Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play

The Battleground Europe Website announces Cornered Rat Software's MMO shooter also known as World War II Online is now officially free-to-play. They are not making any bones about the fact that you are still going to have to pay to gain access to the best weapons:

As you are all no doubt aware, we announced that we were going to replace our free trial promotion which was never working as well as we'd have liked at getting new accounts into the playerbase, and rolling that change into our desire to offer the ability to play WWIIOL:Battleground Europe for FREE.

Well that day has come! As I write, free accounts are now able to be created and played on the live server. Equipment choices are limited and a premium account cannot be downgraded to a free account. The general rule of thumb is that the equipment a free account user can access is lower down the scale to encourage them to get a paid account in order to get the "good stuff" you all want. As the campaign progresses the quality of equipment a free account can access does improve, but they can never access the latest or best gear.

We hope there are no big issues or hiccups (well d'uh!) and will be watching for any should they occur. So far it's all looking very good.

Everyone have a great time and don't kill all the new dweebs too quickly ok !

See you out there somewhere, in my gunsights !

View
13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

13. Re: Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play Aug 12, 2012, 05:34 Dazzatron

Bloody good game this - if you always wanted to have a look at it but weren't sure..nows your chance

Or..if you never knew it existed, well, your dreams may have come true :)!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

12. Re: Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play Aug 11, 2012, 23:54 Nighthawk

I remember one of the best times I had gaming was on this game.
I had picked the 47mm AT gun, dragged it out by hand since very few people ever took trucks, and parked aiming at a road between 2 bushes.
I saw a panzer driving down the road and my only shot went in between his wheels and took out his engine.
He skidded to a stop and lit up on fire, didn't see me because of the smoke and despawned shortly after.
Epic!

11. Re: Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play Aug 11, 2012, 14:53 ELITE

Yep I played this when it first came out too - for at least a year - I liked the idea - but they're are so slow to implement anything new - I got annoyed and quit - when back to check it out - it's still the same game with a updated interface and graphic tweaks - one can argue that they added some new stuff over the years - but come on - their excuse for not adding stuff is usually "If we add XYZ it will unbalance the game and we need to take time to think about it etc etc"

I hope this free stuff get's their game going strong - but come on - so many years and submarines have not made it in yet.

10. Re: Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play Aug 11, 2012, 13:44 Julio

This game blew chunks when it first came out. I bought this POS, and my first post on this site was to warn others how bad it was.  

9. Re: Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play Aug 11, 2012, 10:35 Sleep

WyldKat wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 05:58:
...no thanks. I'll just wait for Planetside 2.

Yeah, if you think WWIIOL is anything like what PS was or PS2 will be, you're exactly the type of player who'll end up complaining about not finding enemy infantry or no kill cams or flying being too hard. You're way better off waiting.

8. Re: Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play Aug 11, 2012, 05:58 WyldKat

...no thanks. I'll just wait for Planetside 2.  

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 11, 2012, 04:03 Rigs

Wow...I got this when it first came out, which was...2001?!? Holy Geezus! It's the Everquest of WW2MMORPG's...I remember picking this up right at launch at CompUSA in NJ, along with B17 2: The Mighty Eighth, M1 Tank Platoon 2 and Gunship!, all three from long passed (and dear old friend) Microprose. That's how f'ing old this game is! And I remember trying to play it when it launched too, and failing miserably. Not only was the thing more buggy than a south Louisiana bayou during a mid-summer afternoon, it took three separate steps to just fire a rifle! Ah, the good ol' days...I'm seriously surprised that it's still going after all of these years! I might have to try it again just to see how it's 'matured'...

=-Rigs-=

'I know what you think you are, what you want us to believe! But I don't buy it! For three years now you've been pulling everyone's strings, getting us to do all the work, and you haven't done a damn thing except stand there and look cryptic.'

6. Re: Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play Aug 11, 2012, 03:00 Sleep

Amazing game if yuo ever wanted high a reality tank or plane combat sim (minus the plane markers) but not a good infantry combat game. The sub was way too much too, should be 10 bucks not 18.

As to how it has survived? Because theres nothing else like it, but with a steep learning curve. If youre fighting alone or cant find any enemy, youre doing it wrong dweeb, but the game doesnt help you get it right.

5. Re: Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play Aug 10, 2012, 23:46 PHJF

How the hell is this still going? All I remember when it came out what, ten years ago was that it got panned by Computer Gaming World.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

4. Re: Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play Aug 10, 2012, 23:36 RailWizard

I always meant to try this.  

3. Re: Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play Aug 10, 2012, 21:05 Nighthawk

This was a good game, but see the first para, it was taxing, had a lot of potential though....I might pick it back up.  

2. Re: Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play Aug 10, 2012, 20:27 Closed Betas

Lemme guess this slight pay model change is going to be another BETA RELEASE... Lol, 8 years of beta releases is enough milking the cow... Work harder or disappear...  

1. Re: Battleground Europe/WW2 Online Now Free-to-Play Aug 10, 2012, 20:21 Eirikrautha

I played this for over two years, back before the name change. I must say I enjoyed the basic premise, the fact that dedicated players could make a real difference in the war, and the combined arms approach. Unfortunately, the capture system was crap. More importantly, there were never really enough people online to make the battle fun. Either you got an alert on the map screen that a town was under attack, only to find that a single enemy infantry was playing hide and seek in the town (leading to 30 minutes of running around with no action), or you spawned into a lagfest with an incredibly unbalanced force either defending or attacking. The morons that drove all twenty of the tanks right out of spawn into the AT guns, quickly depleting the armor supply in the town, were especially annoying.

I wish the game well, and I think that the basic premise is exceptionally fun, but I just think it was a game predicated on design elements that it couldn't provide (a large player-base, better internet code, etc.)...

13 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo