Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle

The Indie Royale Website offers the "Gone Fishin' Bundle," their latest collection of bargain-priced indie games. The bundle includes SOL: Exodus, All Zombies Must Die!, Cubemen, SQUIDS, Platformance: Castle Pain, and Platformance: Temple Death. Those who pay a few extra bucks will also receive a chiptune album. This trailer has more on the new promotion.

View
12. Re: Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle Aug 13, 2012, 04:47 Jerykk

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 02:59:
If people want to be douchebags and squeeze double copies (or unlimited, DRM-free ones in the case of Humble Bundle, etc.) of the games out of one of these, that's their prerogative. I was scoffing at them literally saying "no, if you already have one of the games, you are not allowed to share the copy you just bought." Because that's what people do, they BUY these games, and for them to say that is just plain stupid. It's as if Amazon would tell me I'm not allowed to give keys for Magicka or Sword of the Stars to my buddy because I already had those, and only bought that Paradox Bundle for Crusader Kings II and SOTS II. Again, they can screw right off.

It's not really stupid. From a business standpoint, the appeal of bundles lies in the fact that people will buy them for one or two games, resulting in them also paying for the other games that they otherwise wouldn't have bought separately. Even if the profits per game are significantly lower than if you bought them individually, they're still better than no profits at all. However, if you give away individual games within the bundle, you're significantly decreasing the appeal of the bundle to prospective buyers. If I'm only interested in one or two games in the bundle and you give me those games for free, why would I buy the bundle?

Now, if we were talking about regular-priced bundles, your point would hold more merit. But these indie bundles are ludicrously cheap. They rely on large numbers of sales in order to generate any meaningful revenue and if you're giving away the games in the bundle to your buddies, you're undermining this. This is why Steam doesn't let you gift any extra copies of games you get from bundles and those bundles are significantly more expensive than these indie bundles. It's also why the Humble Bundles only give you one key for all the games, as opposed to individual keys per game.

So yes, it is your prerogative to do whatever you want with the games you get in bundles. But you should realize that your actions have consequences. If these bundles aren't profitable enough to be worth the time and effort needed to create them, they simply won't be created anymore.

Previous Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Aug 12, 16:11 Re: Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle Cutter
  2. Aug 12, 19:19  Re: Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle Flatline
  4. Aug 12, 21:56  Re: Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle TheFragMan
  3. Aug 12, 20:06 Re: Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle SirKnight
  5. Aug 12, 22:10 Re: Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle jacobvandy
  6. Aug 12, 22:58  Re: Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle killer_roach
  7. Aug 12, 23:29   Re: Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle Jerykk
  8. Aug 12, 23:48    Re: Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle killer_roach
  9. Aug 12, 23:51     Re: Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle Jerykk
  10. Aug 13, 00:57 Re: Indie Royale Gone Fishin' Bundle gsilver