Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles

Valve announces plans to add non-gaming applications to Steam saying they are set to launch their first set of "software" (what does that make games?) titles to the service on September 5th:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the first set of Software titles are heading to Steam, marking a major expansion to the platform most commonly known as a leading destination for PC and Mac games.

The Software titles coming to Steam range from creativity to productivity. Many of the launch titles will take advantage of popular Steamworks features, such as easy installation, automatic updating, and the ability to save your work to your personal Steam Cloud space so your files may travel with you.

More Software titles will be added in an ongoing fashion following the September 5th launch, and developers will be welcome to submit Software titles via Steam Greenlight.

"The 40 million gamers frequenting Steam are interested in more than playing games," said Mark Richardson at Valve. "They have told us they would like to have more of their software on Steam, so this expansion is in response to those customer requests."

For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com.

View
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

10. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:41 theyarecomingforyou

El Pit wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 13:38:
Hmmm... Can I have Adobe Creative Suite for 75% off @ Summer/Winter Sale?

Actually, sales like that would probably make those companies a fucking fortune! It might sound like a joke but I expect to see exactly those sort of sales over time.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

9. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:41 MacLeod

El Pit wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 13:38:

LOL. Seriously.

I'm still on CS3, and have to upgrade to CS6 before the next version, since my copy won't be eligible for CS7 upgrade pricing and I'm stalling because I'm dreading dropping that much money on the software.

8. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:41 nin

"The 40 million gamers frequenting Steam are interested in more than playing games," said Mark Richardson at Valve.

Wait, what???

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:40 theyarecomingforyou

I'm surprised they didn't do it sooner, to be perfectly honest. Same with media, from TV shows to music - although obviously they couldn't get away with using DRM for it. I like Steam because I can keep all my programs on a separate drive and when I reinstall Windows all my games are ready to go, minus the short initial config time. If Valve can do that with other apps - from Office to WinRAR - then that would really appeal to me.

I don't know if anyone else has tried the Office 2013 Preview but one of the best features is the integration with SkyDrive. If Valve can do the same with Steam Cloud then that's great.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

6. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:39 PHJF

Wow thanks for the insight, maybe a year from now you can tell me how many creativity/productivity suites I have on Steam as well.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

5. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:38 El Pit

Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

4. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:36 Verno

I can see this being good for the casual folk though I don't have much use for it myself since most software I use has built-in update functionality. The cloud stuff I'm kinda iffy on in general, I don't even use it much for game saves or configs.

I expect this thread to be filled with Blue RAGE!!! lol

The first time it came up most people were surprisingly indifferent although I'm sure Velvet will make an appearance

Its like the driver thing in Steam, neat if you want it but otherwise its just a bullet point feature.

Playing: South Park, Dark Souls 2
Watching: Enemy, Network, Wer

3. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:36 Rattlehead

PHJF wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 13:33:
Sounds like unified DRM
Which you own 127 games on.

2. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:33 PHJF

Sounds like unified DRM  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

1. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:32 Techie714

Steam is now essentially becoming an "app center" for example you will be able to install apps like Evernote, Photoshop, Office, etc. all done through Steam & completely secure. Think of this similar to the Apple App store on a VERY small scale. I could be wrong but that is what I take away from the press release.

I expect this thread to be filled with Blue RAGE!!! lol

Steam (ID)
http://steamcommunity.com/id/techie714/
DEAD SH0T
Keep your privacy!
http://prism-break.org/

90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 5.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo