I do.

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

53 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo