Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch

The Kickstarter Campaign for Shadowrun Online concludes in under 24 hours, and Cliffhanger Productions' cross-platform action game needs to raise about 80 grand in that time to reach its funding goals. There's also a new trailer showing off the game's character creation system. Here's the last minute pitch for support:

Says Jan Wagner, co-founder of Cliffhanger Productions: ‘The project has been the subject of some controversy amongst players, but we have tried to address the questions and concerns of the fans. There were some misconceptions based on our initial presentation, but we have made a point of engaging people directly and explaining to them the ambitious concept behind our game. In these last days on Kickstarter we have seen an overwhelmingly positive feedback for our new video and gameplay concepts. We are really unbelievably grateful for the enthusiastic community, which has grown around the campaign. I want to invite everyone who is skeptical to risk a second look at our Kickstarter page and see the rich potential the game has to offer. It is just a click away and it could mean the difference between seeing this project created or not. We call on all Shadowrun fans to help us make this game happen!’

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 14, 2012, 14:08 Creston

Cutter wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 12:52:
So they just squeaked by. I honestly wish they hadn't. Shadowrun or not there's zero reason for this type of model. Still looking forward to the real game.

Oh, I'm glad they got funded. This way, if the game is actually decent or even good, I can buy myself a copy and enjoy it. More Shadowrun games is always better than fewer Shadowrun games, as long as the guys working on it at least understand what Shadowrun IS and what it isn't. (ie, Shadowrun is NOT a fucking multiplayer only FPS... Die in a fire, Microsoft.)

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 14, 2012, 12:52 Cutter

So they just squeaked by. I honestly wish they hadn't. Shadowrun or not there's zero reason for this type of model. Still looking forward to the real game.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

11. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 14, 2012, 11:48 Dev

PropheT wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 02:21:
Then again, that same issue could probably be considered for most of the Kickstarter game projects I've seen so far. After contributing to a couple I came to the conclusion that it feels too much like pre-purchasing a game I'm not even sure I'm going to want when it finally comes out.
You could always try some of the ones that are for physical products. I backed a dice tower, and I was very pleased with how it turned out. The ones for physical products also aren't as often delayed as the ones for digital products (such as games). I also just backed one for some unique custom dice (dice with a 3d design). If I'd had the money at the time, I probably would have backed the one for the prntrbot 3d printer. $550 for a nice sized 3d expandable printer that takes the best work of many other printers, thats good stuff.

There's also the new "sous vide" kickstarter that just completed. If you know anything about modern cooking, that device will be incredibly useful. The features are great, and at a price that could drive a real change in home food cooking. It wouldn't surprise me to see that thing end up in places like target/walmart.

10. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 14, 2012, 02:21 PropheT

Creston wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 21:49:
And anything that's designed to work well on tablets and PC and Android and Ouya and your mom's washing machine and your pocket watch just doesn't fill me with much confidence that it'll be a great PC experience. I mean, seriously? Ouya? Maybe you can plan to port it to the Phantom while you're at it?

That's what made me leery of it as well. Something about this one seems like promising a full MMO-kind of game but delivering an iPhone quickie. Some people really like that stuff, but I don't see the depth and gameplay to make it worth throwing in as much money as I would for a AAA boxed game.

Then again, that same issue could probably be considered for most of the Kickstarter game projects I've seen so far. After contributing to a couple I came to the conclusion that it feels too much like pre-purchasing a game I'm not even sure I'm going to want when it finally comes out.

9. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 14, 2012, 00:54 Dev

Pretty much same here. I funded shadowrun single player (despite not having played original), but an MMO to me is like meh.

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2012, 11:44.

8. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 14, 2012, 00:08 Wowbagger_TIP

Jerykk wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 22:51:
I actually thought the prototype videos looked pretty cool. However, I'm not a big fan of MMOs and the business plan doesn't inspire much faith. If you pay $25, you don't have to pay any microtransactions for the original campaign. But how much content will that campaign actually have? They've stated that they will release additional campaigns further down the road, with each costing ~$40-50. Until I know how much content will be in the OC, I'm not willing to lay down $25.
Pretty much this ^^

I was completely on board for Shadowrun Returns, but I just can't see putting money on this one with what they've told us so far. Since I assume they would have told us more by now if they had anything to offer, I don't hold out much hope for this being worth it.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

7. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 13, 2012, 23:58 Closed Betas

Lol, they already have all the box art, game play, logo's everythings done, even most of the game, but they need initial funding... haha gamers are a ez snatch for $500,000k.... ya know what they say, a fool and his money are soon parted..

6. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 13, 2012, 23:55 Closed Betas

I have a few bridges to sell you kickstart funders.... Plz send me your emails and preferred type of game, err i mean bridge  

5. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 13, 2012, 22:51 Jerykk

I actually thought the prototype videos looked pretty cool. However, I'm not a big fan of MMOs and the business plan doesn't inspire much faith. If you pay $25, you don't have to pay any microtransactions for the original campaign. But how much content will that campaign actually have? They've stated that they will release additional campaigns further down the road, with each costing ~$40-50. Until I know how much content will be in the OC, I'm not willing to lay down $25.  

4. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 13, 2012, 22:25 Agent.X7

Yup, I love me some Shadowrun - I mean, cyberpunk mixed with fantasy? AWESOME! - but this one didn't look too good. I kicked in $150 for the one by Jordan Weisman, but I couldn't bring myself to fund this one.

If they could make an MMO set in Seattle that had a huge open world, real time action, and great graphics, that would be great. This? Meh.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

3. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 13, 2012, 21:49 Creston

I've always been kinda dubious about this one. I heard about it long before the first Shadowrun kickstarter, and they were going to do an MMO-type Shadowrun game, and it was already being built, etc etc.

Then all of a sudden it is a Kickstarter, and it turns out that everything has just been a prototype and they need the money to build the game. Okay, there's nothing wrong with that, but then they need only 500K to build an MMO style game that will run on multiple platforms? I just have some serious doubts about how much GAME there will actually be, especially since, in an effort to get more funding, they're absolutely showering people with swag. It wouldn't surprise me if fully half of that 500K would go towards paying for all the loot they're offering people, so that leaves them with exactly three people's worth of salaries and benefits to make a game...

And anything that's designed to work well on tablets and PC and Android and Ouya and your mom's washing machine and your pocket watch just doesn't fill me with much confidence that it'll be a great PC experience. I mean, seriously? Ouya? Maybe you can plan to port it to the Phantom while you're at it?

Harebrained's Shadowrun game is a PC-first, single player RPG. From the amount of money given to it, that's what people want. It seems few people really care to play on both iPad 2 and their PCs, and I can't blame them.

And the prototype videos filled me with little confidence either. I couldn't help but think "it just looks like Jagged Alliance with a Shadowrun skin." Which makes sense, since that's actually what it was...

I still want to see more Shadowrun games being made, GOOD Shadowrun games being made, but I'm not sure this is it. Maybe they can get additional funding elsewhere, and do another Kickstarter with a more detailed concept in place. And maybe they'll figure out that PC-first Kickstarters get far, FAR more interest than all this "We're porting it to every device in existence!" bullshit.

Creston

2. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 13, 2012, 21:45 Kitkoan

I'm not surprised its having issues getting funding. I was interested in it myself... until I saw the game play. It looks exactly like a tactics game just made to be online, aka Final Fantasy Tactics, Fallout 1 and 2. While those are great games on their own they are also a bit more of a niche market. And they are also offline games.

All in all, it looked just like a offline single player game that is having always-online DRM being shoved down peoples throats all while trying not to appear that way. You know, Diablo 3 but with strictly single player game play styles. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm doubting I'm the only one who has felt that way about it

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

1. Re: Shadowrun Online Kickstarter Homestretch Aug 13, 2012, 19:32 jacobvandy

Kickstarter for the remake/sequel of the classic single-player game succeeds in a week and finishes with over 400% of its goal raised. Kickstarter for cross-platform online hodgepodge struggles to make 100% in its final hours... Hmm, yadon'tsay?

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo