Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 11, 2012, 06:04 RailWizard

Yakubs wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 11:09:
$8.2mm is WAY, WAY too much money for something like Kickstarter. Remember, there is no contract involved here, whatsoever. There is no legal leg to stand on for the backers. That's enough money to retire on for someone who is smart with money. The guy who created that Kickstarter could just buy a house with no mortgage, kick back, and live on the interest.

And that's not even counting the possibility that they actually try to launch this thing and it fails miserably.

Damn, maybe I should sign up!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 9, 2012, 13:07 Verno

I wonder if this is going to be one of those rare news items that most people here have the same opinion of. I, too, think this is a giant BS pile. Someone was inspired by the Phantom console, me thinks.

"Hey, we can be 'in development' for years, driving sports cars, having big parties, and wasting cash. Then, when the patience of the investors finally wears out, we'll come out with some crap keyboard and call it a day."

Yeah, I generally don't contribute to a serious venture like this that didn't even have its own website until a few hours ago (whats up there now is about as low effort as it gets too). There's nothing to gain by Kickstarting this. If they bomb out then you wasted $95 on Phantom 2.0. If they don't you shrug and just buy it later for $109. I'm not impressed with their backers either. Square wants to put the dubious port of FFIII (no, not the one with Sabin) which is $15 on the regular Android marketplace now. I don't care about OnLive streaming. XBMC is cool but I can get that streaming ability from many different sources these days. Porting touch screen games and apps requires a surprising amount of work, particularly if you want it to work with a controller.

I remember in the first week they had stuff like "We're working hard to bring games like Call of Duty to Ouya!" when in reality they were just name dropping things that they knew people would associate favorably with it. There's a big image with "ALL GAMES FREE TO PLAY!" when the reality is a lot different and that's probably a stumbling block to getting industry attention on the platform. The whole thing just seems off but oh well, I guess if people get scammed then its just $100. Just a shame that stuff like gets $8m and something like Defense Grid 2 can barely break 250k.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2012, 13:25.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

12. Re: Ouya Aug 9, 2012, 12:48 Agent.X7

Cutter wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 12:08:
ASeven wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 11:50:
I'm with Creston on this one. Ouya always sounded a bit fishy to me and though it would be nice if they delivered a finished product I always had a feeling this may be a scam. A shame if it ends up being so but anyone who stopped and thought about it could see that there's a lot of gaping holes and inconsistencies in this project, some Creston pointed out.

P.T. Barnum is grinning from ear to ear right about now.

I wonder if this is going to be one of those rare news items that most people here have the same opinion of. I, too, think this is a giant BS pile. Someone was inspired by the Phantom console, me thinks.

"Hey, we can be 'in development' for years, driving sports cars, having big parties, and wasting cash. Then, when the patience of the investors finally wears out, we'll come out with some crap keyboard and call it a day."

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

11. Re: Ouya Aug 9, 2012, 12:11 Verno

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 10:56:
Creston wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 10:50:
8.6 million dollars down the drain. Sad.

Creston
You don't think they will deliver?

The cost of the parts without manufacturer discounts for mass volume (which would be minimal at best for 20000 orders), was $107 last time someone broke them down. I believe they were pushing this as a $99 product last time I checked. I'm not sure how receptive the audience is going to be to overpriced software for a supposedly open box with DRM when they have many free alternatives and the know how required to do something about it.

Their message of what they are trying to deliver is often at odds with itself and changes day to day. The impression that I get from watching interviews is that they are just trying to please everyone. So far it's been a really slick marketing campaign but that's about all that it is. I would be very surprised if this thing actually got off the ground, keep in mind they approached many banks and venture capitalists who all passed on this before heading to Kickstarter as a last resort.

This comment was edited on Aug 9, 2012, 12:22.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

10. Re: Ouya Aug 9, 2012, 12:08 Cutter

ASeven wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 11:50:
I'm with Creston on this one. Ouya always sounded a bit fishy to me and though it would be nice if they delivered a finished product I always had a feeling this may be a scam. A shame if it ends up being so but anyone who stopped and thought about it could see that there's a lot of gaping holes and inconsistencies in this project, some Creston pointed out.

P.T. Barnum is grinning from ear to ear right about now.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 9, 2012, 12:02 space captain

yeh, its thursday  
Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Ouya Aug 9, 2012, 11:50 ASeven

7. Re: Ouya Aug 9, 2012, 11:43 Creston

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 10:56:

Creston

I seriously doubt it, yeah. Designing and building a console costs a lot more money than 8.6 million dollars. Microsoft and Sony didn't spend hundreds of millions of dollars for the fun of it, or to prove to the world that they had a bigger e-peen than the other guy.

They spent it because that's what it costs to get a console designed, tested, a manufacturing line put into place, units created, units tested, failures fixed (or, in the case of Microsoft: simply ignored), an initial run created, box designed, shipped to stores/customers, advertisements. And that's just the hardware. Then you have to create dev kits (I guess because this is a pure, barebones android client devs might be able to use dev kits for other android devices, but I'm not sure), allow for time for people to create games for your system, set up a support system to deal with hardware failures, set up a support system to deal with game issues, set up a multiplayer network etc etc etc etc.

They want to do all this for peanuts? Also, where are they going to get profits from? Let's assume this was legit, (giggles) then everyone who donated is going to get one or multiple consoles and there will be zero profit margin on those.

Unless they have more investors lined up that Infinium Labs ever had, these guys are just scamming the shit out of everyone who donated. Which is sad, because it'll put a really big black mark on Kickstarter.

Creston

6. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 9, 2012, 11:09 Yakubs

$8.2mm is WAY, WAY too much money for something like Kickstarter. Remember, there is no contract involved here, whatsoever. There is no legal leg to stand on for the backers. That's enough money to retire on for someone who is smart with money. The guy who created that Kickstarter could just buy a house with no mortgage, kick back, and live on the interest.

And that's not even counting the possibility that they actually try to launch this thing and it fails miserably.

5. Re: Ouya Aug 9, 2012, 10:59 nin

Like any KS, what they promise and what gets delivered could be two radically different things.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

4. Re: Ouya Aug 9, 2012, 10:56 SpectralMeat

Creston

Steam: SpectralMeat

3. Re: Ouya Aug 9, 2012, 10:55 nin

Creston

I wouldn't call it down the drain, but I'm still extremely skeptical...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

2. Ouya Aug 9, 2012, 10:50 Creston

Creston

1. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 9, 2012, 10:28 Linksil

The Halo 4 trailer made me think I was watching a updated UT game trailer.  
Munching On: Archeage, SAO Vita, Tales of Xallia 1/2.

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo