Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

60. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:37 RailWizard

Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:36:
RailWizard wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:20:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:52:
You couldn't care less what kind of abuse and bullying gay gamers have to deal with.

On the internet, everybody bullies everybody. Gays just think they can leverage their new found sympathy to receive some special treatment where everybody still gets bullied except for them.
Right. Because everybody gets bullied like they do. Because bullying gays is just as unacceptable to most people as bullying blacks, hispanics, christians, jews, etc, right? What planet do you live on?

Well to paraphrase previous posts... How would you know?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

59. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:36 Wowbagger_TIP

RailWizard wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:20:
You couldn't care less what kind of abuse and bullying gay gamers have to deal with.

On the internet, everybody bullies everybody. Gays just think they can leverage their new found sympathy to receive some special treatment where everybody still gets bullied except for them.
Right. Because everybody gets bullied like they do. Because bullying gays is just as unacceptable to most people as bullying blacks, hispanics, christians, jews, etc, right? What planet do you live on?

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

58. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:26 RailWizard

PHJF wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 23:04:
What are the gays willing to sacrifice? The answer seems to be nothing while insisting that everyone else make some(all?) for them.

Actually they are willing to sacrifice their lives for you in the US military... but the military doesn't want them. (I was at this point going to insult you very strongly, but thought better of it. Insert a strongly worded insult against yourself here, please. Make it extra strong.)

What the fuck does that have to do with learning to be social?

Also, since you brought it up, there has been gays in the military since the dawn of time. They are quite adept and willing to kill people for whatever cause it seems. Most of histories "great" generals were all gay. There is an ocean of meaning in that I think.

edit: about insulting myself...I am by no means perfect. That's about the best I can do. I leave the rest to you as I wouldn't want to deprive you of your fun.

This comment was edited on Aug 11, 2012, 23:36.

57. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:20 RailWizard

56. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:04 PHJF

What are the gays willing to sacrifice? The answer seems to be nothing while insisting that everyone else make some(all?) for them.

Actually they are willing to sacrifice their lives for you in the US military... but the military doesn't want them. (I was at this point going to insult you very strongly, but thought better of it. Insert a strongly worded insult against yourself here, please. Make it extra strong.)

Steam + PSN: PHJF

55. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 23:01 Eirikrautha

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:20:
Wowbagger_TIP wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:09:
WarpCrow wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 21:50:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:48:
And all from a simple, yet irrefutable, idea: "On the internet, they only way someone knows you are a gay gamer is if you decide it's so important that you must tell them..."

Or if you mention your SO, or if you happen to remark that someone or a character in a game is attractive, or if you mention in passing any number of things from your daily life that identify your sexuality but you have the luxury of taking all of that for granted. So yeah, if you just ignore anything but talking about games, you could probably hide it. Most people, straight and gay, don't do that, nor should they have to.

Exactly. He believes that it's ok to speak out against gays and slander and defame them all you want, because they have it coming for not hiding it well enough apparently. Yeah, he doesn't really make any sense. He sure thinks he's some kind of intellectual giant making these ridiculous arguments though.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the textbook example of the strawman logical fallacy. Tell me, oh great mind-reader, what the rest of the mere mortals here are thinking right now... Worship
Keep dodging buddy... you've revealed your own bigotry time and again here. You couldn't care less what kind of abuse and bullying gay gamers have to deal with. You just don't like the fact that they don't hide the fact that they're gay. If incidental exposure didn't lead to all manner of abuse, they wouldn't need their "safe place". It's assholes like you that make that necessary.

Ohhhhh... how perceptive of you. You've foiled my diabolical plan by carefully discerning my "bigotry." How about you explain it to everyone else? With quotes! Because otherwise, if you can't directly quote where I have blindly held to my beliefs without hearing or addressing the opposing viewpoints (that being the definition of "bigot"... sound familiar?), then your entire screed is nothing more than your own delusional projection.

I look forward to the quotes.

54. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:52 Wowbagger_TIP

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:20:
And all from a simple, yet irrefutable, idea: "On the internet, they only way someone knows you are a gay gamer is if you decide it's so important that you must tell them..."

Or if you mention your SO, or if you happen to remark that someone or a character in a game is attractive, or if you mention in passing any number of things from your daily life that identify your sexuality but you have the luxury of taking all of that for granted. So yeah, if you just ignore anything but talking about games, you could probably hide it. Most people, straight and gay, don't do that, nor should they have to.

Exactly. He believes that it's ok to speak out against gays and slander and defame them all you want, because they have it coming for not hiding it well enough apparently. Yeah, he doesn't really make any sense. He sure thinks he's some kind of intellectual giant making these ridiculous arguments though.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the textbook example of the strawman logical fallacy. Tell me, oh great mind-reader, what the rest of the mere mortals here are thinking right now... Worship
Keep dodging buddy... you've revealed your own bigotry time and again here. You couldn't care less what kind of abuse and bullying gay gamers have to deal with. You just don't like the fact that they don't hide the fact that they're gay. If incidental exposure didn't lead to all manner of abuse, they wouldn't need their "safe place". It's assholes like you that make that necessary.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell (I think...)

53. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:24 RailWizard

PHJF wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:12:
I also think it's hilarious how I'm the one deserving of derogatory labeling as the normal one condemning abnormality.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give to you: a supporter of eugenics!

If I was, I'd be talking about a lot more than just 'silence'. Learning to live together means sacrifice. What are the gays willing to sacrifice? The answer seems to be nothing while insisting that everyone else make some(all?) for them.

52. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:20 Eirikrautha

51. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:14 Eirikrautha

That's a fair point. I haven't argued that anyone has to be focused totally on gaming and never mention anything personal. But you have to admit that making the focus of your gathering your sexuality is just a little far beyond "incidental exposure"...

50. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:13 RailWizard

yuastnav wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:32:
Though homophobia is a result of morality. Without morals homophobia would not exist (for that see other animals).

Ah yes, here is another great fallacy. "But but, the animals do it!" Many animals also eat each other. How about that cannibal minority? Where are their equal rights? So blind and stupid....

49. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:12 PHJF

I also think it's hilarious how I'm the one deserving of derogatory labeling as the normal one condemning abnormality.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give to you: a supporter of eugenics!

Steam + PSN: PHJF

48. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:09 Wowbagger_TIP

47. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:09 Eirikrautha

Beamer wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 22:01:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 21:16:
Beamer wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:59:
Can we all agree to block Eirikrautha? 77 posts, most of which are in this topic whining about how people that are different than him don't deserve the same rights as him.

Good guy!

Yeah! Burn the witch! I made one post and got jumped all over here. But I suppose I'm not entitled to argue my point...

BTW. Post the quote where I say "people that are different than me don't deserve the same rights as me" or be a liar.

No one said you weren't entitled to your point.
We said your point was a bad, irrational, hateful one.

That's our point. Will you say we're not entitled to it?

Of course you are entitled to it. Where did I say you have to shut up? Ironically, the only person that has been called names on this thread is me. Except for baiting Cutter (which shouldn't count), show me where I haven't been respectful (mostly ), even with the points I disagree with. And the response has been virulent. Which is my point. Hypocrisy... it's what's for dinner...

46. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 22:01 Beamer

Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 21:16:
Can we all agree to block Eirikrautha? 77 posts, most of which are in this topic whining about how people that are different than him don't deserve the same rights as him.

Good guy!

Yeah! Burn the witch! I made one post and got jumped all over here. But I suppose I'm not entitled to argue my point...

BTW. Post the quote where I say "people that are different than me don't deserve the same rights as me" or be a liar.

No one said you weren't entitled to your point.
We said your point was a bad, irrational, hateful one.

That's our point. Will you say we're not entitled to it?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 21:58 RailWizard

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 13:23:
You are missing the point. Being black is normal. Being gay is normal. They happen naturally through no control of the human being. Following a religion is your choice. Being gay is not a choice. Once you realise that the rest falls into place.

I think you mean, once you decide to believe that. aka brainwash yourself.

"Being black is normal." You are 100% correct there. This is provable.

"Being gay is normal. & Being gay is not a choice." Wrong. I don't care what anyone says, you or the egghead community. If you insist that it is, let's see the proof. Show me the 'gay gene'. You can't because it's bullshit.
There are other sexual orientations that would like their time in the sun too, but they are ALL deemed to be mental sickness and all you flappy heads just nod like the zombies you are. But we'll just give homosexuality the pass because.......well, just because. Great. The best reason seems to be "it's been around a long time". So fucking what? So have all the others.

I also think it's hilarious how I'm the one deserving of derogatory labeling as the normal one condemning abnormality. That's just whitewashing. Plain and simple. You want to see a hypocrite? Look in the mirror.

44. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 21:50 WarpCrow

43. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 21:16 Eirikrautha

Good guy!

42. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 20:59 Beamer

Good guy!

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

41. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 11, 2012, 20:48 Eirikrautha

yuastnav wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:32:
Eirikrautha wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 20:20:
yuastnav wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 19:43:
Since being gay is not a question of taste but one of biology it would be advisable to drop the theories that have been falsified.
And don't forget: Humans are not born with a specific set of morals or ethics so no one is born a homophobe. You become one.

Actually, no human being is born gay (or straight), either. Sexual attraction is developed during puberty. There is no consensus on the origin of same-sex attraction... and there are certainly no peer reviewed studies that have identified a biological "cause" of same-sex attraction. While biology might very well play a role, you are channeling your beliefs here... not facts.

At least you admit that this is about changing other people's morals. I applaud your honesty. Why you feel qualified to impose your morality on others, I don't know...

In a world where no one cared about sexuality, we wouldn't have gaming groups dedicated to certain sexualities. But obviously some people do care.

It does not really matter when sexual attraction is developed. Every person is wired in a certain way and some of these things only take effect at a certain age. Some may be prone to fall to some illness easier than others, some are fated to develop a condition with a higher probability etc. and some are born gay, others straight, other asexual and what not.

And yes, it is about morals. There is no such thing as immorality, only morality that differs form the morality of a certain individual or a group (i.e. society).
Humans differ from animals slightly in the sense that they have reason and morals are a function of that reason. It is a credo and a curse.
Though homophobia is a result of morality. Without morals homophobia would not exist (for that see other animals).

Ahhhh, but why do we have morals? Perhaps morals serve to preserve societies or cultures (in the aggregate, not the individual cases)? What if some moralities have enabled certain cultures to be more successful (once again, in the aggregate)? What if cultures evolve like organisms?

This would make an interesting corollary discussion as well, but I'm getting a little bored with poking the hornets nest tonight. I've managed to get Cutter to ignore me (yes!), so I've gotten all the fun I came for.

140 Replies. 7 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo