Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Standalone DayZ Coming

This blog post announces plans for a standalone version of the DayZ zombie modification for Arma II, something that was first mentioned just a month ago. Here's word:

Thatís right, this is actually happening - DayZ will be developed as a standalone game, with me as project lead, by Bohemia Interactive. This is the fairy-tale outcome for a mod that many would have said impossible four months ago.

Development and updates of the mod will continue in parallel with the development of the game, so anyone who is playing the mod now will be able to continue to do so. The project will follow the Minecraft development model; fast iterations with the community alpha available for a heavily discounted price.

I realize people will have many, many questions - but we wanted to let everyone know the announcement now. Over the coming weeks, these questions will be answered. The game will have itís own site, www.dayzgame.com and the mod will continue at itís present link.

ďNow this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end, but it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.Ē - Winston Churchill

View
49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

9. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 11:20 MajorD

Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 11:00:
Darks wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 10:59:
Can we say, milk it. The only reason they are doing a stand alone is so they can sell it. So in the end, everyone will end up just playing the mod instead of spending money on the game again!

Well, yeah, of course someone is giving him money to make a new version in hopes that it makes more money, but it will hopefully free it from the burden that is Arma 2 and make for a much better game.

And people sticking with the mod will be annoyed by the lack of support...

Good point(s).

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 11:20 Burrito of Peace

SpectralMeat wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 11:17:
Smooth Gravy wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 11:06:
The load time is atrocious, but maybe that is something on my end, although all my buddies seem to have the same issue. It was a fun game until these issues.
I think the load times are ArmA2 issues not the mod. I believe load times will be much improved if you have the game on an SSD.

Why stop there? Why not go balls out and load it from a RAID 0 array of SSDs?

7. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 11:17 SpectralMeat

Smooth Gravy wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 11:06:
The load time is atrocious, but maybe that is something on my end, although all my buddies seem to have the same issue. It was a fun game until these issues.
I think the load times are ArmA2 issues not the mod. I believe load times will be much improved if you have the game on an SSD.

Steam: SpectralMeat

6. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 11:06 Smooth Gravy

Did they fix load times and hacking yet? Haven't bothered playing after being sucked to a location and killed two days in a row. The load time is atrocious, but maybe that is something on my end, although all my buddies seem to have the same issue. It was a fun game until these issues.  

5. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 11:00 Beamer

Darks wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 10:59:
Can we say, milk it. The only reason they are doing a stand alone is so they can sell it. So in the end, everyone will end up just playing the mod instead of spending money on the game again!

Well, yeah, of course someone is giving him money to make a new version in hopes that it makes more money, but it will hopefully free it from the burden that is Arma 2 and make for a much better game.

And people sticking with the mod will be annoyed by the lack of support...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

4. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 11:00 Linksil

Maybe they'll make the stand alone (at least the test ones) free for those that have Arma 2. Or if you have a Arma code it will work for the dayz... since it's the same engine.  
Munching On: Warframe, Final Fantasy 6, Tales of Xallia, Saints Row 4.

3. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 10:59 Darks

Creator of the Neverwnter Nights Eye of the Beholder Series of Mods.

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=6375

2. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 10:57 SpectralMeat

Sucks for those who bought ArmA2 just to play the mod. I am pretty sure the updates and amount of work goes into the mod will drastically change ones the standalone alpha is out.  

Steam: SpectralMeat

1. Re: Standalone DayZ Coming Aug 7, 2012, 10:43 MajorD

HHHMMMMMMMMMM....... Thinking

49 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo