Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

80. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 13:08 Beamer

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 12:14:
Beamer wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 11:06:
It isn't because I disagree with your point of view, it's that your point of view is de facto disrespectful. You're arguing that other people deserve lesser rights than you. Why should anyone respect that?

You've stated that before, and I asked for quotes that prove it. You can put up, or be a liar.

You're whining (and yes, it is coming across as whining), about gay people wanting to be equal.

Yes, you've never said you're against gay marriage, but you're actually writing lengthy responses that say nothing other than bitching about free speech without realizing no one is asking the federal government to arrest an individual for having a stupid opinion.

Funny how usually the only people bringing up "free speech" have no idea what the Constitution actually protects.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

79. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 12:21 nin

Dr. D. Schreber wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 12:13:
"Being gay is normal. & Being gay is not a choice."Wrong. I don't care what anyone says, you or the egghead community. If you insist that it is, let's see the proof. Show me the 'gay gene'. You can't because it's bullshit.

As a gay man I will never stop finding this hilarious no matter how many times I see it.

Yep, I totally chose to be part of an oppressed demographic that has to constantly deal with people like this telling me I'm a sub-standard human being while treating me worse than other people at the same time.

I mean, how does anyone actually think this works? Do some kids in school have secret meetings once they get to a certain age where they weigh the facts vis-a-vis vaginas versus dicks and come to a conclusion on which is better?

The ignorance in this thread from others is astounding. They're a perfect example of why LGB want a "safe place" to begin with.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

78. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 12:14 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 11:06:
It isn't because I disagree with your point of view, it's that your point of view is de facto disrespectful. You're arguing that other people deserve lesser rights than you. Why should anyone respect that?

You've stated that before, and I asked for quotes that prove it. You can put up, or be a liar.

77. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 12:13 Dr. D. Schreber

"Being gay is normal. & Being gay is not a choice."Wrong. I don't care what anyone says, you or the egghead community. If you insist that it is, let's see the proof. Show me the 'gay gene'. You can't because it's bullshit.

As a gay man I will never stop finding this hilarious no matter how many times I see it.

Yep, I totally chose to be part of an oppressed demographic that has to constantly deal with people like this telling me I'm a sub-standard human being while treating me worse than other people at the same time.

I mean, how does anyone actually think this works? Do some kids in school have secret meetings once they get to a certain age where they weigh the facts vis-a-vis vaginas versus dicks and come to a conclusion on which is better?

NOT THE BEES! NOT THE BEES THEY'RE IN MY EYES AARRGRHGHGGAFHGHFGHFG!

76. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 11:06 Beamer

What separates us, by the way, is that we're intolerant of intolerance, and you're intolerant of how someone is born. You can keep spinning that as "our viewpoints are identical, you're a hypocrite!" as much as you want, but it shows a distinct lack of critical understanding or thought.

-------------

75. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 10:58 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 01:42:
Your point of view is by default disrespectful, hence why few show you respect. Again, as others mentioned, you're asking people to tolerate your intolerance and being surprised when they refuse.

So, because you disagree with my idea (whatever you think it is), you need not show respect? For all the talk of "tolerance", in reality, the only thing that separates you from the gay-bashers is which idea you believe justifies your vitriol.

I've always believed that the complaints that an idea is "disguised hatred" by definition exist solely to justify both ignoring opposing arguments and to free oneself from moral or rational constraints. Disagreeing, believing someone is incorrect or mistaken, is not "hatred." I'll let those reading this thread decide who has been rational, respectful, and has addressed opponents' points, and who has resorted to vitriol, name-calling, and preaching at strawmen...

74. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 06:13 yuastnav

RailWizard wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:13:
[...]
Ah yes, here is another great fallacy. "But but, the animals do it!" Many animals also eat each other. How about that cannibal minority? Where are their equal rights? So blind and stupid....

How is that a fallacy? Animals are gay, humans are also animals. Why would nature change that? It wouldn't make any sense.
Also, if you haven't heard, there are cannibalistic tribes when it comes to humans. Humans eat each other, too. Other societies have developed a set of morals that forbids that, though. There is nothing else stopping us from eating each other but there is just no need for that because we don't have to do that anymore.
You do the same mistake again, though. If we allowed cannibalism there would not be equality anymore because some people would be allowed to eat others. We'd have an inequal society.
We have the same thing here since people like you don't want other sexualities to have the same rights.

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:48:
[...]
Ahhhh, but why do we have morals? Perhaps morals serve to preserve societies or cultures (in the aggregate, not the individual cases)? What if some moralities have enabled certain cultures to be more successful (once again, in the aggregate)? What if cultures evolve like organisms?
[...]

So? I didn't say morals were bad. They are necessary, without them we wouldn't be where we are. But morals have downsides, too, because people can have a set of morals that leads to an inequal society, whereas a pack of animals without morals or reason would base their lives on instinct and would not make a distinction between members who are gay and those who are not.

RailWizard wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 21:58:
"Being gay is normal. & Being gay is not a choice." Wrong. I don't care what anyone says, you or the egghead community. If you insist that it is, let's see the proof. Show me the 'gay gene'. You can't because it's bullshit.

So basically you are stating that opposing opinions do not concern you and that you will believe whatever you want? Then this discussion is kinda moot.
Furthermore, why do you think there is a "gay gene"? It is more likely that homosexuality (and in argumentum e contrario heterosexuality) comes to be thorugh a specific configuration of a set of other genes.

RailWizard wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 02:21:
[...]
That must be some good kool-aid. Go ahead and keep preaching like you and your precious peers know what you're talking about. They don't know what makes some people murderers, but for this, somehow they magically know. Right.
[...]

Only because you may not understand it it doesn't mean that people who do are "drinking the kool-aid". And yes, scientists do know nigh infinitely more than you do because they are not blinded by that irrational rage that you developed for some reason, probably from upbringing or environmental influence or chance - most likely a mix of all of that. And guess what: it is the same with murderers. Maybe some people are genetically better predisposed to become murderers but that alone is not enough. There are a lot of other factors that you have to consider but that is not relevant to our discussion because one's sexuality is mostly something that is decided before birth.

[...]
I suppose people that don't think Kim Jong Il is a living god are all rejecting reality too, right?

How is that relevant to this discussion?

73. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 04:54 netnerd85

RailWizard wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 00:02:
People are killed because of their race and religion faaaar more than any other groups. They also like to have their little 'safe' groups, and I disagree with that too. Thanks for asking.
Eirikrautha is an idiot but you are a dangerous human being. You hate everyone different to yourself. Let me guess, white male in your 40's?

Your opinions are deeply embedded and no amount of facts written on a screen will ever change your mind. The only thing that will change your mind, hopefully, is an event in your life such as your daughter marrying a black man or your son turning out to be gay.

I don't know you but given what you have said on these posts indicate you are indeed a very dangerous human being. Not because of any physical harm you may cause but because of your thought patterns.

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 13:23:
You are missing the point. Being black is normal. Being gay is normal. They happen naturally through no control of the human being. Following a religion is your choice. Being gay is not a choice. Once you realise that the rest falls into place.

I think you mean, once you decide to believe that. aka brainwash yourself.

"Being black is normal." You are 100% correct there. This is provable.

"Being gay is normal. & Being gay is not a choice." Wrong. I don't care what anyone says, you or the egghead community. If you insist that it is, let's see the proof. Show me the 'gay gene'. You can't because it's bullshit.
There are other sexual orientations that would like their time in the sun too, but they are ALL deemed to be mental sickness and all you flappy heads just nod like the zombies you are. But we'll just give homosexuality the pass because.......well, just because. Great. The best reason seems to be "it's been around a long time". So fucking what? So have all the others.
In case you are open to any reasoning:

You can watch a documentary that goes into what makes a person gay here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m27Awmlgi38

No one chooses to be attracted to the same sex. I assume you are attracted to the opposite sex? did you choose that? You only choose to engage in sexual activities no those you are attracted to.

I have no idea where you got the idea that the best reason for treating homosexuals with equality as other human beings because "it's been around a long time" from? seriously do tell me? I've never heard that one before. It's naturally occurring, happening in NO LESS than 11% of the worlds population.

That must be some good kool-aid. Go ahead and keep preaching like you and your precious peers know what you're talking about. They don't know what makes some people murderers, but for this, somehow they magically know. Right.
Um, have you picked up a book in the last 50 years? There are MANY different reasons why people murder each other but serial killers are most white males that have no friends:
http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/notorious/tick/9b.html
http://livingamongpredators.over-blog.com/article-35527842.html

Try actually knowing about the subjects you wish to bring up. You are talking about people being brain washed... were you home schooled?

This comment was edited on Aug 12, 2012, 05:05.

72. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 03:19 Bhruic

I suppose people that don't think Kim Jong Il is a living god are all rejecting reality too, right?

I've never understood why people who have no knowledge are so dismissive of people who do have knowledge. It's not like the studies are private. You could go look them up. But without doing so, you're not in a position to make any claims about the validity of them.

And show me the peer reviewed studies claiming that Kim Jong Il is a living god, and I'll see whether that's a reality.

71. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 02:21 RailWizard

Bhruic wrote on Aug 12, 2012, 01:26:

You don't care what the people who studied it say, you're not going to believe them anyway (paraphrasing your own words). So of course you're not going to believe any of the proof that exists. It's never going to be enough for you.

The majority, if not all, of peer reviewed studies have shown that homosexuality is not a choice. If you choose not to believe that, that's fine, but you are willfully disbelieving reality. How can you expect anyone to take you or anything you say seriously once you've stated that's your arguing position?

70. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 01:44 Bhruic

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 19:08:
What do they teach in schools today?

Today? No idea, it's been quite some time since I've been in school. Regardless...

There can be no "Rosa Parks" in nations that do not respect the validity of the arguments she makes.

If the nation had already respected her position, she'd have had nothing to protest, as there wouldn't have been any laws forcing her to sit at the back of the bus.

The Tienanmen Square uprising was put down brutally. The guy who stepped in front of the tanks was run over and crushed (that's the part they never show on the documentaries).

Even if true, what do you think this proves? I don't believe I made the claim that every single time a minority stood up for themselves it worked out wonderfully. Often times it ends up like it did for that guy. I don't think that alters the fact that if no one stood up, there'd be no incentive to change.

If the vast majority of Americans weren't open to the idea of racial equality, Parks would have been beaten down and no change made.

The vast majority of the Americans at the time weren't open to the idea of racial equality. Again, hence the existence of such laws as she was fighting. It wasn't the majority of Americans that tried the case, it was a court of law. It was law that changed, and it changed in order to protect minority rights (as it should).

It's worth pointing out that you've already basically agreed to this with your statement:
Blacks in the US convinced the majority of the population that they were morally and ethically wrong (often at great cost to themselves).

The "great cost to themselves" is what I'm talking about. Without those sacrifices, change - if any - would have been significantly slower in coming. So why are you arguing against homosexuals attempting to convince people in the same fashion?

There's just no comparison between a genetic characteristic like race and a behavioral one.

Well I suppose it's a good thing we're considering a genetic characteristic like homosexuality then, rather than a behavioural one.

69. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 01:43 Beamer

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:44:
RailWizard wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:37:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:36:
RailWizard wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:20:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:52:
You couldn't care less what kind of abuse and bullying gay gamers have to deal with.

On the internet, everybody bullies everybody. Gays just think they can leverage their new found sympathy to receive some special treatment where everybody still gets bullied except for them.
Right. Because everybody gets bullied like they do. Because bullying gays is just as unacceptable to most people as bullying blacks, hispanics, christians, jews, etc, right? What planet do you live on?

Well to paraphrase previous posts... How would you know?
How would I know what? Whether they get bullied more? Whether its accepted more? What planet you live on? What exactly are you asking?

heh yes feign ignorance now. Do ignore that you just made a statement speaking for a particular group. Are you that group? If not, then how do you know?

People are killed because of their race and religion faaaar more than any other groups. They also like to have their little 'safe' groups, and I disagree with that too. Thanks for asking.

Fortunately white christians have most of the world's power and nothing to fear.

-------------

68. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 01:42 Beamer

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:09:
Beamer wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:01:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 21:16:
Beamer wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:59:
Can we all agree to block Eirikrautha? 77 posts, most of which are in this topic whining about how people that are different than him don't deserve the same rights as him.

Good guy!

Yeah! Burn the witch! I made one post and got jumped all over here. But I suppose I'm not entitled to argue my point...

BTW. Post the quote where I say "people that are different than me don't deserve the same rights as me" or be a liar.

No one said you weren't entitled to your point.
We said your point was a bad, irrational, hateful one.

That's our point. Will you say we're not entitled to it?

Of course you are entitled to it. Where did I say you have to shut up? Ironically, the only person that has been called names on this thread is me. Except for baiting Cutter (which shouldn't count), show me where I haven't been respectful (mostly ), even with the points I disagree with. And the response has been virulent. Which is my point. Hypocrisy... it's what's for dinner...

Your point of view is by default disrespectful, hence why few show you respect. Again, as others mentioned, you're asking people to tolerate your intolerance and being surprised when they refuse.

-------------

67. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 01:26 Bhruic

You don't care what the people who studied it say, you're not going to believe them anyway (paraphrasing your own words). So of course you're not going to believe any of the proof that exists. It's never going to be enough for you.

The majority, if not all, of peer reviewed studies have shown that homosexuality is not a choice. If you choose not to believe that, that's fine, but you are willfully disbelieving reality. How can you expect anyone to take you or anything you say seriously once you've stated that's your arguing position?

66. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 00:56 Wowbagger_TIP

heh yes feign ignorance now. Do ignore that you just made a statement speaking for a particular group. Are you that group? If not, then how do you know?

First of all, we're talking specifically about the US here. What happens in other fucked up places in the world is not relevant to this issue, as this has to do with US culture. In the US, gay people face more abuse, including violent abuse, than just about any other group. FBI hate crime statistics show nearly 20% being based on sexual orientation. Religion beats it out, but just barely, and that includes all religions. Race accounts for nearly half, but again, spread across all races. So, as a group, non-heterosexual people face a rather exceptionally high amount of hatred in this country.

As for speaking for a group, I don't see why I need to be in the group to see the hatred directed at them all over the place. I'm sure one day it will be different, but for now, they face the kind of prejudice that other minorities have faced in the past. Sad that these things have to be repeated because of petty, bigoted people.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

65. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 12, 2012, 00:02 RailWizard

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:44:
You couldn't care less what kind of abuse and bullying gay gamers have to deal with.

On the internet, everybody bullies everybody. Gays just think they can leverage their new found sympathy to receive some special treatment where everybody still gets bullied except for them.
Right. Because everybody gets bullied like they do. Because bullying gays is just as unacceptable to most people as bullying blacks, hispanics, christians, jews, etc, right? What planet do you live on?

How would I know what? Whether they get bullied more? Whether its accepted more? What planet you live on? What exactly are you asking?

64. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:57 Wowbagger_TIP

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:51:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:43:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:01:
Ohhhhh... how perceptive of you. You've foiled my diabolical plan by carefully discerning my "bigotry." How about you explain it to everyone else? With quotes! Because otherwise, if you can't directly quote where I have blindly held to my beliefs without hearing or addressing the opposing viewpoints (that being the definition of "bigot"... sound familiar?), then your entire screed is nothing more than your own delusional projection.

I look forward to the quotes.
I'm not bothering to pull the quotes. Anyone who cares to can go back and read what you wrote. You seem to think it's fine for Chick-Fil-A's CEO to speak against gays, but bad to boycott them because of it. You've made several comments about how gays being open about their sexuality are inviting the abuse. You concede a point about how incidental comments can out someone as gay, but then simply dismiss it, claiming they shouldn't have their own gathering. Try making a decent argument that isn't bigotted on its face.

Game. Set. Match.
My thoughts exactly. You just go on ignoring the arguments and spouting your nonsense.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

63. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:51 Eirikrautha

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:43:
Ohhhhh... how perceptive of you. You've foiled my diabolical plan by carefully discerning my "bigotry." How about you explain it to everyone else? With quotes! Because otherwise, if you can't directly quote where I have blindly held to my beliefs without hearing or addressing the opposing viewpoints (that being the definition of "bigot"... sound familiar?), then your entire screed is nothing more than your own delusional projection.

I'm not bothering to pull the quotes. Anyone who cares to can go back and read what you wrote. You seem to think it's fine for Chick-Fil-A's CEO to speak against gays, but bad to boycott them because of it. You've made several comments about how gays being open about their sexuality are inviting the abuse. You concede a point about how incidental comments can out someone as gay, but then simply dismiss it, claiming they shouldn't have their own gathering. Try making a decent argument that isn't bigotted on its face.

Game. Set. Match.

62. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:44 Wowbagger_TIP

61. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:43 Wowbagger_TIP

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo