Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed?

Kotaku offers a screenshot from the Ubisoft forums that they think may be a shot from an upcoming Prince of Persia reboot. They speculate that it suggests a black prince in an Egyptian setting. Or that it's a fake. They note these seem to line up with some other mysterious screenshots posted a few months ago on NeoGAF.

View
21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

21. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 7, 2012, 13:28 Eirikrautha

space captain wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:10:
panbient wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:54:
I always thought The Sands of Time was the reboot for the franchise. Is this a reboot of a reboot? Are we already to the point of crossing that line?

considering the original was made for Apple IIe, it was already a reboot of a reboot.. so they already crossed that line

why is any of this surprising? everything is being rebooted now, especially movies

its because people are fucking worthless .. they have nothing original to add, they just want to leech off the cash cows other people created.. its happening more and more because the only thing they are concerned with is making a buck.. thats it..

so let em bow down before the almighty dollar.. let it replace everything inside them

they deserve it

I'd argue that there are three (primary) reasons for the reboot phenomenon.

One, modern intellectual property rights have gotten so borked that it is almost impossible to innovate. Many really great ideas in the past have come from doing something new or different with an older idea (you mentioned King Arthur, which is a good example). Disney has made billions doing that. The problem is, now that copyright is nearly infinite (and every time Mickey comes up for reversion to public domain, the bought-and-paid-for politicians expand it farther), just about any "new" idea will be close enough to someone else's idea that you have to worry about being sued for it. So big conglomerates endlessly cycle through the old ideas that they know they own.

Two, since almost all of the (American) entertainment outlets are owned by FIVE multi-national corporations, there is so much money involved that the suits who run things are afraid of risks. Better to rehash something that has made money in the past (CallOfDuty 15) than to risk innovating and losing 150 million dollars.

Three, culturally, we are no longer a society of innovators. The entire Western world (US, GB, Europe) has become risk averse to the point where we cannot innovate. When a large portion of the population expects the government to provide for them from cradle to grave, what is the incentive to excel? To experiment? To try something new? At least half of the population of the Western world aren't citizens... they're f'ing PETS.

Look at the response to the Mars rover that just landed. Every story I read had about 50% of the comments expressing stuff like "Why are we wasting 2.5 billion dollars on that? Why not spend that money on the people here?" Yeah, let's spend it on $2.5 billion worth of EBT cards, so that all the welfare queens can squirt out another 3 brats with no chance of being raised to be a productive citizen or a benefit to society. I'd rather burn the $2.5 bil!

A society is either expanding or contracting. Period. There is no historical example of a static culture. Ever. If we are not pushing the frontiers, then we are looking inwards and collapsing. And we have very few frontier-pushers in Western society any more, whether in space or in video games...

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

20. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 20:02 Flatline

deqer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:19:
Wouldn't a reboot be a reboot of the original side-scroller style game?

Ever since Prince of Persia went 3D with that abomination release "Prince of Persia 3D", the franchise has not been the same since.

Sure, Sands of Time may have been a good game, but that's not the real Prince of Persia. Sands of Time is just another game with the name "Prince of Persia" in it.

If they want to reboot Prince of Persia, they should be rebooting the original, in 3D while maintaining the same perspective view as the original--which is side view--side scroller; not first-person view.

Fail.

Which they already did years ago. I have it on XBLA.

19. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 17:05 Beamer

space captain wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 17:00:
Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 16:54:
I don't think it's exactly different, but any post about an old game always gets a "I wish someone would remake that exactly, only with modern graphics" and now that Kickstarter is around you get "I wish someone would kickstart a remake of that, only with modern graphics." Any time LucasArts is in the news you're guaranteed a few people make these statements.

thats not "rebooting".. thats repainting.. if all the content is the same except graphics, its not a reboot - its "updated".. its the same game with newer graphics

but anyways, i dont ask for shit like that .. i can enjoy old games as they are

IMO, reboots are bullshit - of course everyone is free to do as they like and think whatever they want, as am i

Most people don't, it's just a loud minority that say/request stupid things. And occasionally get them and hate them.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

18. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 17:00 space captain

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 16:54:
I don't think it's exactly different, but any post about an old game always gets a "I wish someone would remake that exactly, only with modern graphics" and now that Kickstarter is around you get "I wish someone would kickstart a remake of that, only with modern graphics." Any time LucasArts is in the news you're guaranteed a few people make these statements.

thats not "rebooting".. thats repainting.. if all the content is the same except graphics, its not a reboot - its "updated".. its the same game with newer graphics

but anyways, i dont ask for shit like that .. i can enjoy old games as they are

IMO, reboots are bullshit - of course everyone is free to do as they like and think whatever they want, as am i

Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 16:54 Beamer

space captain wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 16:40:
its like beamers idea that its different if its "indie" or whatever, and no thats not the case at all.. its flat across the board - if you are a slave to the past, you are a slave to the past, period... if you understand the past, you know how to move forward without clinging to it like some kind of security blanket

-------------

16. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 16:43 Quboid

deqer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:57:
Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:48:
In what way is Sands of Time not the real Prince of Persia?

In every single way except maybe the part about jumping and climbing?

Sands of Time is a totally different game. It's not even Prince of Persia. It just has "Prince of Persia" in the title.

So what would be a real Prince of Persia game? Do you not expect them to mix it up a bit?

- Quboid

15. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 16:40 space captain

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 16:26:
Alternative less cynical version: things like Batman are modern fables, strong stories that last generations and are continually reinterpreted because they are important to society and modern fables.

Prince of Persia would be on a list of such things within video gaming.

not really man, if you are talking about the common tropes of prose and so forth, thats already been around for thousands of years... the synthesis of new arrangements is most common, but some people actually do manage to break new ground.. even if it doesnt become part of historic record because people cant digest it because its not the same premade bullshit they've been force-fed for their whole life

how many times was King Arthur rebooted? doesnt matter because its still the same bullshit at the core

its like beamers idea that its different if its "indie" or whatever, and no thats not the case at all.. its flat across the board - if you are a slave to the past, you are a slave to the past, period... if you understand the past, you know how to move forward without clinging to it like some kind of security blanket

Go forth, and kill!

14. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 16:26 StingingVelvet

why is any of this surprising? everything is being rebooted now, especially movies

its because people are fucking worthless .. they have nothing original to add, they just want to leech off the cash cows other people created.. its happening more and more because the only thing they are concerned with is making a buck.. thats it..

so let em bow down before the almighty dollar.. let it replace everything inside them

they deserve it

Alternative less cynical version: things like Batman are modern fables, strong stories that last generations and are continually reinterpreted because they are important to society and modern fables.

Prince of Persia would be on a list of such things within video gaming.

13. I AM THE GOD OF REALITY Aug 6, 2012, 16:16 space captain

we should definitely check with this guy before we assume anything is real  
Go forth, and kill!

12. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 14:57 deqer

Quboid wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:48:

In every single way except maybe the part about jumping and climbing?

Sands of Time is a totally different game. It's not even Prince of Persia. It just has "Prince of Persia" in the title.

11. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 14:48 Quboid

deqer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:19:

Ever since Prince of Persia went 3D with that abomination release "Prince of Persia 3D", the franchise has not been the same since.

Sure, Sands of Time may have been a good game, but that's not the real Prince of Persia. Sands of Time is just another game with the name "Prince of Persia" in it.

If they want to reboot Prince of Persia, they should be rebooting the original, in 3D while maintaining the same perspective view as the original--which is side view--side scroller; not first-person view.

Fail.

- Quboid

10. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 14:42 space captain

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 13:22:
Reboot by a major publisher: booo
Reboot on kickstarter: yay

what are you referring to

there arent any reboots on kickstarter that i know of

Go forth, and kill!

9. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 14:28 Trevellian

Rea1One wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 10:54:
Sux they didn't go back to the Prince of Persia (2008) game, luv the cel-shading style from that game.

This.

I actually enjoyed this Prince of Persia more than any of the Sands of Time Trilogy and was super disappointed they never returned to it. Still pisses me off.

For the Republic
-C22 Waterson of Planetside 2

8. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 13:22 Beamer

I always thought The Sands of Time was the reboot for the franchise. Is this a reboot of a reboot? Are we already to the point of crossing that line?

considering the original was made for Apple IIe, it was already a reboot of a reboot.. so they already crossed that line

they deserve it

Reboot by a major publisher: booo
Reboot on kickstarter: yay

-------------

7. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 13:19 deqer

Fail.

6. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 13:10 space captain

they deserve it

Go forth, and kill!

5. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 12:04 deqer

Rebooting old games and adding DRM on them. Cool...  

4. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 11:54 panbient

3. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 11:32 baltar

I don't think its a Prince of Persia game. It is probably using the same engine as Prince of Persia though, which explains the text at the bottom, but why call it Prince of Persia when the game does not take place in Persia??

I guess when it comes down to Ubi, anything's possible.

2. Re: Prince of Persia Reboot Revealed? Aug 6, 2012, 10:54 Rea1One

Sux they didn't go back to the Prince of Persia (2008) game, luv the cel-shading style from that game.  

21 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo