Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Over the weekend we discovered the proposed nearby Five Guys restaurant opened its doors, finally giving me the chance to try one of these burgers I've heard so much raving about. The burger was certainly better than other fast food joints, and the fries were outstanding: This certainly makes up for the loss of the one nearby Fatburger, and is closer than that was to boot. They get high marks for using fresh ingredients, as well as for cooking everything, including the fries, to order, as there's no way to replicate that with heat lamps on pre-cooked food.

Fresh Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Planet Juicer.
Sota 2.
Stories: Northeast sees warmest year on record so far.
Joss Whedon to Write, Direct The Avengers Sequel. Thanks nin.
Media: Rescue of Morpheus - Matrix Source Film Maker.
Cat with fixed head position.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

6. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 10:34 nin

Ugh, I've always hated White Castle. Those nasty little overcooked sliders and the soggy bun. They are shit even fresh off the grill.

There's that, and that I'm not wild about onions...

Well to agree with the post below yours, the best burgers I have are the ones I make myself: It's not even close.

Btw, to augment the recipe he mentions, the meat needs to be seasoned before cooking.

My father was a burger fiend, but he never did seasoning (so while they were ok, they never were outstanding). Might have been why a home cooked burger doesn't really appeal to me, years later.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 10:32 RoboNerd

Surprised no one has mentioned the free in-the-shell peanuts you get to munch on at Five Guys...and you will only make the mistake of ordering large fries once.  

4. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 10:26 Ecthelion

We have Five Guys all over VA, and they're excellent. There's a trendy Washington DC burger place run by some chef who was on one of those reality cooking shows, but in my experience it's about the same quality for a higher price. Anyway, Five Guys (around here at least) is only a little pricier than McDonald's, and you actually get something delicious for a change.  

3. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 10:21  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:06:
Love to have a 5 Guys or Fatburger here. The one time I tried a White Castle while traveling, I wasn't overly impressed.

Ugh, I've always hated White Castle. Those nasty little overcooked sliders and the soggy bun. They are shit even fresh off the grill.

Basically, if you want a good burger here, you end up going to a mom and pop place (Ron's, Fat Guys). And that's not a bad thing at all (yea for local business!), but I would like more variety.

Well to agree with the post below yours, the best burgers I have are the ones I make myself: It's not even close.

Btw, to augment the recipe he mentions, the meat needs to be seasoned before cooking. Chef

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

2. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 10:06 nin

Lot of chain burger joints we don't have here in OK. We have Fuddruckers, which is ok (at best), and we have Steak and Shake (again, ok).

Love to have a 5 Guys or Fatburger here. The one time I tried a White Castle while traveling, I wasn't overly impressed.

Basically, if you want a good burger here, you end up going to a mom and pop place (Ron's, Fat Guys). And that's not a bad thing at all (yea for local business!), but I would like more variety.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

1. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 10:03 The Pyro

Can't say I've ever had a restaurant burger that was as tasty as a good home-grilled burger. I'm sure somebody does it right, of course, I just haven't found such an establishment yet.

I like 'em without any additives whatsoever. Just slap yer 80/20 beef patty on the grill, use direct high heat, and flip it when it starts to sweat on top. When done correctly you get a deliciously juicy burger with a wonderful beef flavor; over-cooking the meat even a little bit tends to dry it out and suck out the flavor.

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo