Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: etc., etc. Aug 14, 2012, 13:29 Dev

Not a bad milestone for minecraft. It went from 6 million to 7 million in 3 months.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: etc., etc. Aug 14, 2012, 07:50 Beamer

gray wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 07:45:

Note, Epic have come to this realisation.

Somewhat. I mean, everyone knows this even if they aren't acting on it, but Epic is doing something that strikes me more as killing time between consoles and flexing their creative juices by doing a small, low risk game where they let the inmates run the asylum, as others have said about other things around here recently. It strikes me as more due to timing than anything else. But that's fine, if they learn something and it makes a profit I can see them putting a second team permanently on games such as that.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

8. Re: etc., etc. Aug 14, 2012, 07:45 gray

The sentiment is correct but the thinking is off. AAA games absolutely have to succeed because of the level of investment required to produce such a thing. This leads to formulaic output that they know will suceed because it's just like the last game and that sold well.

Their problem is not in gamers expectations but in that they are producing AAA titles and then complaining about the nature of AAA titles.

If you don't like it, produce smaller titles that can afford to fail and experiment with their format. You might be the next Minecraft, just look at DayZ.

Note, Epic have come to this realisation.

7. Re: etc., etc. Aug 14, 2012, 06:33 Mordecai Walfish

JEEZ whats with all these gamers and their EXPECTATIONS of FUN?!

I don't think this is an industry where non-risk takers really thrive in the long run.

You can blame it on gamers all you want for wanting to spend their money wisely and not be gouged for some turd of a game, as we all have been in the past.

Keep referring to your playerbase as mindless sheep who only flock to the top 5, UBI... perception is reality, isn't it?

6. Re: etc., etc. Aug 14, 2012, 03:59 Bhruic

I agree with her position in general, but she didn't argue it well. For example:
and try things that weren't as much fun because they were different.

Is she lamenting the fact that people are less willing to play games that aren't fun? If your innovation isn't entertaining, it's not the gamers' fault. Or:
It does limit innovation, because if something isn't working as you get towards shipping, you have to cut it or revert back to what you know does work.

Same thing. Why exactly is it a bad thing that you have to cut/revert something that isn't working? It seems like she is complaining not that people dislike innovation, but they are less willing to accept poor games. Why exactly is that a bad thing?

5. Re: etc., etc. Aug 14, 2012, 03:54 Veterator

Think about how much time they waste trying to put DRM in, keep DRM working, and selling DRM as a bonus instead of a negative.

I don't expect perfection in my games....I do however expect exploits to be dealt with in MP. And game stopping bugs to be very hard to reproduce if they exist in all game modes.

Plus the game has to be fun, but I think that part gets left out because it isn't working and they don't have time to fix it before release.

But at least she's attractive, so you got some eye candy to look at while they boldly feed you bullshit.

4. Re: etc., etc. Aug 14, 2012, 02:55 Acleacius

Lol, what a funny girl, that's why independents are doing so well.

What Jadey meant to say was big corporations are only willing to fund, lack of innovation. The reason is cause it's so easy to shovel and cause anyone could develop it!

Badda Boom! Drummer

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2012, 03:19.

The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders.That is easy.All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger.It works the same way in any country.

3. Re: etc., etc. Aug 14, 2012, 01:22 Qbex .

I call it a BS and lame excuse for their own lack of originality. Look at Minecraft , it is original , it is low budget and just sold 7 mil copies only on PC. Ubisoft does not have a clue.  

2. Re: etc., etc. Aug 14, 2012, 01:02 Dev

Just maybe its because AAA game budgets have become so bloated (especially with marketing) that companies can't afford to risk an innovative title that might not sell enough to make it back?  

1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 13, 2012, 21:58 Aero

Ohhhhhhhh, it's our fault Ubisoft isn't releasing innovative games. They can't because their games are too perfect just the way they are.

Gee, I'm real sorry Jade. Forgive me?

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo