Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Mobilization

View
10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

10. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 9, 2012, 17:30 mag

Ratty wrote on Aug 9, 2012, 10:35:
For a time I was careful to say "data are" in my emails and documentations. Then I decided it was so artificial and a bit pretentious I gave it up. When I come across that construct elsewhere I always find it a bit distracting and that shouldn't happen in things you write.

I also insist on saying "id is" (as in id software) rather than "id are" (or any corporation for that matter). I find that pretentious and distracting too. Plus I note even John Carmack says "id is."

The latter is just a difference between (typical) British English and (typical) American English usage. For American usage, a company is a singular entity. For British usage, a company is a collection of individuals.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_American_and_British_English#Nouns

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 9, 2012, 10:35 Ratty

For a time I was careful to say "data are" in my emails and documentations. Then I decided it was so artificial and a bit pretentious I gave it up. When I come across that construct elsewhere I always find it a bit distracting and that shouldn't happen in things you write.

I also insist on saying "id is" (as in id software) rather than "id are" (or any corporation for that matter). I find that pretentious and distracting too. Plus I note even John Carmack says "id is."

8. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 9, 2012, 07:28 Frags4Fun

What planet are these idiots living on? iOS "may" be the most popular platform of all time? I may be the most popular guy in the world (we all know that isn't true). Are they hitting the bath salts or what?
This article is like the American media where they never come right out and make a claim. Instead, they end their captions with a question mark.

7. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 9, 2012, 06:23 finga

If "information" is singular, "data" is singular.  

6. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 9, 2012, 06:05 Fibrocyte

Spectre-7 wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 20:56:
Regarding the [sic], there are some excellent recent articles on the supposed plural nature of the word data.

The Data Is In, pt. 1

The Data Is In, pt. 2

Its irregularity is entirely artificial, and there’s no purpose for it except a misguided loyalty to the word’s Latin roots.

5. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 9, 2012, 06:02 Ozmodan

funny, never played a game on the phone, yet I play games a lot.

Guess I am more discerning when it comes to the games I play, those on the iphone don't meet my standards.

4. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 8, 2012, 21:27 Beamer

Spectre-7 wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 20:56:
Regarding the [sic], there are some excellent recent articles on the supposed plural nature of the word data.

The Data Is In, pt. 1

The Data Is In, pt. 2

Absolutely a singular noun.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

3. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 8, 2012, 20:56 Spectre-7

The Data Is In, pt. 1

The Data Is In, pt. 2

2. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 8, 2012, 20:47 Parallax Abstraction

I expected better from Ars Technica than cherry-picking stats to have an excuse to write another Apple fellating article. Shame to see Ben Kuchera at Penny Arcade Report (who seems to think himself the saviour of game journalism) judge this article worthy of "The Cut" which are basically articles from other sites that he deems worthy of his higher standards. There's more than a billion Windows PCs right now. If we want to consider anything that can play games as a "gaming platform" (which I think is fair), then it's far and away the most popular, with Facebook following closely behind. Guys, Apple's doing fine without bullshit attempts at free PR from the tech press. Or do you have a quota to meet, lest you not get invited to the next hand-picked press reveal?

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2012, 20:52.

Parallax Abstraction
Geek Bravado | YouTube

1. Re: Evening Mobilization Aug 8, 2012, 20:44 Ratty

sic? Someone feeling just a tad anal-retentive this evening?  

10 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo