Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support

2K Games and Firaxis Games announce they are including multiplayer support in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, the upcoming action/strategy continuation of the classic UFO series. There are firsthand multiplayer previews on Eurogamer, GameSpy, and Kotaku, and here's word:

2K Games announced today that XCOM®: Enemy Unknown, the highly anticipated action-strategy game from Firaxis Games, will include a unique multiplayer game mode featuring a one-on-one deathmatch against another player for the first time in an XCOM game. Players will be able to pick a squad of soldiers, aliens or even combine a squad of both unit types to create the ultimate mixed squad to command in battle.

“Throughout the history of the XCOM series, players have acted as the world’s last hope against the alien invasion,” said Jake Solomon, lead designer of XCOM: Enemy Unknown. “With the multiplayer mode in XCOM: Enemy Unknown, gamers can finally find out what it’s like to command alien units and unleash extraterrestrial destruction on Planet Earth or defend it with a squad of XCOM soldiers and alien allies.”

Multiplayer in XCOM: Enemy Unknown draws on the gameplay, tactics and strategy of the single-player experience without making any direct ties to the narrative, offering a standalone opportunity for gamers to enjoy the XCOM universe. Players can mix and match both alien and soldier units to comprise their squad, outfitting soldiers with dozens of armor types, weapons, items and class-based abilities for thousands of possible loadout combinations. These dream squads of up to six units are built using a point cap that can be scaled for players to fight in small skirmishes all the way up to epic battles. Matches can be modified by point limit or time limit per turn. Just like the single-player experience, the fog of war will conceal your enemy’s units until you encounter them on the battlefield, creating the tense anticipation that is the hallmark of the XCOM series.

Gamers can get in on the action early by pre-ordering XCOM: Enemy Unknown from participating retailers to guarantee access to the Elite Soldier Pack, a launch bonus offering top-of-the-line soldier customization features. This limited-time bonus gives players the ultimate tool for soldier customization, including Soldier Deco packs, complete color customization and a classic XCOM soldier, flat top included. There will also be a special edition of XCOM: Enemy Unknown available exclusively for PC at retail locations that contains a copy of the game for PC and a number of unique XCOM items, including an art book; fold-out poster of the XCOM headquarters; XCOM insignia patch; and a collection of digital bonus assets such as desktop wallpaper, soundtrack and more. To pre-order now, visit http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/preorder.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown will be available for Windows PC, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system in North America on October 9, 2012 and internationally on October 12, 2012. XCOM: Enemy Unknown is rated M for Mature by the ESRB. For more information, please visit www.xcom.com. For the latest news and information on XCOM: Enemy Unknown, become a fan on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/XCOM.

View
24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

24. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 11, 2012, 15:09 Dev

Yifes wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 21:54:
Prez wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 19:00:
Terror From the Deep's biggest issue was the tedious hour-long hunt for the last alien on the map. Having to look in every damn room behind every goddamn door on the luxury liner for the last lobsterman was just stupid.

Problem solved: If you get tired of hunting for the last alien, just use xcomutil to kill it and finish the mission.

TFTD is pretty good, and after playing it, it's hard to go back to the original and dealing with issues like not being able to open doors unless you walk through them. Plus, the extra mission types and added difficulty is great. My only real complaint is that lobstermen look ridiculous and sonic cannons without auto fire suck compared to heavy plasma.
There's a lot of cool features in that xcomutil.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

23. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 11, 2012, 13:24 Prez

Yifes wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 21:54:
Terror From the Deep's biggest issue was the tedious hour-long hunt for the last alien on the map. Having to look in every damn room behind every goddamn door on the luxury liner for the last lobsterman was just stupid.

Problem solved: If you get tired of hunting for the last alien, just use xcomutil to kill it and finish the mission.

TFTD is pretty good, and after playing it, it's hard to go back to the original and dealing with issues like not being able to open doors unless you walk through them. Plus, the extra mission types and added difficulty is great. My only real complaint is that lobstermen look ridiculous and sonic cannons without auto fire suck compared to heavy plasma.

Yep. I only ended up finding out about Xcomutil years after I slogged through the campaign without any mods, but that definitely helped. That just leaves the crazy difficulty (the kill last alien cheat is the only one I allow myself to use). I completed the original Xcom on "superhuman" difficulty twice but playing TftD on anything above normal difficulty makes me cry like a girl.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

22. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 21:54 Yifes

21. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 21:44 Xzennon

I agree with the coop idea instead of this PvP crap.

Some of my best memories were coming home from school with my mate and loading up the game, and we'd make our own coop.

We'd split up the squad half/half and have them renamed to things like "Alpha Soldier 1" and "Beta Soldier 1" etc. so we knew who's guy was who's, and take our turns playing with our own guys working together to clear a map. We'd always have our highest ranking soldier renamed as ourselves as a squad-leader.

That kind of coop was the best kind imo. PvP can bite me

20. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 21:24 Riker

TFTD was my first exposure to XCOM, and I love it. Prefer it over UFO even. Bring it on.

Can't wait to play this.

19. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 19:21 theyarecomingforyou

This is ridiculous. Firaxis still hasn't added the promised Pitboss support for Civilization 5, which they said was going to be added in a patch a month after launch.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

18. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 19:00 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

17. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 18:57 irontoes

Dev wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 16:57:
Why is this not on steam? Steam is not listed on the pre-order page or and the game is not in the steam database.

Edit: I read one of the multiplayer previews, sounds like fun!

I asked on the official forums and a Dev replied that it would be on Steam closer to release, and with the pre-order bonus.

16. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 18:34 Dev

Dades wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 17:43:
I'm probably alone in this but I thought Terror from the Deep was a better game
I agree with this too. One of the main things over first one was the addition of melee weapons.

BUT, it was a TOTAL money grab. It was 99% of the first game, just reskinned (almost like some of the CoD games). Identical tech trees, just renamed and reskinned. Identical aliens in almost all cases (lobsters instead of crysalids) except reskinned, etc etc.

As for the theme, I could take it or leave it. I enjoyed an underwater game, but I don't know if I liked it better or not.

15. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 17:47 Beamer

I'm probably alone in this but I thought Terror from the Deep was a better game and way more tense. Something about finding a downed alien ship underwater was just awesome.

I hated TFTD. Hated. Despised. Missions were just too damn long to be fun. The worst offender were cruise ships, which needed different weaponry (lame) and had a serious monster closet issue, in that the final monster was inevitably in a closet and it sometimes took you half an hour just to find that last monster. Then there were the missions that ended in you discovering a base and having to take that base right then and there, low on ammo, and turning a 20 minute mission into a 2 hour one.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 17:46 Slashman

I'm probably alone in this but I thought Terror from the Deep was a better game and way more tense. Something about finding a downed alien ship underwater was just awesome.

Most of the complaints about TFTD were that it was too hard to make it to the endgame. The necessary research items needed etc.

I thought that the game itself was great.

I was excited for Enemy Unknown, but the $60 price tag is not something I'm happy about. I'll wait for a sale.

13. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 17:43 Dades

12. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 17:23 Yifes

Not really into the new chrysalid look. Still, its good that they are keeping a lot of the aliens from the original, and notably, no lobstermen.  

11. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 16:57 Dev

Why is this not on steam? Steam is not listed on the pre-order page or and the game is not in the steam database.

Edit: I read one of the multiplayer previews, sounds like fun!

10. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 15:57 Trevellian

Beamer wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 15:51:
Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 15:46:
Beamer wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 15:27:
The most popular cellphone games work like this.

Name five.

Words With Friends
Scramble With Friends
Hanging With Friends
Draw Something
Carcassonne
Worms 2
Scrabble
Dominion
Uniwar

I don't even have iOS or Android and I can name these off the top of my head.
There is also a Chess game that is turn based. I believe Strategry also has the same style Multiplayer (It's a Risk style game) unfortunately the actual Risk game does not.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

9. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 15:51 Beamer

Fibrocyte wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 15:46:

Name five.

Words With Friends
Scramble With Friends
Hanging With Friends
Draw Something
Carcassonne
Worms 2
Scrabble
Dominion
Uniwar

I don't even have iOS or Android and I can name these off the top of my head.

-------------

8. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 15:51 Jivaro

Also, at the expense of having tomatoes thrown at me, X-COM is just waiting to be a multiplayer, delayed-turn tablet game.

While I couldn't care less about multiplayer, I would buy X-Com, or Heroes of Might and Magic for that matter, on a tablet in a heartbeat. I think those types of games can have an Android/iOs version that doesn't suck. Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, and Planescape Torment as well. Obviously it takes the right developers too...I mean if some assholes come along and make an anime game that depends on in-game purchases to get past the first 5 minutes using the franchise name or something similar then that would suck. I look at all the shooters and puzzle games and wonder when developers are going to start taking advantage of the obvious turn-based genre opportunities. Spiderweb Studios busted out a couple of great turn-based role-playing games that have very cool tablet versions.

As for multiplayer in this X-Com game, I don't care. Co-Op maybe, but PvP without email support is not interesting to me. Hell I am not even sure if I am going to buy this game. It just isn't grabbing me. I am certainly not going to pay 60 bucks for it.

7. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 15:46 Fibrocyte

Name five.

6. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 15:44 Prez

My initial reaction was "Why?" but the original had a play-by-email mp, didn't it? I never used it but I think it did. There was also Laser Squad Nemesis, which had exactly the same mechanics and was multiplayer.  

- Mahatma Gandhi

5. Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown Multiplayer Support Aug 10, 2012, 15:27 Beamer

I think this would be boring co-op. I want complete control.

PVP is somewhat boring because of the down-time. I did a bit of JA:DG and it was never amazing (in part because I had one friend to play with and he wasn't nearly the gamer I am, so I would either slaughter him without blinking or I'd hold back.)

What this needs is a play-by-email function. Yeah, I know, there was actually a Play By Email X-COM, but that's how this works best. You do a turn, send it (thanks to the internet you do this in-game), etc. The most popular cellphone games work like this.

Also, at the expense of having tomatoes thrown at me, X-COM is just waiting to be a multiplayer, delayed-turn tablet game.

-------------

24 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo