Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

etc., etc.

View
9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

9. Re: etc., etc. Aug 7, 2012, 08:39 xXBatmanXx

Mr. Tact wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 07:20:
Only $10,000? I was hoping to see a story on someone doing $100,000 in sales...

Story tomorrow will read:

"Player that we reported to make 10k in sales on D3 now audited by IRS"

In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. / Few men have virtue enough to withstand the highest bidder.
Playing: New dad
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

8. Re: etc., etc. Aug 7, 2012, 07:20 Mr. Tact

Only $10,000? I was hoping to see a story on someone doing $100,000 in sales...  
Truth is brutal. Prepare for pain.

7. Re: etc., etc. Aug 7, 2012, 06:28 Ray Ban

jdreyer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 21:51:
Curiosity is so cool. I hope it gives us as much as Spirit and Opportunity did.

Now, if we could just make a robot that could survive the climate of Venus...

Speaking of Venus: Jack Houston and The Necronauts

"The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!"

6. Re: etc., etc. Aug 7, 2012, 00:50 eRe4s3r

Mhh, I guess you are right. I just expect too much from underfunded space agencies I guess.  

5. Re: etc., etc. Aug 7, 2012, 00:42 jdreyer

eRe4s3r wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 23:01:
Who says we can't, but what you want on Venus?

Anyway, I gotta hand it to the Nasa (I am more of a ESA guy as you can imagine ,p) this landing move was extremely cool. It is the future, no, it is the first real landing of a drone. The others all crash landed and hoped to survive the impact somehow. That ain't even space exploration, that's just throwing shit at planets and hoping something still functions afterwards!

But things that confused me with a superb mission like that, it could have done a lot more for space exploration
1) why the heck did they crash their sky-crane if it still had fuel reserves, dual use anyone?
2) why didn't they plan it out so the sky-crane can do maintenance and lifting work (ie, has replacement solar panels, wheels and assorted as well as a robotic arm that can do said work) and can ferry the drone to somewhere else later (extending the mission capabilities by factor 2 or 3)
3) why aren't these drones using real power sources?
4) Didn't they ever think that future mars missions might have good use for the sky-crane if they had designed it properly?

1. As I understand it, there was only just enough fuel to do what it did and no more.

2. That mission would have required much more fuel than they carried. Any extra fuel means the rover itself must be proportionally smaller.

3. Curiosity is using a real power source: plutonium dioxide. As it decays, the heat is converted into electricity by thermocouples to charge the batteries. It should provide Curiosity with years of power and not have the solar panel issues that plagued previous rovers.

4. As previously mentioned: out of scope. Add that capability would have taken functionality away from Curiosity.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

4. Re: etc., etc. Aug 6, 2012, 23:16 Sepharo

Despite how complicated the operation appears to be, they try to keep it as simple as possible. Your suggestions for the sky crane are extremely complicated.  

3. Re: etc., etc. Aug 6, 2012, 23:01 eRe4s3r

Who says we can't, but what you want on Venus?

Anyway, I gotta hand it to the Nasa (I am more of a ESA guy as you can imagine ,p) this landing move was extremely cool. It is the future, no, it is the first real landing of a drone. The others all crash landed and hoped to survive the impact somehow. That ain't even space exploration, that's just throwing shit at planets and hoping something still functions afterwards!

But things that confused me with a superb mission like that, it could have done a lot more for space exploration
1) why the heck did they crash their sky-crane if it still had fuel reserves, dual use anyone?
2) why didn't they plan it out so the sky-crane can do maintenance and lifting work (ie, has replacement solar panels, wheels and assorted as well as a robotic arm that can do said work) and can ferry the drone to somewhere else later (extending the mission capabilities by factor 2 or 3)
3) why aren't these drones using real power sources?
4) Didn't they ever think that future mars missions might have good use for the sky-crane if they had designed it properly?

2. Re: etc., etc. Aug 6, 2012, 21:57 nin

It really is astounding we can fling something that far, get it to land with no damage, and then communicate with it and collect data once it gets there.

It's also astounding we're not giving them more money, but that's a whole other argument.

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/

1. Re: etc., etc. Aug 6, 2012, 21:51 jdreyer

Curiosity is so cool. I hope it gives us as much as Spirit and Opportunity did.

Now, if we could just make a robot that could survive the climate of Venus...

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

9 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo