Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Heavy Gear Returning

Stompy Bot Productions and Dream Pod 9 announce a return of the Heavy Gear series of mecha combat games that had a pair of video game releases from Activision back in the 20th century. There's no release date yet, but they say the game is coming to PC, mobile, and consoles. "Dream Pod 9 looks forward to working closely with Stompy Bot Productions in developing the next incarnation of Heavy Gear's 3D video game," says Robert Dubois, President of Dream Pod 9. "Stompy Bot has the drive and talent to bring the world of Heavy Gear® to life for all of our fans and a whole new generation of gamers." The Stompy Bot Website has the first concept art. Missed this last week, thanks nin via Rock, Paper, Shotgun for the reminder.

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 9, 2012, 12:40 Shataan

I remember HG 1 being a more of a rolling type game. In Heavy Gear 2, I piloted the Hunter, and it was jumpjet heaven for me. The Swamp and Derelect near Asteroids space map rocked... the mp demo for HG 2.

But for some odd reason... Activision decided to make the final release of Heavy Gear 2.... TOO heavy. Piloting from the Beta to final release went from feeling natural and 2nd nature... to feeling awkwardly HEAVY. Hard to explain.

I suppose if you were not in the Beta, you wouldn`t be able to make the comparison. Hopefully StompyBot takes suggestions better than Acti did. Cause it would be cool if another Heavy Gear came along.... that rocked.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 9, 2012, 10:46 space captain

awesome...

but with hawken on the way, i was expecting something like this.. maybe not HG specifically tho

Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 9, 2012, 09:28 Lokust

The new mech renaissance continues.  

11. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 9, 2012, 06:26 Prez

Great news, as long as it isn't oversimplified to accommodate consoles or some online free to play abomination.

I loved Heavy Gear 2 - SO awesome.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

10. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 9, 2012, 06:15 Dmitri_M

Loved the HG games. As a Quake player obsessed with speed this was my favorite mech series. Preferred it to Mechwarrior as the bots in HG were smaller and much faster.  

9. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 9, 2012, 03:43 InBlack

Woooot! A resurgence of mech games? Fuck Yeah! Lets hope they make something out of this. Also I liked HG2 well enough, but yes HG1 was somehow better.  

I have a nifty blue line!

8. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 9, 2012, 01:15 .Drifter

sauron wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 21:11:
HG1 was freaking great, but for some reason I never got into the sequel. If they get a remake right, there are a lot of fans out there.

It's a similar situation to Mechwarrior or maybe Tribes, although the current iteration of the latter seems to have hit the nail on the head and the fans love it. Hard to do though.

I also loved the first HG, but not the second. It just felt too different from the first.
That and the fact that the mechs felt more fragile than HG1.
I also vaguely seem to remember my legs getting damaged a lot too, but I might be thinking of another game.
The space combat in multi for HG2 was pretty fun though, at least for a while.

I just wish they'd released the final patch for HG1 officially. They invited a bunch of us to beta it, made you fax in a non disclosure agreement, then sent you a link to a "secret website" where we posted a laundry list of stuff to tweak . . . which was ignored for months, it seemed like, with no interaction from the people making the patch. Then suddenly, poof, no patch.

7. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 8, 2012, 23:21 Suckage

Hehe curious to see how this'll turn out. Rob is a client at my old job where he prints Heavy Gear stuff. Nice guy!  

6. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 8, 2012, 22:40 Wildone

Its gonna be F2P bullshit, just watch  

5. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 8, 2012, 21:49 eunichron

Time to resurrect Artillery Jesus.  

4. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 8, 2012, 21:46 Rea1One

OMG YES!!!!!

I always loved the Heavy Gear series over the Mechwarrior series, as the mechs felt better in combat.

3. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 8, 2012, 21:11 Asmo

WOO FUCKING HOO

DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK DON'T SUCK

Ahem.. One of my favourite settings/styles for mecha combat.

2. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 8, 2012, 21:11 sauron

HG1 was freaking great, but for some reason I never got into the sequel. If they get a remake right, there are a lot of fans out there.

It's a similar situation to Mechwarrior or maybe Tribes, although the current iteration of the latter seems to have hit the nail on the head and the fans love it. Hard to do though.

Kittens!

1. Re: Heavy Gear Returning Aug 8, 2012, 20:49 Shataan

"Stompy Bot has the drive and talent to bring the world of Heavy Gear® to life for all of our fans and a whole new generation of gamers."

This remains to be seen. Activision almost had it right.... till they released Heavy Gear 2.... listened to none of our Beta suggestions... resulting in HG 2 feeling TOO heavy. lol

<SG> Shai`tan

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo