Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 13, 2012, 17:28 Jivaro

The one thing I don't envy about a Gates, Jobs, or Torvald is what I refer to as "daily life". I am convinced that I would be a complete asshole as well if I was in any of their positions. The things they are responsible for, the pressure of being "right" or "wrong", a daily schedule that doesn't have time for "nothing" written anywhere into it....I would be a complete dick in a very short amount of time.

Don't get me wrong, I am not sympathizing with them. These are men of power who in all three cases did everything they could to get their positions and maintain them. I am just saying that someone saying "they don't have to be such a dick about it" is patently false in my mind. The reality is that they probably do have to be a dick just to get anything done in a reasonable amount of time and with a suitable method. Hell, I have never been anywhere near a billionaire's level of success in business, but I can tell you from a management perspective, sometimes you just have to cut the pleasantries and skip to the part that matters. This inevitably rubs people the wrong way, but then they always seem so forgiving when it means they can go home from work on time later that day. Funny how that works.

Even if that opinion is completely wrong, I know one thing. None of us here have any idea what it is like to be in those shoes and judging them harshly despite their obvious success because their "approach" rubs us the wrong way seems a bit simple minded. Perhaps even ignorant. We don't know, we haven't been there. I can guarantee if we had, we wouldn't be here. I don't recall Bill or Linus popping in here to give an opinion, defend themselves, or share a BBQ recipe. Although, that would be kind of cool to have Linus pop in..call someone an asshole, demand Blue reformat the website, and then share his Hawaiian BBQ recipe.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 13, 2012, 11:41 Xil

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 16:17:
Wow, I never realized Linus is such a complete douchebag.

he does blow things way out of proportion, but all of those comments made me smile or laugh a bit as they do hold a source of truth

13. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 13, 2012, 09:57 avianflu

Many have said that it is gate's wife who is the driving force behind the charity work.

Gates has always come off in interviews (and for decades) as semi-asperger's. He's clearly mellowed out after retiring. Good for him. I am not sure I would want to one of his kids though.

Jobs is a classic narcissist. So obvious too.

Torvald is like France in the EU -- I let everyone to guess on that one

12. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 13, 2012, 03:58 zip xavier

He's at the very least the lesser of two evils. Both men have had reputations for being cutthroat business men. The difference between the two of them is simple. Bill has been putting tons of his money towards helping people. Steve Jobs had made little to no contributions towards charitable causes. Perhaps karma does exist.  

11. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 13, 2012, 02:36 mag

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 20:16:
Axis wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 19:33:
I agree, doesn't make him any less respected as a leader on Linux and innovation.

I mean look at Bill Gates. Dude is smart and seems like a nice guy. But ya know what he's a dick. It's about what you do, not what you say...

Yeah, all those billions Gates has given to charity. What an asshole. And Linus does what again?

Bill Gates's charity work is great, but he was by all accounts a ruthless, assholeish business person. Doing good things and being an asshole aren't mutually exclusive.

10. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 12, 2012, 21:50 Mashiki Amiketo

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 20:16:
Yeah, all those billions Gates has given to charity. What an asshole. And Linus does what again?
He's the god-queen of Linux. That's about it. Last time I looked at his charity work, he's given nearly 50% of his total wealth away. The last time I heard him speak in person in Toronto, he wanted to give away 100%, the problem he said was, there's always more work to be done than the money he has.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

9. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 12, 2012, 20:16 Cutter

Axis wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 19:33:
I agree, doesn't make him any less respected as a leader on Linux and innovation.

I mean look at Bill Gates. Dude is smart and seems like a nice guy. But ya know what he's a dick. It's about what you do, not what you say...

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

8. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 12, 2012, 19:33 Axis

Yours truly,

Axis

7. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 12, 2012, 19:11 Burrito of Peace

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 18:50:
You can be smart, confident, and successful without being a dick. Being rich and famous is no excuse to be that sort of asshole.

Seems to go with the territory. There are still Macspackers who love the taste of Jobsian cock and he was the exact same way.

6. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 12, 2012, 19:02 Frijoles

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 18:50:
You can be smart, confident, and successful without being a dick. Being rich and famous is no excuse to be that sort of asshole.

It's made easier when other wanna-be rich and famous dicks worship him.

5. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 12, 2012, 18:50 Cutter

4. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 12, 2012, 18:12 Burrito of Peace

While the comments highlighted are less than tactful, they certainly have a point.

Especially the one about OpenSUSE. Requiring root password for basic user duties is fucking asinine.

3. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 12, 2012, 18:06 Axis

Linus Owns.

I respect people who are confident for proven reasons, stand by what they say no matter the flavor of the day, and don't give a shit what others think.

Much better than people who are confident for no reasons, change like the wind making excuses for themselves and others, and don't give a shit what others think...

Yours truly,

Axis

2. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 12, 2012, 16:52 killer_roach

Cutter wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 16:17:

It's not like he attempts to hide it or anything.

1. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 12, 2012, 16:17 Cutter

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo