Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Source 2 Engine Hint

There are bits of code in Valve's Source Filmmaker suggesting plans are in place for a next version of Valve's Source engine. Here's an example: ""Return an str with the current engine version. If key doesn't doesn't [sic] exist, assume 'Source', otherwise invalid -- assume next-gen 'Source 2'." Thanks Valvetime.net via Eurogamer.

View
35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

35. Re: Source 2 Engine Gravity Aug 7, 2012, 13:46 The Pyro

I suspect it's difficult to get grenades to feel right because human characters are modeled on a different scale than level geometry. Different scales are used in order to cope with the rigid player collision boxes that are used when moving around the level; if characters were modeled to the same scale as the environment then players would constantly be getting stuck on small obstacles and in doorways.

So either the gravity will feel wrong relative to level geometry or it will feel wrong relative to the character model sizes.

FYI, in HL2 I believe the gravity is roughly 50 ft/s relative to character models or 37.5 ft/s relative to level geometry. That's higher than "real" gravity in both cases, but high gravity values are pretty common in FPS games.

Also consider that the grenades themselves are usually modeled larger than life in order to make them more visible at small screen resolutions. The larger grenade models will visually give the impression of lower gravity, as your mind is subconsciously assuming the wrong size for the grenade.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

34. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 7, 2012, 06:43 Beamer

Fantaz wrote on Aug 7, 2012, 04:57:
I just hope that Source 2 blows away Unreal Engine 4 in the graphics department.

Why?

You know that is about 0% of a factor into which engine developers license, right?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

33. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 7, 2012, 04:57 Fantaz

I just hope that Source 2 blows away Unreal Engine 4 in the graphics department.  

32. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 22:38 Hump

Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 17:22:
Hump wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 17:15:
This isn't surprising since Episode 3 will be the last of the series. peoples expectations will be very high so a new engine upgrade will be in order.

I doubt they'll be able top the stunning E3 demonstration for Source/HL2
but Valve isnt known for doing anything half-assed so Im sure it'll be impressive.

E3, assuming there's even an E3 and not a HL3, will be the last of the series?

or the end of that particular story arc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

31. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 20:32 rist3903

One way or another whatever they are working on next will likely play well with Linux.  

30. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 17:27 Dmitri_M

A minor snippet of info related to something Valve is immediately twisted into HL3 EPISODE3 IT'S COMING FINALLY WOOHOO. In this instance it doesn't even mention the HL series. Nuts.  

29. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 17:25 bhcompy

Mordecai Walfish wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 16:48:

I think it's beyond just the engine similarities. Design choices were made that accentuated this 'floaty' feeling. Take grenades for example, those seemed incredibly jank in HL2 and just flew around with this overly cheap anti-gravity feeling.

Which is actually no different than the way that the GL worked in Quake or TF way back in the day, or how player thrown nades worked in TF. It's not so much "similarity" as "this engine is based on that actual code and has evolved over time from there", which, if I recall, is the same way UE is developed.

28. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 17:22 Beamer

Hump wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 17:15:
This isn't surprising since Episode 3 will be the last of the series. peoples expectations will be very high so a new engine upgrade will be in order.

but Valve isnt known for doing anything half-assed so Im sure it'll be impressive.

E3, assuming there's even an E3 and not a HL3, will be the last of the series?

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

27. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 17:15 Hump

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

26. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 16:48 Mordecai Walfish

bhcompy wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 14:24:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 12:02:
Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:57:
Frijoles wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:55:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:41:
Never could understand why anyone gave a shit about that engine.

Facial animations. Still spectacular after so many years.

Low poly but fantastic texture handling (leading to fantastic textures), great physics, great animations, and amazing eyes.

Yeah, the low poly worlds are starting to look bad, but that engine lasted a very long time with little up-keep due to the textures and animations.

It was a fairly spectacular engine for anyone that wanted to run well on a very wide range of PCs. That's common now, but wasn't back in 2004.

Fair enough point on facial animations, I dunno I always kinda found the physics to feel really floaty and gimicky but maybe that's just me.

Because it's based on Quake and Quake 2(Quake 2 was super floaty). Doesn't bother me at all. I disable bob anyways.

I think it's beyond just the engine similarities. Design choices were made that accentuated this 'floaty' feeling. Take grenades for example, those seemed incredibly jank in HL2 and just flew around with this overly cheap anti-gravity feeling.

25. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 14:37 Undead Scottsman

Frijoles wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:12:
Reddit keeps saying that Valve call any game post-L4D Source 2 and that this could be nothing.

Really? This article, released post Portal 2, indicates that Valve doesn't consider that to be the case
“[We] just update [Source] – not just replace it,” he said. “At some point we may say there’s Source 2 or whatever, but really for us there’s been a pretty easy way to keep it and understanding the tools. When you replace an engine, you’re replacing the tools and the way that people work, there’s an expense in man hours and people learning and people getting up on it right.”
Link

24. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 14:24 bhcompy

RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 12:02:
Beamer wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:57:
Frijoles wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:55:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:41:
Never could understand why anyone gave a shit about that engine.

Facial animations. Still spectacular after so many years.

Low poly but fantastic texture handling (leading to fantastic textures), great physics, great animations, and amazing eyes.

Yeah, the low poly worlds are starting to look bad, but that engine lasted a very long time with little up-keep due to the textures and animations.

It was a fairly spectacular engine for anyone that wanted to run well on a very wide range of PCs. That's common now, but wasn't back in 2004.

Fair enough point on facial animations, I dunno I always kinda found the physics to feel really floaty and gimicky but maybe that's just me.

Because it's based on Quake and Quake 2(Quake 2 was super floaty). Doesn't bother me at all. I disable bob anyways.

23. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 14:13 Matshock

Honestly, Portal 2 pissed me off- I know I'm in short company there but it was thoroughly consolized and only half as good as it could have easily been. Great story, mediocre game. The dated engine contributed to this I'm sure.

I would pay $30.00 to go see a combined P/P2 three hour movie and pee in a zip lock bag to make sure I don't miss anything but I'm actually considering watching the next Valve FPS on Youtube instead of buying it.

22. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 14:12 Prez

The lengths Valve fans go to to get any bit of new info. I guess they have no other recourse since Valve says very little about anything these days.  

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

21. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 14:01 rist3903

Please Valve, do not throttle the performance of this engine to make it work well on consoles.

20. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 13:28 NewMaxx

Creston wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 11:24:
Will Source 2 finally get rid of the ridiculous "LOADING" segment every 20 seconds?

LOL! That's likely because the Source engine was modeled after computer source code: lots of small files that allowed for precision tailoring, and thus efficiency/performance, but meant frequent loading times on mechanical drives. SSD 4k performance and low latency will solve this problem. Well, assuming Source 2 accounts for that transition, as with the original Source it was seen as a trade-off (kind of like how compression trades off CPU time and memory for space/HDD time).

19. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 13:28 Sugarman

Anyone ever notice how Mr. White from Breaking Bad resembles Gordon Freeman while he's wearing his meth making gear? Wonder if the directors are HL fans.

[url=]www.kotaku.com.au/2011/06/does-breaking-bad-now-star-video-games-lost-hero/[/url]

Apparently my url linking prowess has failed me today.

This comment was edited on Aug 6, 2012, 13:40.

18. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 12:52 space captain

it needs to support fully destructible environments if they want to remain current  
Go forth, and kill!

17. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 12:39 Silicon Avatar

jimnms wrote on Aug 6, 2012, 10:46:
Does this mean that the Black Mesa Source Team is going to start over?

Dude. Nice.

Apply a fresh bandage to the burn.

16. Re: Source 2 Engine Hint Aug 6, 2012, 12:30 zombiefan

In other news, Valve to use Gordon Freeman as protagonist again!  

35 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo