Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek & Star Wars Game Trailers

The gamescom trailer from the new Star Trek game is now up on IGN, showing more Kirk and Spock co-op action from the upcoming movie tie-in. In other iconic sci-fi tie-in news, IGN also offers a new clip from Star Wars 1313, saying this offers the first look at combat from LucasArts' upcoming Star Wars platformer (though some combat footage was also released during E3).

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2012, 21:25 Jivaro

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 21:34:
Rigs there was a Xwing Collectors Edition released within the last 10 years that updated Xwing and Tie Fighter to the Xwing vs Tie Fighter Engine if I remember correctly, and had all the Xwing games except Alliance in one package on CD's.

There be truth in these words... http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-X-Wing-Collectors-Edition-Mac/dp/B00002SFMQ

the redone X-Wing and Tie Fighter games are worth the price of admission. The "limited" version of X-Wing vs Tie Fighter is really not so bad, but the original was better.

edit: Not saying you should buy it for Mac or used...that was just the first version that showed up on my search results.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 15, 2012, 05:15 Fantaz

At least both of these trailers are using the PC versions of the games.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2012, 21:34 The Half Elf

Rigs there was a Xwing Collectors Edition released within the last 10 years that updated Xwing and Tie Fighter to the Xwing vs Tie Fighter Engine if I remember correctly, and had all the Xwing games except Alliance in one package on CD's.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 14, 2012, 20:24 Rigs

Maybe if we tell them we don't want a sequel to the best damn Star Wars combat space-sim ever made, they'll actually do it?

I say that not exactly knowing how it was, to be honest. Risking my membership in the 'Hardcore Gamer' club, I need to say that I never played Tie Fighter.

*Hushed Silence*

Seriously, I played X-Wing to death (literally, the 3.5" inch floppies fell apart after five years of constant use) and because I was playing X-Wing so much (and it's expansions), while I knew very well about Tie Fighter, I never bought it. This one tops my list of games that I wished I had gotten back in the day but, for some reason, never did. (Some others include 1942: Pacific Air War and Aces Over Europe, both I was very aware of but was still engrossed in Aces of the Pacific to get). Even to this day, though I have a download of the original and the cd enhanced version specially tailored for use in DOSBox, I haven't played it. I pretty much went from the original X-Wing to X-Wing Alliance, without playing any of the games in-between (X-wing vs Tie Fighter demo being an exception). BUT! Having said that, I do possess a VERY early demo of Tie Fighter. It came on two 3.5" floppies in a gaming mag and was part of an advertisement for the 'new' Dodge Neon (that's how old it is). It featured one mission that may or may not have been in the full game. I'm just not sure. However, the game itself is a curiosity because while you're in a new cockpit (a Tie Fighter), the X-Wing graphics engine is still being used. Basically it was an alpha demo, as the things that had been changed to that point would constitute a major MOD, not a whole different game. Playing it, you can tell that it's X-Wing with a different cockpit and your friend/enemy indicators switched. The demo itself goes on forever, basically a gauntlet. The longest I was ever able to stay alive was around two hours, but after an hour or so they start throwing A-Wings at you (from Rogue Squadron, no less) and it's VERY hard to keep from getting blown up by their concussion missiles...

tl;dr - I didn't play Tie Fighter but still would like to eventually and yes, LA should make a new one...

*whew*

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

7. Re: Star Trek & Star Wars Game Trailers Aug 14, 2012, 17:27 jdreyer

Keith wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 12:35:
The new Star Wars game has generated no enthusiasm on my part. I don't understand why they can't make a SW game worth a damn for the past 15 years. Ok, I will generously donate my time, for a small retainer, to come down to the ranch and tell you which game to make that will not suck.

Empire at War was a pretty good RTS. And Battlefront II was fun in multi with my bro, even if it was a bit simplistic. Also, and I might get flack for this, the pod racing game was pretty fun, although that's going back well over a decade at this point. Lastly, you didn't like KOTOR?!? So, there have been some failures, but some decent stuff too.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

6. Re: Star Trek & Star Wars Game Trailers Aug 14, 2012, 13:59 Creston

Keith wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 12:35:
The new Star Wars game has generated no enthusiasm on my part. I don't understand why they can't make a SW game worth a damn for the past 15 years. Ok, I will generously donate my time, for a small retainer, to come down to the ranch and tell you which game to make that will not suck.

Said game strongly features the words "Tie" and "Fighter" in the title, along with the Roman numeral II.

Creston

5. Re: Star Trek & Star Wars Game Trailers Aug 14, 2012, 13:20 The Half Elf

The only bad part of Republic Commando was (actually finally figured it out today) is that each Commando was the Star Wars version of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, and I even think they had matching color schemes.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Star Trek & Star Wars Game Trailers Aug 14, 2012, 13:06 Ray Ban

Wallshadows wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 12:49:
I thought Republic Commando was a decent game.

I never got it to run on my computer ...

But I spent some time on Empire at War, which came out at around the same time ...

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

3. Re: Star Trek & Star Wars Game Trailers Aug 14, 2012, 12:49 Wallshadows

I thought Republic Commando was a decent game.  

2. Re: Star Trek & Star Wars Game Trailers Aug 14, 2012, 12:35 Keith

1. Re: Star Trek & Star Wars Game Trailers Aug 14, 2012, 12:28 Cutter

These both look terrible.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo