Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Mobilization

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 11, 2012, 21:10 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Aug 11, 2012, 11:14:
I blame Vita's demise on smart phones.

I'd say the lack of third party support has been the problem, and it's simple.

If you're a developer, you can either spend $5-10 million to develop a new Vita game... or $500K-3M to develop a DS/3DS game. Both games sell for basically the same amount of money, and there's more customers for Nintendo's systems.

It's all about seeking a return on investment. At this point, Sony needs to take more effort in making content themselves for Vita to help bolster the install base, as people are finding themselves naturally hesitant to drop $250 on a system they might want to play 2-3 games on.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 11, 2012, 13:55 Julio

I agree with most of the comments in this thread...

I didn't buy a Vita because:
-Overpriced custom memory
-No games
-Too expensive

If they had made it so you could buy and download digital games via a USB cable to your PC, storing things on standard memory cards i.e. SD....sigh.

They could have sold it online and in Sony stores and done fine.

19. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 11, 2012, 11:14 Fantaz

I blame Vita's demise on smart phones.  

18. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 11, 2012, 05:08 killer_roach

Flatline wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 16:06:
What's weird is that this is the *exact* same thing that happened with the PSP. I bought one cheap years ago, bought like 8 games, and of those, I played... pinball. Like 99% of the gametime on that stupid handheld was pinball.

In that vein, The Pinball Arcade for Vita is awesome (and a better gaming experience than the same game for iOS/Android).

Creston wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 20:26:
A multi-hundred dollar handheld gaming machine with games that cost 40-60 bucks just isn't going to cut it anymore. Times have changed, Sony. Move on.

What game is $60 on Vita? Hell, Uncharted is the only $50 game. And four of the best games on the platform (Sound Shapes, Escape Plan, Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack!, and The Pinball Arcade) are dirt cheap for the gameplay they offer ($15 or less).

17. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 20:26 Creston

The Vita and its games are way too expensive. Yes, it's an incredible gaming machine for its size, but people play games on their phones or tablets, and those games cost, in general, 99 cents.

A multi-hundred dollar handheld gaming machine with games that cost 40-60 bucks just isn't going to cut it anymore. Times have changed, Sony. Move on.

Creston

16. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 19:45 Jivaro

Bumpy wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 19:34:
I still own and use my PSP and play most of the 15 UMD games I own.

Not being able to play my owned PSP games on Vita is bad move 1.

Expensive new special memory is bad move 2.

Not even updating the downloadable PSP games to fully use Vitas new controls is bad move 3.

Vita hardware is cool but the software is too much of a hindrance financially and usability to me.

Exactly.

15. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 19:41 Jivaro

@Flatline: I am not going to quote all of that....but...

It isn't so much that I disagree or that I don't see your point...I just don't see how it is really all that different from what I said. It seems to me that all you are really doing is setting the priorities differently with the same result: no Vita purchase. This is where my bottom line comes in, Sony's mismanagement of the product.

Honestly, I think they should have stuck to digital downloads only, told retail to fuck themselves and used a standard media like an SD card for memory, and if they had too sell it through Amazon, NewEgg, etc only. I know plenty of people disagree with that or think that it would be shooting themselves in the foot, but honestly I think they're biggest problem is that they are caught in this "product limbo" where their product isn't really satisfying anyone because it is trying to make too many people happy. Pick your target audience, cater to them...and go. If Walmart's priorities are going to be affecting your decisions you have no business setting your price at (game included) ~300 bucks. (for example)

It just mystifies me how people who have been in business for so long and have made so much money for Sony can be so incredibly short sighted as to not even have a solid second generation of games lined up for this system. It blows my mind.

14. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 19:34 Bumpy

I still own and use my PSP and play most of the 15 UMD games I own.

Not being able to play my owned PSP games on Vita is bad move 1.

Expensive new special memory is bad move 2.

Not even updating the downloadable PSP games to fully use Vitas new controls is bad move 3.

Vita hardware is cool but the software is too much of a hindrance financially and usability to me.

13. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 18:26 Mordecai Walfish

nin wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 16:17:
Smartphones & tablets have rendered high-end portables obsolete.

Until they get past touch based controls, I'm going to disagree with you there. But I openly admit I may be in the minority with that opinion...

I agree. I dont consider tapping a glass screen "gaming", whether youre playing a game or not. Tactile feedback and responsiveness to interaction are a cornerstone of gaming to me. I'm not saying the glass screens on some phones/tablets are not responsive, it's just in a different way, and one that is not as suited for proper "gaming" as it is for word games and silly shit like flinging chickens around. (ASTROOO CHICKENNNNN 2000!!)

Bluetooth compatibility with ps3 controllers is very compelling for the Android platform, as that can eliminate this problem, and the PS3 controller is not horribly large or anything. Will be interesting to see if the Ouya will work with a PS3 controller, as well. =)

I think the PS Vita is just a bit overpriced/undersupported, just as the PSP was when it came out.

I finally got a PSP in 2008, after trading a friend of mine a small flatscreen tv for it. It is an original generation PSP 1000 fat and it is the best portable gaming system I've ever used. It just took a bit of "wrangling" to get around the Stupid Sony BS (tm). First there was the proprietary memory cards, which wasnt too much of a problem, because Sony used them in other products they make (the Pro Duo). I made my own with 2 micro SD cards and a converter that cost me a total of $40 for 32GB of memory card, which Sony would have gladly charged me $120+ for. Got some custom firmware on there and now I can play many classic PC games from the 90's with ease (I have Quake and Flashback installed right now-- I've played Quake all the way through on the PSP while I was waiting on a delayed flight out of Minneapolis) but Flashback is one tough motherfucking game I haven't even gotten 1/4 through that yet.

Now, we have a new proprietary format card, one SPECIFIC to the PSP, which they are going to charge even more of a premium for. This is done for service to Retail, yes.. but the reality of the situation is that they should have implemented a downloadable game system, making all of them accessible without driving out to a games store, and letting customers use their existing memory cards, whether it be MicroSD or Pro Duo or whatever. Instead Sony alienates an entire installed base of users who bought their Pro Duo crap for the PSP and now tell them that it is not enough that they paid such a premium on the last generation, but that they expect them to do the same again.
It's just terrible business strategy and seems like it was made with corporate profit as the only real determining factor, while leaving your already-installed user base out to dry, forcing them to re-pay for stuff they already own.. etc.

In times of economic downturn, you want a product that gamers will see value in, not another series of financial hurdles put in front of them just to experience that.

Imagine if the new PSP accepted SD cards, which everyone already owns. Imagine if they let you download new games whenever you want, without paying Retail premiums, say $30 for AAA portable titles. Now imagine also you were able to play the games you had bought from the Playstation store on either your PS3 or original PSP (the ones that are hardware-compatibile, anyway, which is like 99gazillion titles)

In my imagination that is a very successful platform, and one that I would have bought DAY 1, without a hesitation. Sony, in their infinite wisdom, decided it would be better to maximize profit by re-selling all the same crap over again because thats totally what people want. And we see what that led to: Hesitation to adopt, 3rd party pull-out.

The official PR line when they release the stripped down version of the Vita without the cool shit (like the touch panel) is that they were "Over-ambitious" with the Vita originally.. Truth be told; they were just too greedy.

And that they don't realize the sheer amount of profit they could make by having an accessible and compatible platform, in the first place, tells me that the absolute wrong people are steering the ship over there.

I'll probably end up being a late-adopter of the Vita at some point, mainly because of how fucking cool (and functional!) the original PSP is.. but I dont see that being any time in the near (1-2 year) future.

12. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 17:55 Ray Marden

The limited games and pricing do not help them, but I almost think they made a handheld for the wrong market.

I have never - never, never, never - been that interested in the handheld market. If I am at home, I have superior consoles and a PC to play. If I am traveling, I am focused on or entertained by what I am doing. Having said that, if I was going to ever design a handheld, the Vita is what I would want - basically a PS3/360/PC that fits in my hand.

Meanwhile, there is a huge handheld market - people that actively want to play on a smaller handheld without regard for having consoles or a PC - but they seem to want something else. They want a certain type or range of games. They want a gimmick feature that identifies the handheld. They want a quirky version of an existing game. They want games for children.

Unless they make some drastic changes, it looks like the Vita will be a failure, but I think it is a shame since it really is a nice handheld system - about the only one I have ever remotely thought about purchasing.
Though I still have no intention of buying a handheld.
Thinking they could focus less on the touchscreen aspect,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

11. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 17:37 Dades

nin wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 16:17:

Until they get past touch based controls, I'm going to disagree with you there. But I openly admit I may be in the minority with that opinion...

You can use a PS3 controller with an Android phone right now, they added support for game controllers in 4.0 ICS. I think it is kind of ridiculous to tote both around but the option is there.

Kids are the main market for portable gaming outside of Japan where public transportation is ubiquitous. Nintendo has a lock on them thanks to Mario, Pokemon and their other mascots. Sony is making portable systems for adults which is to be lauded but their market has consoles, computers and many other places to game already. They also don't have the same travel time to use for portable gaming that a younger audience will.

10. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 16:17 nin

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 16:06 Flatline

Jivaro wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 12:00:
Sony finally makes an awesome handheld, in terms of the hardware, and they can't give it away. I mean, it is the best gaming solution for people who want to game on the move in nearly every technical way but because everyone already owns a tablet or a smartphone they don't want to carry another device.

You need to stop right here. Smartphones & tablets have rendered high-end portables obsolete.

A strong software library would help, but the Vita was DOA because the market has changed.

People's playing habits aren't conductive to spending 40 bucks on a portable game that they'll play for 5 minutes twice a week while in line for lunch.

Let's put it this way. I already have an iPhone. I have two options for portable gaming. Buy Angry Birds for 99 cents (or something else for 2-3 bucks), or spend 250-300 dollars on a vita and *one* game.

There's absolutely no contest. Crappy software libraries are the nail in the coffin.

What's weird is that this is the *exact* same thing that happened with the PSP. I bought one cheap years ago, bought like 8 games, and of those, I played... pinball. Like 99% of the gametime on that stupid handheld was pinball.

I'm more and more convinced Sony has no idea what it's doing anymore.

8. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 15:30 Cutter

The console is over. This will be the last generation of them with the coming Xbox and PS. I can see Nintendo keeping on possibly though.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

7. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 15:16 Agent.X7

Verno wrote on Aug 10, 2012, 12:10:
I think the Vita is a great piece of hardware but proprietary memory format was a big mistake and the price tag is what it's hurting it, particularly when Nintendo has every other market position covered. I'm not exactly wowed by the software line up, a lot of ports of PS3 titles. I bought some Nintendo portables because there's a lot of interesting games you can't really find elsewhere on them.

Without the proprietary memory, Sony would have sold a lot less Vitas. The big retailers were not going to carry it if all the games could be downloaded cheaper than a retail purchase. The proprietary memory is a concession to big retail to entice them to carry the product in stores. Their markup on it is huge. (Unfortunately, us small guys still make shit on it.)

The Vita is a great system, it was just released at a stupid time. The economy sucks, so nobody wants to take a chance on it - customers and developers. There's very few games, which is a big reason people are not buying. Developers are taking a wait and see approach, which ultimately is leading to the failure of the system, since having no games = low sales = no games being developed.

Add to that that a bunch of promised features either haven't shipped yet (games that play on both the PS3 and Vita), or just outright suck (remote connection to the PS3, which lets you do fuck all right now except move the media bar around.) and you can see why it's floundering.

I have one (Shocking, I know) but all I have played so far is a bunch of Uncharted, and Gravity Rush. I tried Mortal Kombat, but I don't really like fighting games. I tried Dungeon Hunter, but it's a crap version of Diablo. The next good game will be Assassin's Creed III for the Vita, since it's a separate version of the PS3 one. (And I guess madden 13, if you like sports games.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

6. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 15:00 nin

And the PSP used memory sticks and the ever so popular (ha) UMD...

5. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 14:43 Nardles

remember atrac? don't worry, no one but sony does lol...proprietary companies like sony and apple will never get my business. they can cry me a fucking river. boo hoo, sony. dicks. :]  

4. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 13:59 The Half Elf

With exception of the PS1/PS2, hasn't Sony always tried to push out some sort of format that hurts the product more then help it?  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

3. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 12:10 Verno

I think the Vita is a great piece of hardware but proprietary memory format was a big mistake and the price tag is what it's hurting it, particularly when Nintendo has every other market position covered. I'm not exactly wowed by the software line up, a lot of ports of PS3 titles. I bought some Nintendo portables because there's a lot of interesting games you can't really find elsewhere on them.  

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

2. Re: Morning Mobilization Aug 10, 2012, 12:06 nin

I had a first gen PSP, and it was great also. Unfortunately I didn't travel enough to use it as much as I'd like, but worked great for games as well as a media player (both mp3 and video).

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo