Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 15, 2012, 16:11 Creston

Well, that's nice. I'm sure the people who backed you will be very appreciative when you release no product worth mentioning, Ouya guys. At least they will be able to say "But they felt a responsibility to us!"

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 21:59 Trashy

The Ouya project annoys me a bit, they claim it as some open console but it uses a locked down version of Android and it won't have access to the google play store. The Hardware boils down to be just a modified Tegra III development board in a case with a bluetooth controller.

Sure the price they claim is nice.. but something tells me I could just buy a Tegra III or other equivalent speed ARM development board for slightly cheaper, load cyanogenmod version of Android, use one of my existing bluetooth controllers like the PS3 controller or the Wiimote and have something just as cheap and not forced to use their appstore which these guys get some cut in the apps that are sold.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2012, 22:07.

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 18:46 SimplyMonk

Jivaro wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 15:49:
I am saving my donations for the groups that represent projects I REALLY care about and that are REALLY in need of the money.

Same. This was something that I'll most likely buy if it is successful, but it isn't an idea I think is sound and worth my support. You aren't making a purchase with Kickstarter. You are making an investment and too many things about this project seemed like a bad investment to me.

If I give money to something I truly believe in, it gets funded, but then flubs I wouldn't feel too bad because sometimes things don't come together, but I was happy to give it a shot. With this, I wanted to own one, but I didn't believe in it that much, so it flubbing now would just infuriate me and feel like I had my money stolen.

At the end of the day I'm still out of my investment in both scenarios, but one I can deal with better, personally.

As a side note, is it wrong of me to hope the next console generation doesn't come about for 2 or 3 more years just to see a few unimaginative and foolish publishers burn?

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2012, 18:51.

8. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 15:49 Jivaro

I didn't back them either, mainly because I didn't see a reason. Plenty of other people were donating, they were well over their goal, and as such if it sees the light of day I can buy one then. I don't know about everyone else but since everybody and their uncle uses Kickstarter now, whether they need to or not, I am saving my donations for the groups that represent projects I REALLY care about and that are REALLY in need of the money.  

7. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 15:22 Flatline

Having to specifically state you feel a responsibility towards your investors (which is what KS is), sends fucking red flags and flares off all over the place.

Imagine if other industries behaved this way. Imagine being in an airplane and the captain saying:

"Woah! Our projection was for only 20% capacity and we are 100% full this flight. We feel a responsibility now to put you on the ground safely with as few casualties as possible."

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 14:46 jimnms

From what I understood from their Kickstarter page is it looks like they are just making a bluetooth controller for Android based hardware. Do they really need $8 million for that?  

MeanJim on Steam

5. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 14:42 jdreyer

I didn't back this, and I'm fairly skeptical about it. I'm sure the hardware/OS is possible, but will there be any decent software for it?

This is definitely a wait-and-read-the-reviews kind of thing for me.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 12:58 saluk

I didn't buy one but I really hope it's real. I keep expecting a kickfail but if this one is it it will be an even bigger kickfail than I imagined.  

3. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 12:31 Cutter

It's a phantom.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

2. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 11:55 Trevellian

I originally backed this with enough to get the second controller due to excitement over an Open Source Console... but then like Verno said, it started to seem deceptive at times, too many questions unanswered. Pulled my backing and decided I'd let other people be the Guinea Pigs till I find out if it's another Phantom.  

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Kyrios in ArcheAge

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 14, 2012, 10:56 Verno

Looking forward to seeing Ouya deliver both the hardware and software in just 8 months. The Kickstarter was almost deceptive at times, I hope people temper their expectations.  

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

11 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo