Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles

Valve announces plans to add non-gaming applications to Steam saying they are set to launch their first set of "software" (what does that make games?) titles to the service on September 5th:

Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (such as Counter-Strike, Half-Life, Left 4 Dead, Portal, and Team Fortress) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced the first set of Software titles are heading to Steam, marking a major expansion to the platform most commonly known as a leading destination for PC and Mac games.

The Software titles coming to Steam range from creativity to productivity. Many of the launch titles will take advantage of popular Steamworks features, such as easy installation, automatic updating, and the ability to save your work to your personal Steam Cloud space so your files may travel with you.

More Software titles will be added in an ongoing fashion following the September 5th launch, and developers will be welcome to submit Software titles via Steam Greenlight.

"The 40 million gamers frequenting Steam are interested in more than playing games," said Mark Richardson at Valve. "They have told us they would like to have more of their software on Steam, so this expansion is in response to those customer requests."

For more information, please visit www.steampowered.com.

View
90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

30. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 15:14 Cutter

I use Open Office when I need to and I don't use Cloud crap. Thanks, but no thanks Valve.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

29. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 15:13 Kajetan

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 14:40:
I can see the convenience, but please Steam, for the love of God, have these non-game programs in a DIFFERENT LIST THAN MY GAMES.
No. You have to endure Winrar directly beside your favourite game. In fact, Steam will force you to scroll to all your apps in your library before you'll see your games!!!

And for one app bought, Steam will delete one of your games randomly!!!

28. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:43 Creston

LurkerLito wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 14:02:
Interesting idea, and it could be very successful given Steam's penetration on the PC.

A 75% off for the Adobe creative suite would rock but I still don't like the idea of everything being tied to steam. They screwed me for almost 2 weeks due to a payment issue on their end combined with Steam's horrid support system. If I had productivity apps tied to steam during that time I needed for work, I would have been screwed. I don't think they can put professional level programs on their service at all without full time 24/7 technical phone support as a bare minimum. These 2.5 day wait times between support emails will not cut it for productivity/mission critical/work related applications. Being unable to play steam games for 2 weeks sucked, but you could lose money/clients/jobs if they wrongfully suspended your Steam account due to an error.

For any kind of support issue, they would just refer you to Adobe or MS or whatever. And any issue with your account, yeah... you'd be screwed.

Creston

27. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:41 Creston

El Pit wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 13:38:
Hmmm... Can I have Adobe Creative Suite for 75% off @ Summer/Winter Sale?

So it'll only be $3900? :p

Creston

26. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:40 Creston

I can see the convenience, but please Steam, for the love of God, have these non-game programs in a DIFFERENT LIST THAN MY GAMES.

Creston

25. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:36 Trevellian

eunichron wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 14:04:
Why?

I can't think of a single piece of software that I have installed that I think, "I'd rather have this on Steam!"

Unless the rumors of Valve making a "Steambox" are true and this is just one more step toward Valve turning Steam into a desktop environment/window manager for Linux.

It has nothing to do with "I'd rather have this on Steam" it has to do with Consumer Convenience, it makes money.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2/Tahyang in ArcheAge

24. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:31 StingingVelvet

Makes sense.

If they sold movies I would probably buy some. I dislike how iTunes limits your number of devices. Of course, DRM free movies you can simply download would be best of all, but for some reason the only people providing that are pirate sites.

23. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:19 Verno

bhcompy wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 14:10:
Indeed, Impulse sold plenty of regular applications, and I'm sure to some success, considering that in the early days it was basically all Stardock applications.

I wonder if Valve has any internally developed applications it would throw up there to increase adoption.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

22. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:12 theyarecomingforyou

LurkerLito wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 14:02:

A 75% off for the Adobe creative suite would rock but I still don't like the idea of everything being tied to steam. They screwed me for almost 2 weeks due to a payment issue on their end combined with Steam's horrid support system. If I had productivity apps tied to steam during that time I needed for work, I would have been screwed. I don't think they can put professional level programs on their service at all without full time 24/7 technical phone support as a bare minimum. These 2.5 day wait times between support emails will not cut it for productivity/mission critical/work related applications.
For all the criticism of EA, they do at least do technical support pretty well. Sure most of the time you're talking to people in India with a poor grasp of the English language but despite that problems are usually resolved pretty quickly. The same cannot be said of Valve. Considering the amount of money that Valve is making with Steam they do really need to improve the service.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

21. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:10 bhcompy

Prez wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 14:06:
Looks like they are doing it opposite the way Stardock did it. For a time Stardock sold just as much software as they did games back before they shipped Galactic Civilzations.

I generally only use free software at home (my employer pays for all of my productivity software for work) so I'm not sure I'll be buying any, but it's a good idea for Steam I think. Though I wonder how many people are going to want to have to have Steam running just to use their software...

Indeed, Impulse sold plenty of regular applications, and I'm sure to some success, considering that in the early days it was basically all Stardock applications.

20. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:09 theyarecomingforyou

My concern is that the Steam DRM will get in the way. With games Steam was an improvement over CD-checks and the increasingly draconian DRM of retail products. However, with applications while they often require activation once you've activated them you never see it again. Sometimes Steam can delay the launch of a game by upwards of ten seconds (in exceptional cases, minutes) and that would get pretty annoying if it was Word or Photoshop.

Valve really needs to address the start-up delay caused by its DRM. Application / game launches should be instant. It also needs to improve its validation system, as too many games fail to launch and require me to manually validate the integrity of the game cache - this is especially true when dual-booting.

I'm all for Valve adding applications to Steam, especially if it brings prices down. But Valve really needs to address some of the core issues with the Steam platform and client.

19. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:06 Prez

Looks like they are doing it opposite the way Stardock did it. For a time Stardock sold just as much software as they did games back before they shipped Galactic Civilzations.

I generally only use free software at home (my employer pays for all of my productivity software for work) so I'm not sure I'll be buying any, but it's a good idea for Steam I think. Though I wonder how many people are going to want to have to have Steam running just to use their software...

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

18. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:04 eunichron

Why?

I can't think of a single piece of software that I have installed that I think, "I'd rather have this on Steam!"

Unless the rumors of Valve making a "Steambox" are true and this is just one more step toward Valve turning Steam into a desktop environment/window manager for Linux.

17. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 14:02 LurkerLito

Interesting idea, and it could be very successful given Steam's penetration on the PC.

A 75% off for the Adobe creative suite would rock but I still don't like the idea of everything being tied to steam. They screwed me for almost 2 weeks due to a payment issue on their end combined with Steam's horrid support system. If I had productivity apps tied to steam during that time I needed for work, I would have been screwed. I don't think they can put professional level programs on their service at all without full time 24/7 technical phone support as a bare minimum. These 2.5 day wait times between support emails will not cut it for productivity/mission critical/work related applications. Being unable to play steam games for 2 weeks sucked, but you could lose money/clients/jobs if they wrongfully suspended your Steam account due to an error.

16. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:57 Jivaro

I welcome it, particularly with Valve apparently starting to focus more energy on multiple platforms. It is probably wishful thinking, but it would be cool if I could license a piece of productivity software and have that license cover PC, Mac, and Linux all at the same time...even if I do have to use the Steam client to take advantage of the license. To me, that is a fair trade. I pay for the software once, they have Steam's DRM etc.

I could also see Workshop being a part of this in terms of plug-ins, templates, etc.

15. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:53 theyarecomingforyou

gradbot wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 13:48:
I hope they let me filter all none game content out.
They might add a check box like they have with DLC, though I imagine it will be shown by default. I'm interested to see how they implement it myself, especially with regards to the library.

The Steam client is in need of a complete overhaul but it's probably expecting too much for them to coincide it with the launch of non-gaming titles, especially when there hasn't been a beta client.

14. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:52 NKD

Steam sales for apps? Yes please.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

13. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:49 Verno

gradbot wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 13:48:

I'm sure the Store will have a section just for apps or whatever and the library will separate them appropriately as well.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Fall, The Walking Dead, Leon

12. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:48 gradbot

11. Re: Steam Adding Non-Gaming Titles Aug 8, 2012, 13:47 Graham

PHJF wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 13:39:
Wow thanks for the insight, maybe a year from now you can tell me how many creativity/productivity suites I have on Steam as well.

He did kind of hypocrisy boom-headshot you. You could have the grace to acknowledge that fact.

90 Replies. 5 pages. Viewing page 4.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo