Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

THQ Results: InSane Cancelled

THQ's Fiscal 2013 First Quarter Results are online, revealing losses for the period, albeit not as large as projected. Still the new is not good, and is followed by the worse news from a post-earnings conference call that the company has cancelled preproduction of InSane, a high profile collaboration with Guillermo del Toro, saying the rights to the property are being returned to the Hollywood director. "We have decided not to pursue further pre-production on Insane, and have returned all of our IP rights to Guillermo del Toro," said THQ president Jason Rubin. "By canceling these explorations outside of our core business, we feel we can improve focus on our core game portfolio, which remains unchanged." This prompted George Broussard to tweet: "THQ is done. Will just be a year or so going through the paces. Will see how Darkstalker 2 team fares post ship."

View
47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

47. Re: Out of the Blue Aug 10, 2012, 00:54 Rigs

Dades wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 19:33:
Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 11:06:
Oh the irony.

Oh the irony!

Oh, the irony.

Wait, what? I lost track! Do it again!

=-Rigs-=

'We talked about peace! You didn't want peace. We talked about cooperation! You didn't WANT cooperation. You WANT war! Is that it? You want a war? Well, you've GOT a war!'
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

46. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 22:54 Beamer

Sepharo wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 21:48:
InBlack wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 04:12:
Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 21:47:
zombiefan wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 21:21:
Crash and burn, you greedy fucks. Can't wait for the thread about their closure.

Those "greedy fucks" have mostly been ousted (likely not the board) and replaced with a guy that has given endless talks about the value of employee time and how looking out for employees first makes for better games.

Let's hope he fails and never gets to incorporate that thinking into another publisher!

Er, what? Yeah God forbid a company exec actually gives two shits about the company employees....

Sometimes I think Beamer jumped forward in time from the 1950's (he sounds like a good McCarthy snitch) or from 15th century Spain....

Very obvious sarcasm was apparently not obvious enough.

I suppose "endless" is what caused some people to miss, but it wasn't meant as "this guy will never shut up" so much as "this guy really, really believes this and isn't just casually mentioning it."

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

45. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 22:50 Jerykk

Jack9 wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 21:50:
I am curious to see how well the South Park game does, especially with the $60 price tag. The series isn't exactly at the peak of its popularity and given the game's relatively low production values, $60 might seem too steep for most consumers.

The fact you state it as a possibility is mind numbing. Nobody wants to pay $60 to see southpark. Period. Popular game franchises with amazing tech behind them have trouble with sequels (Prototype) and I don't see Simpson games breaking records (well...not since the multiplayer Simpsons Arcade brawler). It's just silly to put a novelty theme game at $60 nowadays unless they release it at a magical point where there's nothing else to choose from. Hell I've never heard of this Southpark one-off and I rather throw my money away on a game I'll probably never play like a HL3 preorder or Mechwarrior online.

The game itself looks pretty good. Definitely seems to live up to the show. However, whether or not its worth $60 is another matter entirely.

44. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 21:50 Jack9

I am curious to see how well the South Park game does, especially with the $60 price tag. The series isn't exactly at the peak of its popularity and given the game's relatively low production values, $60 might seem too steep for most consumers.

The fact you state it as a possibility is mind numbing. Nobody wants to pay $60 to see southpark. Period. Popular game franchises with amazing tech behind them have trouble with sequels (Prototype) and I don't see Simpson games breaking records (well...not since the multiplayer Simpsons Arcade brawler). It's just silly to put a novelty theme game at $60 nowadays unless they release it at a magical point where there's nothing else to choose from. Hell I've never heard of this Southpark one-off and I rather throw my money away on a game I'll probably never play like a HL3 preorder or Mechwarrior online.

43. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 21:48 Sepharo

Crash and burn, you greedy fucks. Can't wait for the thread about their closure.

Those "greedy fucks" have mostly been ousted (likely not the board) and replaced with a guy that has given endless talks about the value of employee time and how looking out for employees first makes for better games.

Let's hope he fails and never gets to incorporate that thinking into another publisher!

Er, what? Yeah God forbid a company exec actually gives two shits about the company employees....

Sometimes I think Beamer jumped forward in time from the 1950's (he sounds like a good McCarthy snitch) or from 15th century Spain....

Very obvious sarcasm was apparently not obvious enough.

42. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 19:33 Dades

Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 11:06:
Oh the irony.

Oh, the irony.

41. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 18:36 killer_roach

Fantaz wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 05:35:
Probably Company of Heroes 2 should keep them alive for a while, unless they fail with that one.

I think it's more likely that CoH2 will be the final nail in their coffin, sadly.

40. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 11:16 ItBurn

nin wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 10:47:
Apparently Saint's Row was good, but I haven't played it.

You should really check it out. It's frequently on sale (either last weekend or the one before it was like $17 somewhere...) and it's a blast to play.

I already got it from a steam sale for ridiculously cheap. But I have like 20-30 other games that I haven't played. I know myself tho and I usually get bored really quickly of games that are too silly.

39. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 11:06 Beamer

Dades wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 07:12:
Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 06:42:
Sometimes I think you fail to comprehend basic posts?

Oh the irony.

Oh the irony!

-------------

38. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 10:47 nin

Apparently Saint's Row was good, but I haven't played it.

You should really check it out. It's frequently on sale (either last weekend or the one before it was like $17 somewhere...) and it's a blast to play.

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

37. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 10:39 ItBurn

Just a comment on THQ's games in general. None of them excite me. Darksiders was OK. Apparently Saint's Row was good, but I haven't played it. They completely killed Red Faction for me after the first one. I loathed Guerila. What a bore fest. Maybe Metro is good, but I don't feel compelled to try it. I have zero interest in all their other games... I'm not sure what's their public, but they could have kept my faith if they'd still be working on a Titan Quest.  

36. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 10:08 Creston

Jerykk wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 03:04:
I wouldn't include Red Faction. After the flop that was Armageddon, THQ said that they were basically killing the franchise.

More evidence of THQ's excellent management. Hey, we got a great game in Guerilla, and fans want more of that. Instead, let's just do a Red Faction-themed Dead Space! It should sell like fucking hotcakes!

Annnnddddd.... it didn't. WHODATHUNKIT?

Morons. I'd gladly buy another RF:Guerilla game.

Creston

35. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 08:59 MacLeod

Honestly, ignoring the games industry side of it, it doesn't suprise me that a collaboration with Guillermo del Toro got cancelled... that guy announces so many projects that never get to production, I've just started ignoring anything with his name until I see a full trailer.  

34. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 08:33 Verno

Prez wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 04:38:
I'm still pulling for THQ - fantastic company which has produced some fantastic games. I'd much prefer to see incompetent idiot George Broussard go away. STFU George, and keep your irrelevant, valueless opinions to yourself.

Yeah I'm confused why anyone gives a shit what George Broussard thinks about a totally random situation he has no involvement in. I guess his experience in sinking well established companies?

Playing: Shadow of Mordor, Peggle 2, TIE Fighter
Watching: Capturing the Friedmans, The Jungle, Person of Interest

33. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 07:12 Dades

Beamer wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 06:42:

Oh the irony.

32. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 06:42 Beamer

-------------

31. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 05:35 Fantaz

killer_roach wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 04:58:
I'm still pulling for THQ - fantastic company which has produced some fantastic games. I'd much prefer to see incompetent idiot George Broussard go away. STFU George, and keep your irrelevant, valueless opinions to yourself.

Too bad THQ has seemed hellbent on running themselves into the ground the last few years.

Probably Company of Heroes 2 should keep them alive for a while, unless they fail with that one.

30. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 04:58 killer_roach

Too bad THQ has seemed hellbent on running themselves into the ground the last few years.

29. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 04:55 Fantaz

THQ needs to stop the movie tie-in games before it kills them. Either that, or make good games using licenses.  

28. Re: THQ Results: InSane Cancelled Aug 7, 2012, 04:38 Prez

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mahatma Gandhi

47 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo