Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

games.on.net - Supporting the PC: It’s okay to get upset about poor console ports, but do the right thing anyway.
This is why, if you support PC gaming, and especially if you’re one of the people who actually signed the petition, you should do the right thing and buy the game. If the game sells well, it’ll encourage other publishers to think about doing the same. It might convince more publishers to take their games to our favourite platform, and, hopefully, they’ll take the time to properly optimise them.

If it sells badly, it’s just yet another nail in the coffin of publisher confidence in the platform. And that’s the last thing we need.

View
55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

15. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 13:47 jonbly

Darwin would be crying.

Not all PC games are poor console ports. So buy ones that aren't. It's really that simple.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 13:18 Wowbagger_TIP

Article summed up in meme form:

Step 1: Buy crappy PC ports
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Awesome PC ports for everyone!!

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

13. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 13:09 NegaDeath

The writer of that article has some sort of "battered gamer" syndrome.

"It's ok, I'll keep buying the games and maybe they'll change! It'll get better as long as I behave..."

12. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 12:53 cento

As a 17 year vet of this industry, having worked on both console and PC games... This article is worthless garbage. Revolting, masochistic garbage.

It is so awful that I feel like I have been trolled into commenting, that something so idiotic could not have been written sincerely.

11. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 12:41 Verno

mag wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 12:17:
I'm torn. From hasn't done a PC port before, and if this one doesn't sell they'll never do it again.

That was always a possibility though, it's just the nature of business. Companies can't hold people hostage with sales estimates and preorders, not that I think From Software is doing that here (EA and Dead Space 3 is a good example though). Steam tends to do enough casual sales these days that something modest like this will likely be profitable whether you buy it or not. If you're going to buy it, my advice is to do it because you think it's a good game despite the port.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

10. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 12:37 J

rist3903 wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 11:52:
Buy this crappy port, and we will make more crappy ports for you to buy!

And that's why I don't buy them.

9. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 12:26 Beamer

I mean, I don't think people should run in terror from not-great ports (Orcs Must Die 1 wouldn't let me remap the keys, which is awful. Then again, OMD2 won't properly remap the mouse and it's not a port...) but people shouldn't buy bad games. If a port is truly bad then the game is bad.

Some poor ports aren't bad games. They're not great games, but they can still be fun games kept back from greatness due to the a subpar port. I think that can be purchased. From what I gather that's exactly what Borderlands was.

But telling people to buy garbage in hopes that it leads to non-garbage is wrong. There will always be people that love something so much they deal with garbage to show support, but that shouldn't be the norm.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 12:17 mag

I saw a lot of people taking this viewpoint particularly related to the Dark Souls port that's coming out soon. It is not going to be a good port. Locked at 720p and 30fps.

But From Software has been very up front about the reasons. They didn't know what they were getting into when they planned out the game, and they presumably didn't have the money to take extra time to bring in more coders and do it right.

I'm torn. From hasn't done a PC port before, and if this one doesn't sell they'll never do it again. Their games are great though, and I've love to see the PC become a major platform for them. On the other hand, it's impossible to excuse forcing low resolution and frame rates, not to mention whatever other things turn out to be wrong with the port.

7. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 12:09 Eirikrautha

This columnist must have just finished reading 50 Shades of Gray, because has to be the most sadomasochistic article I've ever read. "Yes, punish me, publishers, for daring to play games on the PC. Oh, thank you, hit me again!" Whip

Granted, the fact that most games columnists/reviewers depend on publishers to make their money explains some of the battered-wife syndrome on display, but seriously? Buy a sucky port simply because we're happy they ported it? Wow, that's just awful precedent...

6. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 12:05 Verno

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 11:16:
Exactly. I'm not throwing away my money on a crappy port. That doesn't encourage publishers to create good ports, it simply rewards them for half-assing on the PC version. They'll realize this on their own, it's not like the reviews don't mention it or that the forums won't be full of posts about it. If they don't get it, then good riddance. I just won't be buying from them.

Yeah. I don't feel any real responsibility to the industry. I ask for a port because it's a game that I might be interested in purchasing. If they do a bad job of bringing it to market I'm not going to feel obligated to buy it. That site has a history of shitty articles but this one is especially poor. The universe doesn't revolve around us individually, the right thing to do is spend your money the way you want. If that means not getting a Dark Souls follow up on the PC, so be it.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

5. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 11:52 rist3903

Buy this crappy port, and we will make more crappy ports for you to buy!

4. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 11:26 Creston

Yeah, we know the game is really shitty, but really, you should buy it anyway! Because, you know, rather than see that people will buy whatever piece of shit they choose to stuff in a box, publishers will then think "Hey, maybe we should spend MORE money on ports, so that they... ehhh. I dunno, the game already sold well."

Seriously. When in the history of publishers has a single one of them EVER voluntarily put more money and effort into something if less was enough to get good sales?

It's even more fun when you see him take the same argument a paragraph later:
"Don’t think that publishers will see poor sales figures and think “Well, that’s what happens when we don’t optimise our games for PC! Maybe we’ll optimise next time.” You’re kidding yourself. Poor sales figures on PC are poor sales figures on PC, end of story"

Right. But if it sells well, then all of a sudden their eyes are miraculously opened and out comes the cash? Rolleyes

It's like the entire staff over there shares one braincell, and it's constantly in use by Jean, the coffee lady. So you wind up with an article that makes a statement, and then contradicts itself a paragraph later. I guess that makes it nuanced.

Do NOT buy pisspoor ports. Because ALL you are doing is telling publishers "hey, go ahead and shit in a box! It's cool. We'll still buy it."

Instead, give your money to developers that DO spend time optimizing for the PC, or make PC-only games. There's plenty of them on Kickstarter, and there's even a few still making the big AAA games too. Stop rewarding cheap-ass behavior by asshole publishers.

Creston

3. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 11:16 Wowbagger_TIP

ItBurn wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 11:12:
Man, I completely disagree. Don't buy the game. Developers DO know that it didn't sell well because it was a shitty port. This is always a big concern internally for companies and a lot of companies also plan accordingly. Don't buy the game. If they don't want to cater to PC gamers, others will fill the void and they'll get all our money and we'll get much better PC games.
Exactly. I'm not throwing away my money on a crappy port. That doesn't encourage publishers to create good ports, it simply rewards them for half-assing on the PC version. They'll realize this on their own, it's not like the reviews don't mention it or that the forums won't be full of posts about it. If they don't get it, then good riddance. I just won't be buying from them.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

2. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 11:12 ItBurn

Man, I completely disagree. Don't buy the game. Developers DO know that it didn't sell well because it was a shitty port. This is always a big concern internally for companies and a lot of companies also plan accordingly. Don't buy the game. If they don't want to cater to PC gamers, others will fill the void and they'll get all our money and we'll get much better PC games.  

1. Re: Op Ed Aug 14, 2012, 11:02 MajorD

.....and, hopefully, they’ll take the time to properly optimise them.

That is the key statement right there. So if it is a bad port, whether it is due to it being rushed out the door to meet the release date, or incompetence of the team porting it, then that's the Publishers fault, and the PC gamers suffer for their mismanagement of the port.

So PC gamers may be going through the drive-thru either way.

55 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo