Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Grid 2 Announced

Codemasters Announces Grid 2, saying a sequel to Race Driver: GRID is in development at Codemasters Racing Studios for release next year for Windows, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. Here is the announcement trailer, here are some screenshots, and here's word:

Codemasters® today announced that GRID® 2™, the long-awaited sequel to the BAFTA-award winning, critically acclaimed Race Driver: GRID™, is in production at Codemasters Racing Studios and set for a 2013 launch for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PLAYSTATION®3 computer entertainment system and PC.

Revealing the first of the game’s new locations, including Chicago and Paris, the debut GRID 2 trailer video is now showing at www.gridgame.com and captures a snapshot of the relentless, high-impact aggressive thrills that lie at the core of GRID 2’s cinematic race experience.

GRID 2 will challenge players to be fast, be first and be famous as they enter a stunning new world of competitive motorsport. In pre-production for two years, GRID 2 is now in full development on the latest evolution of the award-winning EGO Game Technology Platform. Following the success of GRID, which set new standards for damage, AI, visuals and introduced the Flashback time rewind feature - now adopted by many racing games – GRID 2 will again raise the gameplay and technological bar for motorsport gaming and remain true to the series’ core value – it’s all about the race.

“GRID’s back and we’re going to make street, track and road racing exciting again,” said Clive Moody, Executive Producer. “The core design philosophy for GRID 2 is that we treat the race as a character, not a consequence of simply putting cars on tracks. Everything that goes into the game impacts on that second-to-second, in the moment, blockbuster drama – the feel and personality of the race.”

“We’re pushing boundaries once again with what can be accomplished in the genre via new tools, technology and innovations. In single-player, split-screen and online, the next-generation of the EGO Game Technology Platform will power graphics, AI, handling and damage advancements that will immerse players in the racing experience like never before. Like its predecessor, GRID 2 will put the sheer thrill and adrenaline rush of the race at the heart of the experience. It’s what we call Total Race Day Immersion.”

In an expansive career mode, players will experience aggressive wheel-to-wheel racing against advanced AI where each spectacular race unfolds with cinematic immersion. Building on the handling model from GRID, the new TrueFeel Handling System will use real physics to hit a sweetspot between accessibility and simulation and deliver handling that is approachable yet challenging to master.

Going behind the wheel of a handpicked selection of automotive icons spanning four decades and three continents – USA, Europe and Asia – players will race their way to the top of a new, evolving world of motorsport. From Paris to Abu Dhabi, Miami to the sun-kissed California coast and beyond, beautifully created city streets, licensed circuits and edge-of-control mountain roads will become home to the most visceral and exhilarating races in games.

GRID 2 will also set new standards for a racing multiplayer experience with an entirely distinct and extensive gameplay component and unique progression system. Deep customisation options and integration with RaceNet* – the online community portal for Codemasters Racing games which tracks player’s races, rewards and rivals – will offer further immersion and connectivity in GRID 2’s new world of motorsport.

Fans can keep up with all the latest updates straight from the studio by speeding over to www.gridgame.com and www.facebook.com/gridgame or follow the team at www.twitter.com/gridgame.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

15. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 12:47 jdreyer

InBlack wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:14:
GRID was a kickass game. Perfect mix of simulation and arcade. Too bad I sold my G25 Racing Wheel....

You know, I never was able to get my Thrustmaster wheel to work with the game, so I haven't played it much. It works fine with Dirt 2, however.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 12:23 SpectralMeat

Yeah hopefully they will leave the Ken Block ass kissing out of Grid. I really hated that tone in Dirt also.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

13. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 12:17 ochentay4

I just hope they drop the inmature tone that DiRT2, DiRT3 and DiRT Showdown have. GRID/DiRT can be arcade, attractive, and mature all at the same time.

"HI I'M KEN BLOCK AND THIS IS COLIN MCRAE"
WTF? Shut the fuck up and let me play!

I really loved DiRT 1 and GRID. I enjoyed DiRT 2 but hated the inmature theme, and couldnt cope DiRT3/Showdown despite having them on Steam and paying almost full price. They are nice games though.

12. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 11:43 MONSTER ZERO

I always drive Bumper Cam (where the car is not visible), when playing driving sims. Lets me get a better depth perception sense going into turns.
I was a big Codemasters TOCA fan at the time. GRID was ok, not bad, but somehow different than what i liked in the TOCA series. I might pick this one up

11. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 11:22 yuastnav

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:43:
wtf_man wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:18:
Before you all get too excited...

There's no cockpit / driver view in this one.

Just FYI.

I always drove from a 3rd person perspective anyway, so that doesn't bother me. I know purists will argue that you're not really "doing it right" unless you drive from a cockpit view, but games just never get the cockpit view right. Instead of making you feel like you're behind the driving wheel, to me it always feels like you're instead sitting in the middle of the back-seat.

Creston

Driving in the cockpit view would only make sense if you were to play a real simulator with wheel and everything and Grid is more of an arcade game so there's nothing wrong with the third person view.
Though that is just my opinion.

10. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 10:43 Creston

Just FYI.

I always drove from a 3rd person perspective anyway, so that doesn't bother me. I know purists will argue that you're not really "doing it right" unless you drive from a cockpit view, but games just never get the cockpit view right. Instead of making you feel like you're behind the driving wheel, to me it always feels like you're instead sitting in the middle of the back-seat.

Creston

9. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 10:41 Creston

I really enjoyed the original Grid, played it for yonks. I remember finishing second to that top team by like 200,000 dollars for a season (they made 36 million, and I had 35.8 million. ARGH!) and after that I didn't feel like trying another one.

And driving Le Mans was just crazy, especially at night. Never could win that race in the highest diff. You'd make one tiny mistake and boom, four guys would pass you by.

But it was a really awesome racer, and power sliding the 358 BOSS around a track was probably the best driving 'feel' of any race game I'd ever played.

I think I'll definitely get the second one.

Creston

8. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 10:36 nin

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:22:

Just FYI.
I've always used the bonnet camera view anyways. The cockpit view in Dirt3 gives me headache and you can't see shit anyways. I don't remember if Grid1 had cockpit view.

That's mildly disappointing, but I agree with SM - it's probably the last camera view I'd use, due to reduced visibility.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

7. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 10:32 Elf Shot The Food

Just FYI.

I never used the driver view, so...

6. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 10:22 SpectralMeat

Just FYI.
I've always used the bonnet camera view anyways. The cockpit view in Dirt3 gives me headache and you can't see shit anyways. I don't remember if Grid1 had cockpit view.

5. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 10:18 wtf_man

Just FYI.

4. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 10:14 InBlack

GRID was a kickass game. Perfect mix of simulation and arcade. Too bad I sold my G25 Racing Wheel....  

I have a nifty blue line!

3. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 10:09 SpectralMeat

You have to try demo derby, I put more time into that then playing the main game. The difficulty did get frustrating later on in the game (single player) but overall it was a great game, and I am really excited for the sequel. Hope Codies won't fuck it up.  

2. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 10:07 nin

I still have the first one in my steam queue, when I grabbed it for like $5 awhile back. I remember the demo being fun, though.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: Grid 2 Announced Aug 8, 2012, 10:01 SpectralMeat

YES!!!  

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo