Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sleeping Dogs Footage

G4tv.com now offers a "guided tour video" for Sleeping Dogs, the open world action game that was once to be called True Crime: Hong Kong. Here's the description of the clip, which runs for an entire hour. Word is: "United Front Games senior producer Frank O'Connell takes us on a guided tour of the vibrant, and remarkably action-packed, streets of Hong Kong in our final pre-release look at Square Enix's Sleeping Dogs." Thanks nin.

View
25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

25. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 14, 2012, 08:32 ItBurn

Jerykk wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 23:19:
ItBurn wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 08:57:
Hm, this game isn't a 9/10. These reviews came out way too fast. Obviously paid for. This shows more a appropriate 7.5 and 7.8. The game looks ok, but there's no way it can compete with a GTA. This is from a studio that barely made games before http://www.unitedfrontgames.com/.

Hey, the game might still be amazing, but don't get your panties all in a bunch.

Reviews that break embargo can never be trusted because their high scores are the only reason they're allowed to break embargo in the first place. That said, comparing it to GTA is a bit weird. I feel GTA is incredibly overrated these days. It's been quickly surpassed in terms of gameplay. Other open-world games offer better combat, traversal, stealth and mission design. Really, the only thing GTA has going for it is presentation and hype.

Jesus Christ, you know a game better than GTA? Point me to it! I LOVED GTA 4. GTA 4's mechanics weren't the best in any area (except driving), but this is a sum of its parts type of deal. Also, I wasn't saying GTA is the best, just that it's a good game to compare a GTA clone to... But yeah, GTA is the best.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

24. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 13, 2012, 23:19 Jerykk

ItBurn wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 08:57:
Hm, this game isn't a 9/10. These reviews came out way too fast. Obviously paid for. This shows more a appropriate 7.5 and 7.8. The game looks ok, but there's no way it can compete with a GTA. This is from a studio that barely made games before http://www.unitedfrontgames.com/.

Hey, the game might still be amazing, but don't get your panties all in a bunch.

Reviews that break embargo can never be trusted because their high scores are the only reason they're allowed to break embargo in the first place. That said, comparing it to GTA is a bit weird. I feel GTA is incredibly overrated these days. It's been quickly surpassed in terms of gameplay. Other open-world games offer better combat, traversal, stealth and mission design. Really, the only thing GTA has going for it is presentation and hype.

23. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 13, 2012, 12:07 Verno

Yeah no clue where I'm gonna find the time next year. I spent most of my gaming time this year hitting my backlog as it is. I guess maybe I should stop playing JRPGs at some point because they are so time intensive but damn it they're my guilty pleasure  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

22. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 13, 2012, 10:28 xXBatmanXx

Verno wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 09:36:
I'm not very big on the true crime series so I'll probably skip this. This next month is way too dense with games anyway.

Yea. I was thinking I could bang it out this week for $40.00. GW2 coming up along with the beginning of the fall/xmas gaming season. GOING TO BE A BUSY ONE!

Also finishing up 2nd playthrough with friends of Borderlands to prepare for BL2. Going to be a blast.

Darksiders 2
GTA this year? I forget.
Torchlight 2
Grim Dawn
Hitman
Farcry 3
Carmageddeon
Raveged
Path of Exile (already playing)
GW2 will probably take all of my time....

/edit: geez I missed a few! hahaha
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_in_video_gaming

This comment was edited on Aug 13, 2012, 10:38.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

21. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 13, 2012, 09:36 Verno

I'm not very big on the true crime series so I'll probably skip this. This next month is way too dense with games anyway.  

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

20. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 13, 2012, 08:57 ItBurn

19. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 13, 2012, 07:35 xXBatmanXx

Lorcin wrote on Aug 13, 2012, 06:36:
nin wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 21:51:
You're really going to judge the entire game based on that?

No I'l wait for the reviews like normal - I just stopped watching the video with the inane commenter.

You know there is a mute function right? Just sayin. Game looks fun. If you played True Crime 1 and 2 then you know what to expect.

Buy from GreenManGaming? Use this, we both get $2.00 - http://www.greenmangaming.com/?gmgr=purutuwi

18. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 13, 2012, 06:52 nin

Looks awful.

I expect that from you, as you shit on everything.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

17. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 13, 2012, 06:36 Lorcin

No I'l wait for the reviews like normal - I just stopped watching the video with the inane commenter.

16. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 13, 2012, 02:04 Aero

Yeah, I dunno. I suppose I might buy it just because there has been a bit of a drought of action games lately, but given its pedigree, I don't have a huge amount of hope.

I like the premise though, and it looks like the graphics are pretty good for an open-world game, so here's to hoping it's good.

15. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 12, 2012, 23:43 PHJF

Whats 40 bucks right?

About thirteen times what I paid for F3AR?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

14. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 12, 2012, 23:19 Cutter

Lorcin wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 21:02:
Stopped at about 1m when the giant fish tank got smashed and the protagonist didn't even stumble from the weight of the water.

I'd normally ignore that except the idiot commentator went "that's impressive".

update: went to check the time and then noticed the 100+ gallons of water disappear in <2 secs.

There's suspension of disbelief and just sloppy design. If they can't program a tank that big exploding why add it - and what does that mean for the rest of the game?

Looks awful.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's deadů Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

13. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 12, 2012, 23:00 xXBatmanXx

well, 40 @ greenmangaming, 45 at steam.

Grabbed it. 3rd game in the True Crime series, open world, waiting for the new GTA - wtf. Whats 40 bucks right?

12. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 12, 2012, 22:35 Eirikrautha

Stopped at about 1m when the giant fish tank got smashed and the protagonist didn't even stumble from the weight of the water.

update: went to check the time and then noticed the 100+ gallons of water disappear in <2 secs.

There's suspension of disbelief and just sloppy design. If they can't program a tank that big exploding why add it - and what does that mean for the rest of the game?

Yeah! And if you look really carefully, at least half of the water molecules in the water from the tank have an additional hydrogen atom!!!! That's right!

I mean, gameplay and story are one thing, but modeling H3O? Talk about a deal-breaker! I can only suspend disbelief so much... Rolleyes

11. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 12, 2012, 21:51 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

10. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 12, 2012, 21:49 Jerykk

I've heard of nitpicking but this... really? If you're going to nitpick, you should complain about something like vehicle physics, AI, hit detection, controls, etc. Stuff that actually has a meaningful impact on gameplay. But complaining about unrealistic fish tank destruction is pretty silly unless you're talking about a tech demo or a game that revolves around liquid physics (like Hydrophobia).

9. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 12, 2012, 21:02 Lorcin

8. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 12, 2012, 20:51 SM0k3

this looks like some good fun! definitely in for this....  

7. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 12, 2012, 20:02 SpectralMeat

jdreyer wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 16:30:
I thought this was going to be footage of the Gunnar man in action.

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Sleeping Dogs Footage Aug 12, 2012, 18:54 Jerykk

I suspect it will be like most other open-world games and get too repetitious after the first 20 hours. That said, 20 hours of enjoyment isn't a bad deal at all.  

25 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo