Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Over the weekend we discovered the proposed nearby Five Guys restaurant opened its doors, finally giving me the chance to try one of these burgers I've heard so much raving about. The burger was certainly better than other fast food joints, and the fries were outstanding: This certainly makes up for the loss of the one nearby Fatburger, and is closer than that was to boot. They get high marks for using fresh ingredients, as well as for cooking everything, including the fries, to order, as there's no way to replicate that with heat lamps on pre-cooked food.

Fresh Links: Thanks Ant and Acleacius.
Play: Planet Juicer.
Sota 2.
Stories: Northeast sees warmest year on record so far.
Joss Whedon to Write, Direct The Avengers Sequel. Thanks nin.
Media: Rescue of Morpheus - Matrix Source Film Maker.
Cat with fixed head position.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

26. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 13:45 Jivaro

Verno wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 13:16:
Haha sounds like my girlfriend. She drowns everything in ketchup, the first time I made burgers I just stared in disbelief as she used up a solid fifth of the bottle on two small patties. It's a British thing I swear, her father does it too.

I can't give my step-daughter too much crap about it though, as I use mayo on quite a few things that many Americans don't normally use it for. Hot dogs, french fries, and even rotisserie chicken...as well as Brussels sprouts and broccoli. I don't drown it like her kids do with their ketchup though. I swear, it looks like whatever their eating is just hemorrhaging ketchup all over the place. The funny part is that the first time I cooked for them and they did it...I found myself feeling a bit offended. The only thing I ever put that much ketchup on was my mother's meatloaf..and that was to hide it's horrible taste. I thought they were doing the same thing. It was only later that it was explained to me that their household goes through 2 or 3 bottles of the stuff A WEEK.

The pizza+ketchup thing reminded me of something else...I eat pizza with a fork and knife. I am not sure where I picked it up from, as I traveled quite a bit when I was younger, but I can't remember not doing it. When I lived in Denmark my friends used to make fun of me for it. Note: I am talking about pizza in general. I realize some types, particularly those awesome Chicago deep dish pies, might require some cutlery.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 13:38 nin

They just opened a location in Crystal City, actually.

I mean no offense, but Crystal City sounds like something out of an 80s Saturday morning cartoon.

If it makes you feel any better Tulsa (where I'm at) spelled backwards is A SLUT.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

24. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 13:37 mch

Ecthelion wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 13:25:
No, it's called Good Stuff Eatery. It's next door to a pizza place called We The Pizza that's actually pretty good (and run by the same people).

Ahh, I know the place. They just opened a location in Crystal City, actually.

PSN: CaseDesignate

23. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 13:28 Cutter

Up in Toronto here over the last several years we've seen a deluge of high-end burger bars - a ridiculous amount of them to be sure. Most are pretty meh IMO, but there are a few that really do a seriously effing good burger. There's a Five Guys up the road for me and whilst they're ok I'm far from impressed.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

22. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 13:25 Ecthelion

mch wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:59:
Ecthelion wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:26:
We have Five Guys all over VA, and they're excellent. There's a trendy Washington DC burger place run by some chef who was on one of those reality cooking shows, but in my experience it's about the same quality for a higher price. Anyway, Five Guys (around here at least) is only a little pricier than McDonald's, and you actually get something delicious for a change.

MD/DC/VA native here...are you talking about BGR? I've had it once and wasn't really impressed.

My office recently moved from the Clarendon, VA area (Five Guys right next door) to the Crystal City area and Five Guys is probably the thing I miss the most.
No, it's called Good Stuff Eatery. It's next door to a pizza place called We The Pizza that's actually pretty good (and run by the same people). It's not that Good Stuff is bad, it's just that I can get the same experience without going into DC (and a bit cheaper) by eating at Five Guys. Sure, they have more exotic ingredients and spices, but I always get something simple anyway, so to me it's a similar experience with bigger crowds and a bigger tab.

Unfortunately I'm the only person in my household that ever eats any kind of meat from a cow, so grilling burgers myself seems like a waste of time. I don't have the patience for cooking anyway... e.g. if the wife leaves me in charge of stirring something, it ends up being burned because I'll stir it, go play a game, and come back. I love good food and appreciate the work that goes into it but I'm not interested in doing so myself. I think home-cooked burgers probably have the potential to be better, but it's not something I'll ever discover for myself. To me, places like Five Guys are where it's at.

Verno wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 13:16:
Haha sounds like my girlfriend. She drowns everything in ketchup, the first time I made burgers I just stared in disbelief as she used up a solid fifth of the bottle on two small patties. It's a British thing I swear, her father does it too.
If you think that's weird, get a load of this. In Thailand they put ketchup on pizza! I once had to explain to my wife (who is originally from Thailand) that ketchup was not the same as tomato sauce. Thankfully she knows better than to commit that sacrilege now.

21. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 13:18 scratz

IN-n-Out is madly overrated.

Five Guys is madly underrated.

/opinion

20. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 13:16 Verno

Jivaro wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 13:06:
I also belong to the "home cooked is the best" crowd...but I disagree on the seasoning bit. I don't add a thing to my burgers before grilling...choosing instead to let the toppings being the flavors added. To me, the natural taste is the best way to go. There are obviously seasonings that taste good, just not as good as "natural", in my opinion anyway.

Yeah, I find onions, mushrooms and other things do plenty for taste so I don't really add anything else. Sometimes some ground pepper since I love it. I don't have anything against burger joints, I just haven't really been to one that blew me away before. It's usually decent but otherwise unremarkable. Contrast that to doing steak and its a different story, I've had steaks so good that I have trouble doing my own at home now because I can't get them just like a particular restaurant did. I swear they cheat with suppliers and snipe the good quality meat.

In my family, some people prefer the sauteed mushrooms and onions with cheese, some prefer the bacon and avocado, and then there is my step-daughter who seems to believe that if your hamburger consists of anything other then bread, meat, and half a bottle of ketchup you are doing it wrong. (I blame her mother...all of her kids think ketchup is a food group)

Playing: Divinity Original Sin, Infamous Second Son, Madden
Watching: Spartan, Possible Worlds, The Changeling

19. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 13:06 Jivaro

I also belong to the "home cooked is the best" crowd...but I disagree on the seasoning bit. I don't add a thing to my burgers before grilling...choosing instead to let the toppings being the flavors added. To me, the natural taste is the best way to go. There are obviously seasonings that taste good, just not as good as "natural", in my opinion anyway.

In my family, some people prefer the sauteed mushrooms and onions with cheese, some prefer the bacon and avocado, and then there is my step-daughter who seems to believe that if your hamburger consists of anything other then bread, meat, and half a bottle of ketchup you are doing it wrong. (I blame her mother...all of her kids think ketchup is a food group) The only thing I can get them to agree on is that the burger meat itself must not be touched by anything other then flames prior to being served. I personally do a double patty with sauteed mushrooms, grilled onions, bacon, mozzarella cheese, dill pickle, lettuce, and mayo on either sourdough bread or a kaiser roll. I prefer steak fries or tater tots as my side dish. A bottle of beer is usually standard as well.

When it comes to eating a burger out I have discovered two things. First, the places that probably couldn't pass a health inspection without bribery are generally making the best tasting burgers. Disgusting, but true. Second, if I am going into a true sitdown place to eat...breweries have a natural edge on everybody else when it comes to burgers. Beer and burgers are a natural partnership.

I have also found that Hard Rock cafes have excellent burgers...which can be a much appreciated break from the local food when on vacation.

18. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 12:53 PropheT

We have a Five Guys here, but I wasn't too impressed with them I guess. We have two local mom & pop places that have better burgers, and the fries at one of them would be interchangeable with Five Guys'. I've heard that they're better elsewhere, though, so I think it's just this one store for whatever reason.

Best I've had is at a bar in the podunk little town where I went to high school. Was over visiting a friend there and we went in, and they had the most badass burger I've ever had...don't even know the name of the place :p

17. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 12:20 dardin

We have both Five Guys and In-N-Out burger here. I find both of them to be excellent and have not eaten at any other burger chains since they opened. Ideally if I could have my way I would take Five Guys burger and combine it with In-N-Out's fries.

This comment was edited on Aug 8, 2012, 12:46.

16. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 12:20 necrosis

We have Five Guys all over VA, and they're excellent. There's a trendy Washington DC burger place run by some chef who was on one of those reality cooking shows, but in my experience it's about the same quality for a higher price. Anyway, Five Guys (around here at least) is only a little pricier than McDonald's, and you actually get something delicious for a change.
Near me (Towson, MD) there is a Five Guys right next to a McDonald's. Across the street from a Burger King too.

15. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 12:18 xXBatmanXx

Blue wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:38:
nin wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:34:
My father was a burger fiend, but he never did seasoning. Might have been why a home cooked burger doesn't really appeal to me, years later.

There's a myth that home cooks are stuck on that salting meat before cooking it draws moisture to the surface to be evaporated away. This leads to a lot of them cooking meat without seasoning it first, which is a crippling error right off the bat.

I actually set my meat out long before I cook it. I like to season it then let it sit in the open air and get to room temp.

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad

14. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 12:13 Hyatus

Five Guys is damned good for fast food burgers. Of course they aren't as good as home-cooked burgers. Do you really think a teenager can make a burger better than you? That's not really the point.

Their fries aren't very good, imo. I'd rather just eat peanuts. But, grilled onions are a huge win in my book. I wish there was one closer than an hour away from me, but that's probably for the better as I'm fat enough as it is.

I still prefer Red Robin for chain restaurant burgers, though(just not for the price).

13. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 11:37 nin

and Smashburger

I forgot about them. They moved in here a few years ago. They're not bad. Their smashchicken is fucking TASTY!

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

12. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 11:34 Baudkarma

We've had a burger invasion here in DFW the past year or so. In 'n Out, 5 Guys, and Smashburger have all opened stores just a mile or two from where I live. Del Taco as well, but alas the Ortega Burger is long gone. I thought 5 Guys was quite good, In 'n Out rather disappointing, and have yet to try Smash. None of them have knocked Whataburger off my #1 spot, though.

Meanwhile, Trader Joes is opening up across the street in about a month. That should be another interesting experience.

I am not a man! I am a free number!

11. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 11:29 Herzog

I like Five Guys - it's another option to grilling your own.  

10. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 11:18 Rattlehead

oh god Five Guys...there is one 5 minutes from my house by every time I pass it I get a chubby and I've only eaten there twice. yea, they are that good.  

9. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 10:59 mch

MD/DC/VA native here...are you talking about BGR? I've had it once and wasn't really impressed.

My office recently moved from the Clarendon, VA area (Five Guys right next door) to the Crystal City area and Five Guys is probably the thing I miss the most.

PSN: CaseDesignate

8. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 10:49 Creston

The burger was certainly better than other fast food joints

I can practically taste the "I grill better burgers myself than any joint in the US" disdain here, Blue.

Which is exactly how I feel about getting a burger in a restaurant/fast food place somewhere.

creston

7. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 8, 2012, 10:38  Blue 

nin wrote on Aug 8, 2012, 10:34:
My father was a burger fiend, but he never did seasoning. Might have been why a home cooked burger doesn't really appeal to me, years later.

There's a myth that home cooks are stuck on that salting meat before cooking it draws moisture to the surface to be evaporated away. This leads to a lot of them cooking meat without seasoning it first, which is a crippling error right off the bat.

Stephen "Blue" Heaslip
Blue's News Publisher, Editor-in-Chief, El Presidente for Life

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo