Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup

Eurogamer.net has details on the Mechromancer DLC that will follow the release of Borderlands 2, Gearbox's upcoming shooter sequel. This is to include a skill tree that will allow accomplished players to carry along a less-skilled companion in co-op play, and while the skill tree is officially called "Best Friends Forever," lead designer John Hemingway apparently referred to this as "girlfriend mode" as he showed them the DLC. This has inspired Randy Pitchford to tweet about this a few times, as the Gearbox honcho who is usually pretty blasť about political correctness wants to head off any perception that this is sexist, saying any attention paid to this "personal anecdote" is "sensationalism."

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 14, 2012, 14:19 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 10:24:
Some dude from Gamespy did the same thing but wasn't able to test the MP. It's steamworks though and they've had time to play with it so that's the aspect I'm least worried about. I will email RPS asking about that article. Anyways I'm not worried about it, sounds like the PC port will be just fine.

Yeah, that all sounds very good. Very excited about this one.

Creston

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 14, 2012, 10:24 Verno

Some dude from Gamespy did the same thing but wasn't able to test the MP. It's steamworks though and they've had time to play with it so that's the aspect I'm least worried about. I will email RPS asking about that article. Anyways I'm not worried about it, sounds like the PC port will be just fine.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

29. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 14, 2012, 09:47 Creston

Verno wrote on Aug 14, 2012, 09:16:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:25:
Got a link to the RPS story? I can't find it on their site, but would love to read it.

Hmm I can't find it in my browser cache or using Google, this is frustrating. I swear it was there, other people saw it too!

Yeah, I read it too, but it seems to have vanished from their site for whatever reason. Which may just be odd, or it may be a bad omen...

Creston

28. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 14, 2012, 09:16 Verno

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:25:
Got a link to the RPS story? I can't find it on their site, but would love to read it.

Hmm I can't find it in my browser cache or using Google, this is frustrating. I swear it was there, other people saw it too!

27. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 14, 2012, 01:16 Creston

Beamer wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 13:50:
This sounds like silly idea, especially for a character coming 60 days after launch. If you want a very forgiving auto aim on player 2 just make an option in the game menu. Seems like you're wasting a perfectly good skill tree just to try and hide the fact that there is an easy mode.

And I'm not the only one noticing that the girl character has a power called "Explosive Clap" right? We're talking about claptrap though, not an STD!

Feels like someone stood up and said, "THIS GAME NEEDS MORE DUKE!"

Yeah, wouldn't it be better to just have a difficulty modifier? Other games let you do this - Player 1 can be playing on Hard and Player 2 can be playing on easy (auto-aim, bullets do more damage, player has more health, etc.)

It worked fine in Red Dead Redemption, so I don't see why they can't implement it here. It's not a PvP game, so who cares if everyone plays on easy? (like they did in RDR MP.)

Creston

This comment was edited on Aug 14, 2012, 09:48.

26. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 20:16 Kosumo

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 17:24:
Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:30:
Draugr wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 15:24:
I agree, it is slightly silly to to get worked up about this, it doesn't seem to be something that was 'company wide' or anything. Just somebody putting their foot in their mouth.

That being said just because someone voices their opinion about it and they happen to have a penis doesn't mean they are white knighting. These same people may speak up with regards to issues of homosexuality. Are we to assume they are just doing it for the hope of getting laid? What if it's speaking out against racism? Is that also motivated by sex? How come it always needs to be about getting laid when it comes to Men speaking up about these issues, but not in these other cases?

I'm not saying white knights don't exist, they certainly do - I think it's unfair to assume so without more information on the person themselves.

Yeah, White Knights suck...until a woman wants or needs one.

Been sent to the Friend Zone a few times eh Cutter? W00t

I'm picking stalker/100 yards zone Sneaky

25. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 19:17 RollinThundr

space captain wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 17:48:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 14:28:
Totally prepaired for all the cry baby PC crowd to get their panties in a bunch over this. Popcorn

try harder ROLLINGCHIKN

go out and burn some crosses or something

Riiiight because getting a chuckle over how butt hurt the politically correct get about just about everything is equivalent to burning crosses. Try harder indeed snookums.

24. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 18:47 OpticNerve

Jedi Master wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 13:00:
Oh, I would LOVE some sort of loot restrictions. I have the same problem...the guy I play coop with in games is quite possibly the most impatient human being on the planet to have ever lived.
In fact, he cares so much for that it's always up to ME to do things like choose the quest/mission we're on, figure out where to go, what to do, whatever. He instead runs around, kills things, loots things...in fact, in games where you can sell stuff it really sucks because he'll loot a gun or shield or whatever that's better than anything I have, but because it's worse than the ones he already has he'll sell it to get the money so he can then buy even BETTER stuff.

If I ever say anything about how he's always running off if the game lets him, he comes back with some "am I supposed to just stand around and wait for you??" reply, like I'm holding him back.

Last night in Dead Island we played for over an hour before he asked me "what mission are we on?" when he finally noticed we'd not turned any in. I said "I don't know" because I'm over 1000 kills behind him in the various challenges that make XP, so I was just running around killing aimlessly. It took an HOUR for him to notice I was doing what he always does, but then he acted all "ooookaaaaayyyy" as if my behavior (acting like him) was bizarre!

That's why you play with different friends
I hate playing co-op games/MMOs with impatient people like that.

http://theopticnerve.deviantart.com

23. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 17:48 space captain

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 14:28:
Totally prepaired for all the cry baby PC crowd to get their panties in a bunch over this. Popcorn

try harder ROLLINGCHIKN

go out and burn some crosses or something

Go forth, and kill!

22. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 17:24 RollinThundr

Cutter wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 16:30:
I agree, it is slightly silly to to get worked up about this, it doesn't seem to be something that was 'company wide' or anything. Just somebody putting their foot in their mouth.

That being said just because someone voices their opinion about it and they happen to have a penis doesn't mean they are white knighting. These same people may speak up with regards to issues of homosexuality. Are we to assume they are just doing it for the hope of getting laid? What if it's speaking out against racism? Is that also motivated by sex? How come it always needs to be about getting laid when it comes to Men speaking up about these issues, but not in these other cases?

I'm not saying white knights don't exist, they certainly do - I think it's unfair to assume so without more information on the person themselves.

Been sent to the Friend Zone a few times eh Cutter? W00t

21. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 16:32 jimnms

I can't wait for this game... to be $7.50 like the original Borderlands GotY. I played Borderlands with a couple of friends, and we didn't have the problem of dividing up loot and swapping equipment before selling it. One of them quit playing, and doesn't do much gaming anymore, so it was just me and one friend that finished it. It was still a shit ton of fun, but now he's moved across the country and only has shitty ass DSL. The DSL connection was so bad he canceled it and uses his 4G phone as a hotspot because it's faster, but still not good for gaming.

I don't think this game would be fun to play solo, and I don't want to play with random "internet people."

MeanJim on Steam

20. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 16:30 Cutter

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

19. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 16:25 Wowbagger_TIP

Verno wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 14:27:
Again, Rock Paper Shotgun (a pretty reputable PC centric site) went through Gearbox's claims with a build near gold and verified them

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

18. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 16:05 jacobvandy

Well, somewhat similarly, "white knighting" isn't always about trying to get laid. These keyboard tough guys are looking for some kind of approval from anybody, not just the ladies, and even if they did get a compliment from some chick, the chances of him actually being able to meet up and get something out of it are slim to none. That is, if he even had the balls to, which keyboard tough guys almost never do (that's why they have to be keyboard tough guys).

As for the "controversy," I feel bad for Randy having to defend against this BS. Why do people always have to be so offended? Or even worse, feel they deserve some kind of restitution for it? Not that there's really anything wrong with the statement in question to begin with... The majority of gamers are guys, and their girlfriends (if applicable) are generally not interested in the hobby and/or are not very skilled in it if they were to try. So sorry if the smaller population of female gamers are upset by those facts... I thought they'd have a thicker skin by now, what with being in the company of chauvinistic degenerates for long enough to consider themselves a part of the culture.

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2012, 16:13.

17. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 15:24 Draugr

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 10:47:
Showed my girlfriend this and she said "white knights are so fucking annoying." Sums the whole thing up well I thought.

Most invented internet drama I have seen in a while.

Well, perhaps you and your girlfriend should refrain from using ad hominem just because you disagree.

16. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 14:28 RollinThundr

15. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 14:27 Verno

xXBatmanXx wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 14:11:
Anyone know if it is using that lame ass gamespy crap again? So tired of all of these damn individual friends lists.

Nah man, it's all Steamworks this time. RPS went through the PC Love Letter thing and said its all mostly there.

Totally prepaired for all the cry baby PC crowd to get their panties in a bunch over this.

Again, Rock Paper Shotgun (a pretty reputable PC centric site) went through Gearbox's claims with a build near gold and verified them

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2012, 14:32.

14. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 14:11 xXBatmanXx

DeadlyAccurate wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 12:51:
The ability to choose round robin looting would be a nice feature, because yeah, when we play our four-player games, the other two guys do the same thing. But I wouldn't want it to be a default, because when I play just with my husband, I'd want free-for-all to be the default.

Oh, and maybe this was already posted, but there's a new trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgcAq34Sifw&feature=youtu.be

THanks for link - hadn't seen it yet. Super excited about this game.

Anyone know if it is using that lame ass gamespy crap again? So tired of all of these damn individual friends lists.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

13. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 13:50 Beamer

Tumbler wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 13:46:
If anyone else is wondering what this skill tree actually does I think this is useful.

One of the first skills available in the BFF tree is called Close Enough. This means your bullets that hit walls or other objects, that is, miss their target, have a chance to ricochet off towards the enemy.

"Can't aim? That's not a problem," Hemingway said.

In a gameplay demo, Gearbox showed this skill in action. At points, after taking damage against bandits, the Mechromancer was able to hide behind cover waiting for shields to recharge. From there, she could safely shoot in the general direction of the enemy, with bullets magically hitting targets.

This sounds like silly idea, especially for a character coming 60 days after launch. If you want a very forgiving auto aim on player 2 just make an option in the game menu. Seems like you're wasting a perfectly good skill tree just to try and hide the fact that there is an easy mode.

And I'm not the only one noticing that the girl character has a power called "Explosive Clap" right? We're talking about claptrap though, not an STD!

Yeah, wouldn't it be better to just have a difficulty modifier? Other games let you do this - Player 1 can be playing on Hard and Player 2 can be playing on easy (auto-aim, bullets do more damage, player has more health, etc.)

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

12. Re: Borderlands 2 DLC Coop Mode Dustup Aug 13, 2012, 13:46 Tumbler

If anyone else is wondering what this skill tree actually does I think this is useful.

One of the first skills available in the BFF tree is called Close Enough. This means your bullets that hit walls or other objects, that is, miss their target, have a chance to ricochet off towards the enemy.

"Can't aim? That's not a problem," Hemingway said.

In a gameplay demo, Gearbox showed this skill in action. At points, after taking damage against bandits, the Mechromancer was able to hide behind cover waiting for shields to recharge. From there, she could safely shoot in the general direction of the enemy, with bullets magically hitting targets.

99gamers.com-Game trading site, PC digital trading!
Kickstarter "Game Developer"!

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo