Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

New Steam Community Features Coming

Valve announces what they are calling a "major update" to the Steam Community, saying this will enter beta testing soon, and that in the meantime they will be making daily announcements of new features that will be part of this. Today's update announces the addition of "Game Hubs," and here's word:

This update focuses on highlighting and enabling the best user-created screenshots, videos, and Workshop items for games across Steam while making it easier for the community to discuss their favorite games.

Every game on Steam will have a new Game Hub. The Hubs highlight the most popular user-created screenshots, videos, and Steam Workshop items as rated by the community and combine it with related news, discussions, and comments for the game all in one central location.

"The New Steam Community is all about showing off the best content that gamers have created," says Emily Kent at Valve. "With over 89 million screenshots, videos, Steam Workshop maps, levels, mods, and items, plus news articles and product updates, the community has created an unbelievable wealth of content around their favorite games."

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 14, 2012, 09:09 nin

Auto generated my ass!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/CptRanger/screenshot/630731388083346014?tab=public

Took us a whole 30 seconds to get this screenshot!

I still giggle every time that one gets posted...

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 14, 2012, 01:36 Jivaro

Valve could dress up all of the Victoria's Secret models OR the Chippendales (depending on your preference)in Team Fortress cosplay, and send them out to every Steam member's home to provide cooking, cleaning, and strip tease for FREE...and you know what?

People would still bitch about the same things...

This is a joke. "insert feature here" is still not done yet?
That has already been done. Why doesn't Valve do something original?
Where the fuck is Half Life 3?

Every single Valve thread...every single time.

22. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 14, 2012, 00:35 Dev

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 00:09:
Yeah, same. I was very critical of RAGE and posted a lot in the Steam Forums without any issue. I always make sure my posts aren't personal or excessive (repeating the same point too often).

As another example that just happened with iron brigade, here's a copy paste of my blues post:

Saboth wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 23:17:
I was going to pass, but after seeing video of it: customizable mechs + tower defense? Hells yeah.
I actually went and wrote a constructive criticism post in the forums about the lack of trailer on the steam page for this. It was answered in an hour, after 9pm at night, with the info that the devs followed up on it with the appropriate people and that trailer/videos was going to be posted.

21. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 14, 2012, 00:09 theyarecomingforyou

Techie714 wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:33:
I pride myself on the artistic screen shots I take. I'll have to post one sometime. If you're on my steam friends list check them out some time. I spend hours trying to get them just right & do some post processing. My Sniper Elite V2 ones are the newest.
Yeah, I like taking decent screenshots that show off games (either the graphics, progress or a particular element). I don't do any post-processing though.

Dev wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 18:47:
I haven't found that to be the case. I've never gotten banned for criticizing specific games on steam forums. In fact, I've sometimes gotten dev responses saying they would try to patch a game. Maybe its because I try to give constructive feedback and criticism.
Yeah, same. I was very critical of RAGE and posted a lot in the Steam Forums without any issue. I always make sure my posts aren't personal or excessive (repeating the same point too often).

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

20. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 14, 2012, 00:03 Techie714

mch wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:44:
I pride myself on the artistic screen shots I take. I'll have to post one sometime. If you're on my steam friends list check them out some time. I spend hours trying to get them just right & do some post processing. My Sniper Elite V2 ones are the newest.

Actually checked them out from the link in your sig - nice!

Thank you

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

19. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 21:14 RailWizard

Closed Betas wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 18:10:
Waste of time... Steam Forums are Corporate Troll controlled.. Meaning, they allow the devs of the games moderate their game forums.. What this means, is any negative comment gets you trolled by 15 fake accounts owned by the devs, and when you question their authority and blatent disrepect, you are the one that gets banned..

All those messages, this game is great, you have to check out this of that guy that seems to live there.. or someone derailing the PROBLEM threads, yup its the dev of the game trying to save face, can't handle the criticism or do good work.. so troll it away....

This is true unfortunately. Tho not all of them even try to hide it.

I don't know how that could be fixed tho. There are so many forums, valve would have to hire an small army of people to police them.

18. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 19:16 The Half Elf

Closed Betas wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 18:12:
I love this quote..

"The New Steam Community is all about showing off the best content that gamers have created," says Emily Kent at Valve. "With over 89 million screenshots, videos, Steam Workshop maps, levels, mods, and items, plus news articles and product updates, the community has created an unbelievable wealth of content around their favorite games."

Lol, 89 million auto generated screenshots no one really cares about and no one even see's is the better statement..

Auto generated my ass!
http://steamcommunity.com/id/CptRanger/screenshot/630731388083346014?tab=public

Took us a whole 30 seconds to get this screenshot!

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

17. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 18:47 Dev

Closed Betas wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 18:10:
Waste of time... Steam Forums are Corporate Troll controlled.. Meaning, they allow the devs of the games moderate their game forums.. What this means, is any negative comment gets you trolled by 15 fake accounts owned by the devs, and when you question their authority and blatent disrepect, you are the one that gets banned..

All those messages, this game is great, you have to check out this of that guy that seems to live there.. or someone derailing the PROBLEM threads, yup its the dev of the game trying to save face, can't handle the criticism or do good work.. so troll it away....
I haven't found that to be the case. I've never gotten banned for criticizing specific games on steam forums. In fact, I've sometimes gotten dev responses saying they would try to patch a game. Maybe its because I try to give constructive feedback and criticism.
Closed Betas wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 18:12:
Lol, 89 million auto generated screenshots no one really cares about and no one even see's is the better statement..
I doubt most are auto generated. In fact, even auto generated screenshots (if you are talking end of round TF2 kinda thing) don't get uploaded to your cloud shared screenshot folder unless you tell it to. And they included more than screenshots in that number. Many of the new items from TF2 come from community ones for example.

16. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 18:35 phorce phed

Steam chat logging or GTFO.

15. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 18:12 Closed Betas

I love this quote..

14. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 18:10 Closed Betas

13. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 17:24 Dades

Dev wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 15:46:
I could care less. What I want is the ability to sort and search through my games library better. Like showing me all co-op ones.

Put in a feature request for a Co-op or Multiplayer tab in the category column on their forums. Quite a few of the features in the latest build of Steam came from there.

12. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 17:07 Sacrifice

I like it. I don't view screenshots or chat on the steam message boards often, but the organization makes sense to me and it might cause me to view them more frequently.  

"In questions about good and bad, we ought not to follow the opinion of the many, but the opinion of the one who has understanding."

11. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 17:07 Bill Borre

Hmmm. Sounds like they adding features to Steam to make it more like Wikia.  

10. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 16:55 Dev

tony wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:32:
I could care less. What I want is the ability to sort and search through my games library better. Like showing me all co-op ones.

Steam has them all marked as such in the individual store page, its just not very interesting to code some UI work to actually use that info.

Really? So you care just enough or too much for this new feature?
Either? Neither? Both?

9. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 16:51 DG

/gets popcorn  

8. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 16:44 mch

Actually checked them out from the link in your sig - nice!

PSN: CaseDesignate

7. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 16:33 Techie714

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

6. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 16:32 tony

Steam has them all marked as such in the individual store page, its just not very interesting to code some UI work to actually use that info.

Really? So you care just enough or too much for this new feature?

5. Re: New Steam Community Features Coming Aug 13, 2012, 16:28 Cutter

Yeah, sort, folder and index functions would be nice. I'd hate to have to sift through Prez's lieberry.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo