Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Morning Consolidation

View
28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

28. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 9, 2012, 07:04 Dades

xornand wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 20:20:
Why not switch to PC?
I'm tired of these faggoty ass consoles dictating the direction of games.
Middlefinger

You are worthless.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

27. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 23:57 netnerd85

NKD wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 14:27:
Better than being shackled to a 7 year old hardware platform I suppose.
They will be using out-dated hardware in the "next-gen". Got to keep those costs down!

26. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 23:55 netnerd85

xornand wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 20:20:
Why not switch to PC?
I'm tired of these faggoty ass consoles dictating the direction of games.
Middlefinger
Nothing wrong with a "faggoty ass"

As for consoles. There have been many must play console games for gamers in the past such as Goldeneye and Banjo Kazooie.

Consoles have their place but it's not the same place/gaming space as the PC, I agree. Cross-platform needs to go.

25. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 22:59 Jerykk

Creston wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 14:38:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 12:44:
It will be interesting to see how Thief 4 turns out. No big publisher is going to fund a pure stealth game these days. That's why Deus Ex, Hitman, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, Ghost Recon, etc, all let you shoot your way through if you want. I suspect Thief 4 will make combat a much more viable option than in the previous games.

If you still CAN stealth your way through the entire game, what does it matter?

It doesn't matter much to me because I sneak by default. However, a lot of people will always take the path of least resistance, so if a game lets them run 'n gun (or run 'n arrow in this case), that's exactly what they'll do. Thief is, at its heart, a game about stealing. Garrett isn't an elite assassin, spy or soldier. He's a thief. As such, it doesn't really make any sense for him to be competent in combat. Also, if fighting is a viable option, then there isn't much consequence for getting caught, which makes sneaking far less intense unless you actually care about ghosting.

24. removed Aug 8, 2012, 20:20 xornand

* REMOVED *
This comment was deleted on Aug 9, 2012, 08:42.

23. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 19:38 SimplyMonk

MajorD wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 19:11:
Longjocks wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 18:34:
"THI4F"... What's a thiaf?

HAHAHA! Yeah, it is a stretch isn't it. It would have worked for Thief 3 (Thi3f), but Thi4f....not so much! Thumbsdown

It's better than "Army of T|||O: Devil's Cartel" at least.

22. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 19:11 MajorD

Longjocks wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 18:34:

HAHAHA! Yeah, it is a stretch isn't it. It would have worked for Thief 3 (Thi3f), but Thi4f....not so much! Thumbsdown

21. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 18:34 Longjocks

20. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 16:03 Luke

Qbex . wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 11:24:
take your time, make it good, been waiting for this since thief 2 - 12 years so I can wait a bit more

Just like duke nukem forever , diasco 3 ! time is not everything

19. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 14:38 Creston

It will be interesting to see how Thief 4 turns out. No big publisher is going to fund a pure stealth game these days. That's why Deus Ex, Hitman, Splinter Cell, Metal Gear, Ghost Recon, etc, all let you shoot your way through if you want. I suspect Thief 4 will make combat a much more viable option than in the previous games.

If you still CAN stealth your way through the entire game, what does it matter?

18. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 14:27 NKD

Better than being shackled to a 7 year old hardware platform I suppose.  

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

17. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 13:23 Cutter

I could care less so as long as it's done right design-wise and done right for the PC.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

16. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 13:06 NetHead

It will be interesting to see how Thief 4 turns out. No big publisher is going to fund a pure stealth game these days.....I suspect Thief 4 will make combat a much more viable option than in the previous games.

I wouldn't be all that surprised if that happens, these days they happily change a franchise, pretty much always for the worse, just to make it appeal to more people.

While it could be argued that being able to complete a game in more ways is a good thing I feel having action combat as an option to go through a thief game would ruin it, even if it's only an option.

Thief is about sneaking, getting trapped in a dark corner hoping no one finds you because if they do you're screwed is part of the atmosphere, the theme and style. Removing that by simply making combat and alternative would remove any feelings of desperation, suspense or hopelessness followed by relief when they don't find you rather than "blasting" your way out.

As for them waiting for the "next gen" consoles to release it doesn't make any sense whatsoever, this it the usual "next gen" nonsensical speculation that always flies around even before anything worthwhile is known about what is coming.

15. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 13:04 Verno

I'm not sure the next gen will really usher in anything in terms of level design at least. There is such an emphasis on visual pizazz when it comes to moving console hardware/software that many devs can't ignore it. This console gen has stretched on long enough now that people have become accustomed to this sort of design - small levels with high production values in the style of movie experiences or whatever.

Oh well, at least the few open world games will benefit.

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

14. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 12:57 jdreyer

I think the first gen of next gen console games will be designed for the 360 and ported to the 720. The first wave of titles won't take advantage of the power of the new hardware.  

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

13. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 12:44 Jerykk

12. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 12:43 Creston

nin wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 11:31:
All i want is confirmation that the people that did HR are doing another one. It still amazes me how good it turned out, and I'm dying for more...

Yeah, same here. I've done three playthroughs of DX:HR, and I'm probably doing a fourth sometime soon. I NEEDS ME SOME FRESH LEVELS!

Creston

11. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 12:19 eRe4s3r

That's what happens when you think CVG is a news site, it's not.

1) Thief 4 is not switched (been in development 4 years now!) comes 2013 and no next-gen console comes 2013
2) The next game is switched likely new DX off-spin or the like

10. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 11:31 nin

I think they said that they'd do Thief 4 first, then go back for another DX?

I thought I'd read they were separate teams, but I'm not positive. And it wouldn't surprise me that if one teams falls behind that people get pulled from the other (esp if the next DX game is only in the concept stage).

All i want is confirmation that the people that did HR are doing another one. It still amazes me how good it turned out, and I'm dying for more...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

9. Re: Morning Consolidation Aug 8, 2012, 11:24 Qbex .

take your time, make it good, been waiting for this since thief 2 - 12 years so I can wait a bit more  

28 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo