Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Blood Revival Proposed

A post on The Postmortem by Jason Hall poses a question to the Blood community about the possibility of bringing back Blood in its original form for PCs as well as new platforms for the old-school first-person shooter (thanks Gamer's Hell via Evil Avatar). Here's word on this from the former Monolith CEO and King of Teh MONSTARS:

Hello,

My name is Jason (Jace) Hall and some of you may know of me.

I have been contemplating the idea bringing Blood back and was wondering how people might feel about it or if they were interested in helping me to do it.

To be clear, I am thinking of bringing the ORIGINAL Blood game back as it was, with functionality alterations/enhancements that are similar but superior to ZDAEMON's. I would also make it work on all platforms, and not just PC. There are other things as well...

I have a very specific vision in mind for what I'd like to do, but before I go off and do it - I wanted to speak directly with the Blood community and see what the thoughts are.

My goal of course is for this all to be free, and all about gameplay and fun. You can rest assured that I have the resources to bring BLOOD back properly but like I said, I'm hoping to have the community participate in all this if it wants to so we can all do it together. This site is great and it would be great to see the Blood community grow!

What do you all think?

Jace

View
41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

41. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 17:03 pagb

Kajetan wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 16:32:
pagb wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 15:22:
I've tried everything ...
Hmm, thats bad. Do you have the original Blood or the GOG.com version? But the GOG.com config doesnt contain anything special, so ...
Retail OUWB... I'm tempted to get GoG's to see if it is any better, but it'll suck buying Blood yet another time for nothing.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

40. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 16:32 Kajetan

pagb wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 15:22:
I've tried everything ...
Hmm, thats bad. Do you have the original Blood or the GOG.com version? But the GOG.com config doesnt contain anything special, so ...

39. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 15:22 pagb

Kajetan wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 08:51:
pagb wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 06:28:
I got an i7@3Ghz, 800x600 is just not pleasant.
There has to be a faulty DOSbox configuration. Perhaps a bad choice of video rendering. I played Blood 1 from GOG.com with 800x600 (DDraw) on a Phenom II with no problems at all.
I've tried everything, from d3d/gl/ddraw, to dosbox svns, different configs, the glide version of blood... Even on my old C2D@3ghz the game ran with the same performance. It is something like this:
640x480: >30fps
800x600: >24fps
1024x768: >18fps

38. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 15:18 Hump

why does he even have to ask this question? What Blood fan is going to say no?  

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"Both the “left” and the “right” pretend they have the answer, but they are mere flippers on the same thalidomide baby, and the truth is that neither side has a clue."

- Jim Goad

37. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 13:16 ItBurn

Kajetan wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 12:29:
Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 12:22:
I somehow missed Blood completely. Is there a decent source port or other newer version I should try or is Dosbox the best route?
There is no source port, because the source does exist, but is not available due to legal reasons. There is Blood 2, but ... well, you better take DOSBox.

Runs great on vanilla dosbox. I never tried the GOG version, but that's your best bet.

36. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 12:29 Kajetan

Dmitri_M wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 12:22:
I somehow missed Blood completely. Is there a decent source port or other newer version I should try or is Dosbox the best route?
There is no source port, because the source does exist, but is not available due to legal reasons. There is Blood 2, but ... well, you better take DOSBox.

35. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 12:22 Dmitri_M

34. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 09:46 ItBurn

I've been waiting for... anything Blood related for years. That's probably my dream project.  

33. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 08:51 Kajetan

pagb wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 06:28:
I got an i7@3Ghz, 800x600 is just not pleasant.
There has to be a faulty DOSbox configuration. Perhaps a bad choice of video rendering. I played Blood 1 from GOG.com with 800x600 (DDraw) on a Phenom II with no problems at all.

32. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 08:13 Muscular Beaver

Do it! DO IT NAO!!!!!!!111
Best classic shooter ever.

Oh that is so lame... You will PAY for your use of inappropriate dialogue!
- Mojo Jojo

31. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 06:28 pagb

Kajetan wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 16:09:
pagb wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 15:54:
Let's keep it as ""runs perfectly"", under Dosbox framerates using any resolution over 320x200 suck, and even then game stutters in some moments.
On a fifteen year old machine maybe, but not on a half decent PC.
I got an i7@3Ghz, 800x600 is just not pleasant

dsyoungblood wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 19:01:
Blood on Quake 1 Engine

http://www.transfusion-game.com/
As hard as they try, doesn't feel like good old Blood

30. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 05:11 killer_roach

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 01:57:
Ray Marden wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 00:56:
Descent,
Volition already said that if they got the IP, they would make a new Descent and Freespace in a heartbeat. Well actually I think they said: "They would commit murder, to do it." The drive is there, and so is the fan base.

Yeah, the IP is simply in hell, with hell being spelled I-n-t-e-r-p-l-a-y.

One can only hope that mess finally assumes room temperature so Volition can get their property back for pennies on the dollar.

29. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 01:57 Mashiki Amiketo

Ray Marden wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 00:56:
Descent,
Volition already said that if they got the IP, they would make a new Descent and Freespace in a heartbeat. Well actually I think they said: "They would commit murder, to do it." The drive is there, and so is the fan base.

--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

28. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 00:56 Ray Marden

I would definitely take a Blood update - just stick with the original game.

As for Shogo, I found it a bit rough when it was released and do not think it really holds up at all. Well, Magic Claw! is still good for a laugh, but that is about it.
It just seems like a really mediocre game.
Wanting sequels to Shadow Warrior, Descent, and Outlaws,
Ray

Everything is awesome!!!
http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/
I love you, mom.

27. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 00:55 bhcompy

Mashiki Amiketo wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 00:09:
Yeah can I toss in another vote for Shogo? Damn if I didn't blow hours in MP on that.

Shogo was one of the last games I can think of that had grapple as a standard feature in MP

26. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 5, 2012, 00:09 Mashiki Amiketo

Yeah can I toss in another vote for Shogo? Damn if I didn't blow hours in MP on that.  
--
"For every human problem,
there is a neat, simple solution;
and it is always wrong."
--H.L. Mencken

25. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 4, 2012, 23:32 netnerd85

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 15:19:
I wish someone would update Half-Life. Actually update it, not a re-imagining like the one project. (That will never be finished anyway...)
Gearbox "updated" it with Blue Shift. And I assume the project you mean is Black Mesa?

24. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 4, 2012, 21:49 Ratty

Blood has to be in my top 5 favorite all time games. But after Blood 2 I'm skeptical. Still, if they would do a level by level remake with the same gameplay and somewhat better graphics I'd buy it.  

23. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 4, 2012, 21:32 Prez

This is one of those games that I just knew would be revived, especially after hearing about the Rise of the Triad remake (that was quick!). Old school FPS's seem to be coming back into fashion, which is cool. Like others, I'd prefer Shogo to this, but beggars can't be choosers, so I'll be glad to get Blood too. EDIT: Why stop wishing? Can I have a NOLF 3 while we're at it?

I was a big fan of Jason Hall back in the day - such a great developer. I'm thrilled to see him still around making games.

This comment was edited on Aug 4, 2012, 21:48.

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.

22. Re: Blood Revival Proposed Aug 4, 2012, 19:25 Cutter

Agent.X7 wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 15:19:
I wish someone would update Half-Life. Actually update it, not a re-imagining like the one project. (That will never be finished anyway...)

Imagine it on UE4 engine? Oh baby!

James Woods: Oh that's fun. That sounds like you had a fun time. Where would I fit in with the fun time, huh? Where does James Woods fit into the fun?

41 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo