Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Sunday Tech Bits

View
19. Re: Sunday Tech Bits Aug 5, 2012, 22:15 Panickd

yuastnav wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 19:08:
Panickd wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 18:01:
[...]
More like "Linux peoplez don't buy software that isn't free-as-in-beer."

The zealots do more to kill Linux adoption among the mainstream than anything else. It gets tiring having to tell them "I don't give a fuck I just want something that works" while they are trying to preach at you while simultaneously solving your issue in the most condescending way possible. The whole Linux ecosystem would be much healthier without all the "bible thumper"-like mentality.

Uh-huh. And how did you come to that conclusion? Maybe there are studies that were made that you'd like to share or otherwise reputable sources that prove that indeed all or most people who use Linux would never want to pay for software and are also all the other stuff that you try to label them as.
Linux "just works" as much as Windows does. Hell, I've actually had more issues with Windows 7 than with Debian because that thing is so bloody cumbersome to use. But that is anecdotal evidence and therefore not worth much.
From what I have seen the current Ubuntu is gaudy enough and "just works".

Much as I'd love to argue semantics with you I think the fact that Redhat had to turn it's desktop version into a community based project and focus on the server market before they could make any real money says it all. Look at all the other distros that never took that path that aren't around today.

Linux is insanely reliable and easy to get up and running right up until it isn't at which point it becomes aggravating and mystifying because if only that "one thing" would work properly it would be perfect. There are a lot of those "one thing" issues out there, especially in the hardware realm.

And I stand by the zealot statement: install what you want on your machine and stick entirely to open source if that's what gets you off but I don't need to hear about how I shouldn't be installing the Nvidia drivers on my machine because they aren't open. There is far too much of that crap in the Linux world and all it does is scare off people who were just looking for a new OS, not a new religion.

And for the record, I am an OS agnostic. I use Windows (by necessity), MacOS and Linux on an almost daily basis.

Previous Post Next Post Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Date Subject Author
  1. Aug 5, 16:03 Re: Sunday Tech Bits Cutter
  2. Aug 5, 16:13 Re: Sunday Tech Bits DangerDog
  23. Aug 6, 05:01  Upcoming blues news headline TheVocalMinority
  24. Aug 6, 05:53   Re: Upcoming blues news headline InBlack
  25. Aug 6, 06:14    Re: Upcoming blues news headline yuastnav
  3. Aug 5, 16:23 Re: Sunday Tech Bits yuastnav
  4. Aug 5, 16:30  Re: Sunday Tech Bits NKD
  6. Aug 5, 17:05   Re: Sunday Tech Bits Matshock
  7. Aug 5, 17:55    Re: Sunday Tech Bits Kitkoan
  9. Aug 5, 18:10     Re: Sunday Tech Bits space captain