Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Standalone DayZ Coming

This blog post announces plans for a standalone version of the DayZ zombie modification for Arma II, something that was first mentioned just a month ago. Here's word:

That’s right, this is actually happening - DayZ will be developed as a standalone game, with me as project lead, by Bohemia Interactive. This is the fairy-tale outcome for a mod that many would have said impossible four months ago.

Development and updates of the mod will continue in parallel with the development of the game, so anyone who is playing the mod now will be able to continue to do so. The project will follow the Minecraft development model; fast iterations with the community alpha available for a heavily discounted price.

I realize people will have many, many questions - but we wanted to let everyone know the announcement now. Over the coming weeks, these questions will be answered. The game will have it’s own site, www.dayzgame.com and the mod will continue at it’s present link.

“Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.” - Winston Churchill

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

49. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 8, 2012, 02:48 Mordecai Walfish

Rattlehead wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 14:34:
..also one of my favorite mods since Pirates Vikings and Knights II(which is long dead). Glad to see a full game is being made out of this. Things can only go up from here.

I too am a long-time fan of PVK2, but I still play it regularly, with hopes that it will someday get the attention it deserves.

It always boggled my mind that something so fun and free over steam didn't catch on more than it did.. but I think that primarily has to do with advertising/exposure.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

48. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 23:45 Kalthorn

PHJF wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 18:08:
OK, you and the fifty other people on the planet who swear by ARMAII are absolutely right.

Arma II is not a shitty game by any means. It's just terribly made. Bug-filled, horrible performance, terrible convoluted control scheme, and bad animations.

Ummmm that's my definition of a shitty-ass game. What standards do you go by?

I think Rattlehead meant that gameplay is the standard. Settlers of Catan is a good game regardless of the quality of the materials used to play it. The interactions encouraged and afforded by the rules are what make it good.

I've never owned or played Arma2 or DayZ, I'm just saying a lot of the problems mentioned are sort of meta, not so much the game but the buy-able product. Like if Settlers was sold with rocks and twigs as game pieces.

Control schemes though, that is definitely gameplay and kinda unforgivable.

47. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 23:22 RailWizard

Closed Betas wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 22:34:
but you must report them... Know how to get their GID, once database banned, their copy of Arma is toast on DayZ forever.

They can hijack and spoof GID's...I really don't think they are going to be able to crawl out from under the amount of fucked that they are.

I have also yet to hear them say that "Arma III won't have these probs cuz we did it different."

46. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 22:34 Closed Betas

jacobvandy wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 20:21:
Yep, that's exactly why I've stopped playing lately. It's bad enough having to be wary of trigger-happy players 95% of the time you spend playing, but the increasing likelihood that you will be insta-killed, crippled, teleported, or otherwise fucked with at literally any time is just too much.

Lots of hackers just make themselves completely invisible now... I ran into one who chatted with me a bit, and when I went to move along and go about my business, he turned me into a zombie and left me helpless as I attacked him a few times (I'm sure he was invulnerable, too) and then killed me.

Thank god I had already decided at that point that I wasn't going to take the game seriously anymore, like really try to find good gear and survive as long as possible, because to meet a stupid death like that at random would be completely unbearable. Can't imagine the frustration some players feel when they lose a full set of choice gear falling victim to some jackass who gets off on trolling others in a damn video game...

It's become so rampant, that I bet around half of ALL players have at least one item that was just spawned into the game on a whim, whether directly into their inventory by oddly generous hackers or found on the bodies or ground leftover from some script-kiddy's joyride. You know I've seen a boat, a drive-able water vehicle, on top of the control tower at an airfield? I'd like to know where the hell the admins are on these servers, because of a lot of it's blatant like that. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the admins are ones doing the hacking, or else exploiting what tools they have to achieve similar effects.

I hear you, its all caused by the publishers of games not banning people on their end.. Now its out of hand as they are not afraid. But you can perm ban these guys, but you must report them... Know how to get their GID, once database banned, their copy of Arma is toast on DayZ forever.

45. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 21:26 space captain

but but but!!

ZOMBIES!!!!!!

PHJF wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 18:08:
Ummmm

you really like saying that dont you

should throw a OMG! in for good measure

Go forth, and kill!

44. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 20:21 jacobvandy

Yep, that's exactly why I've stopped playing lately. It's bad enough having to be wary of trigger-happy players 95% of the time you spend playing, but the increasing likelihood that you will be insta-killed, crippled, teleported, or otherwise fucked with at literally any time is just too much.

Lots of hackers just make themselves completely invisible now... I ran into one who chatted with me a bit, and when I went to move along and go about my business, he turned me into a zombie and left me helpless as I attacked him a few times (I'm sure he was invulnerable, too) and then killed me.

Thank god I had already decided at that point that I wasn't going to take the game seriously anymore, like really try to find good gear and survive as long as possible, because to meet a stupid death like that at random would be completely unbearable. Can't imagine the frustration some players feel when they lose a full set of choice gear falling victim to some jackass who gets off on trolling others in a damn video game...

It's become so rampant, that I bet around half of ALL players have at least one item that was just spawned into the game on a whim, whether directly into their inventory by oddly generous hackers or found on the bodies or ground leftover from some script-kiddy's joyride. You know I've seen a boat, a drive-able water vehicle, on top of the control tower at an airfield? I'd like to know where the hell the admins are on these servers, because of a lot of it's blatant like that. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the admins are ones doing the hacking, or else exploiting what tools they have to achieve similar effects.

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2012, 20:27.

43. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 19:14 Kosumo

I've had a great time with Dayz (mod) but the last 2 days I played both ended with hackers teleporting around killing players - very sad.

Not much point in playing where you can be kill at anytime by a 13 year old hacking.

Server pops are dropping fast over last week since the influx of new players since sales - due to it atracting hackers.

Wish it never got this main stream.

I can see why hackers would like it due to they get great fun out of ruining things for others, and when you can cheat and kill those who have worked for 5 days on their charactors, well, it's a greifers wet dream.

42. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 18:11 Muscular Beaver

Its a PC game made by an Indie developer. What do you expect? It isnt as polished at EA titles, but has at least 300% more gameplay than EA games and 10000% more support. It is one of the very few real PC games.

Shack Tactical movies also show how to properly use TrackIR, which makes the controls so much better.

And for the 1000th time: ArmA is no simple shooter. It is more realistic, and thus you cant swing around like in Unreal Tournament and switch between 20 weapons in just 5 ms.
If you dont like it, go back playing your generic shooters!

This comment was edited on Aug 7, 2012, 18:19.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

41. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 18:08 PHJF

OK, you and the fifty other people on the planet who swear by ARMAII are absolutely right.

Arma II is not a shitty game by any means. It's just terribly made. Bug-filled, horrible performance, terrible convoluted control scheme, and bad animations.

Ummmm that's my definition of a shitty-ass game. What standards do you go by?

Steam + PSN: PHJF

40. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 17:59 Rattlehead

Muscular Beaver wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 17:54:
PHJF wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 14:44:
The standalone is sounding like an option for people who don't want to waste money on shitty-ass ARMAII just to play DayZ.

For people who really think that ArmA 2 is shitty, I recommend the Shack Tactical videos on Youtube. If after that you will still say the same, you should just go back to your shitty console port crap and never ever be as audacious again and criticize PC games.

39. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 17:54 Muscular Beaver

PHJF wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 14:44:
The standalone is sounding like an option for people who don't want to waste money on shitty-ass ARMAII just to play DayZ.

For people who really think that ArmA 2 is shitty, I recommend the Shack Tactical videos on Youtube. If after that you will still say the same, you should just go back to your shitty console port crap and never ever be as audacious again and criticize PC games.

- Mojo Jojo

38. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 17:49 Muscular Beaver

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 15:09:
PC gamers are about adventurous today as..console gamers. Ya'll deserve the current state of gaming you're always whinging about.

The PC guys back in 2002 who refused to play OFP because it was too "quirky" went on to migrate exclusively to consoles and call the cover shooter trend and regenerating health "progress". Ten years on not much has changed.

Cant put it any better.

- Mojo Jojo

37. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 16:55 AngelicPenguin

LittleMe wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 14:48:
It's like they don't really care.

Bit of a stretch you think?

36. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 16:51 RailWizard

More maps. Less hacking. That's all I really care about.

It would be nice if the pk crazed douchebags would fuck off, but at least I can shoot them if I want, and I do.

Somehow though, and maybe this is just my multi-decades of game playing talking, I don't think this will stop the hacks. It may stop non-dayz weapons and vehicles from being spawned in, but that's just one little part of what's going on. If they turn scripting completely 'off', then maybe, but I have doubts.

35. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 16:33 Wallshadows

I came across this while I was browsing in boredom.

That didn't take long...

34. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 16:24 PropheT

Darks wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 10:59:
Can we say, milk it. The only reason they are doing a stand alone is so they can sell it. So in the end, everyone will end up just playing the mod instead of spending money on the game again!

THIS JUST IN: Video game companies make games to sell them, film at 11.

Now over to Frank for the weather.

33. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 16:06 Fletch

Darks wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 10:59:
Can we say, milk it. The only reason they are doing a stand alone is so they can sell it. So in the end, everyone will end up just playing the mod instead of spending money on the game again!

Oh, puh-lease! You had to buy Arma II to play it anyway. Now, you won't. If you already own Arma II, you won't have to buy the stand-alone. If you already owned Arma II before DayZ came out, then you have nothing to bitch about. And there are a shitload of PC gamers who never bought, or don't have any desire to buy, Arma II. I'm one of them, and I'm looking forward to the stand-alone.

WTF is wrong with you people? Bitch about lack of PC FPS's and then you have to find something to cry about when one is announced. If you don't want to buy it, don't. Heaven forbid they actually make any money trying to appease you idiots.

32. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 15:53 theyarecomingforyou

DayZ is a half-assed mod on a half-assed engine. The only plus from this is that people won't have to buy a crappy game that they have no interest in just to play a mod.  

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

31. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 15:09 Dmitri_M

PC gamers are about adventurous today as..console gamers. Ya'll deserve the current state of gaming you're always whinging about.

The PC guys back in 2002 who refused to play OFP because it was too "quirky" went on to migrate exclusively to consoles and call the cover shooter trend and regenerating health "progress". Ten years on not much has changed.

30. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 14:48 LittleMe

Smooth Gravy wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 11:06:
Did they fix load times and hacking yet? Haven't bothered playing after being sucked to a location and killed two days in a row.

Load and connect times are better but not great. The hacking is worse. It's very bad right now. The player counts have dropped in the past week or two and I think this is the cause. And BiS seems oblivious to it. It's like they don't really care.

I guess they'll -eventually- get around to fixing many of the exploits.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo