Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Star Lords Announced

Indie developer Neogen2 Creations announces Star Lords, an upcoming 4X space strategy game they've been working on for the past two years. The game is currently in the alpha stage, but those who preorder will gain access to development builds beginning now. Here's word on the game, which is expected by the end of this year:

Star Lords is an epic-sized complex and dense 4X strategy game for the PC, set in space where you take the command of one race to join the struggle for supremacy in the galaxy. As the leader of your empire you are to deal with exploring the stars, colonizing new worlds, manage your empire and conquer whoever dares to oppose.

View
15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

15. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 5, 2012, 03:06 Dev

Numinar wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 06:23:
If they get XCOM right I'll start a kickstarter for them to get the rights to those other two great Microprose TBS games.
Best to let them start it if they need to. Sometimes rights to a game aren't for sale period, regardless of the money offered. Sometimes its reverted to the original owners. There's a million more possibilities.

On the otherhand, it could be owned by interplay who'd probably sell rights to almost anything they owned for like $10k.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

14. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 5, 2012, 02:13 dj LiTh

Numinar wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 06:23:
No game in the genre has approached the awesomeness of Master of Magic or the first Master of Orion (not that MOM 2 was a bad game mind).

Unfathomably complex is not what those games were. Deep, involving, emergent and atmospheric yes, but not brain burningly obtuse. All these indie games just don't seem to get it, but good luck for trying and you keep getting my money anyway as I try to scratch that unscratchable itch (Well, until I get the old 486 dos machine out of storage again).

Hoping the UFO:Ememy Unknown remake turns out good. The Pirates! Remake Firaxis made almost nailed it, and in some way was superiour to the original. If they get XCOM right I'll start a kickstarter for them to get the rights to those other two great Microprose TBS games.

Master of Magic...ya you got me, i'm still waitin myself...But Master of Orion1?.....MOO2 destroyed it, Galciv1 & Galciv2 destroyed it. Then you jumpin to Xcom, which is a completely different genre that only has turn based in relation...

13. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 4, 2012, 14:00 Slashman

Silicon Avatar wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 12:08:
I like the way you could glue ship parts together in Galciv 2 to make your own. I didn't like the way they handled combat though. I wanted the option of moving my own ships around sometimes, not have it predetermined by algorithms every time.

GalCiv's ship design feature was pointless. You could make a ship look like anything but it didn't matter. I have no idea what it was even in the game for. Yeah I could make a Klingon warbird...but it wouldn't do jack squat different than if I had made a simple cube with the same modules.

At least Endless Space gives you some combat actions to perform and the graphics don't look like crap.

12. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 4, 2012, 12:08 Silicon Avatar

I like the way you could glue ship parts together in Galciv 2 to make your own. I didn't like the way they handled combat though. I wanted the option of moving my own ships around sometimes, not have it predetermined by algorithms every time.

11. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 4, 2012, 11:31 Slashman

Dirwulf wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 07:08:
There is an awesome new 4X space game out called Endless Space. You should check it out.

I already own it and I am really liking it so far.

It does need some more things added and the devs have acknowledged this and will continue to improve the game.

It's still a really good game though.

10. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 4, 2012, 07:08 Dirwulf

There is an awesome new 4X space game out called Endless Space. You should check it out.  

9. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 4, 2012, 06:23 Numinar

No game in the genre has approached the awesomeness of Master of Magic or the first Master of Orion (not that MOM 2 was a bad game mind).

Unfathomably complex is not what those games were. Deep, involving, emergent and atmospheric yes, but not brain burningly obtuse. All these indie games just don't seem to get it, but good luck for trying and you keep getting my money anyway as I try to scratch that unscratchable itch (Well, until I get the old 486 dos machine out of storage again).

Hoping the UFO:Ememy Unknown remake turns out good. The Pirates! Remake Firaxis made almost nailed it, and in some way was superiour to the original. If they get XCOM right I'll start a kickstarter for them to get the rights to those other two great Microprose TBS games.

8. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 4, 2012, 00:30 Dev

$20 is a bit steep for me to back/preorder an alpha. If it was $10 or $15 (minecraft alpha price) then I'd probalby do it.  

7. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 3, 2012, 23:50 space captain

http://store.steampowered.com/app/205590/

this one is out in a week or so

Go forth, and kill!

6. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 3, 2012, 22:10 jdreyer

Annex wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 21:07:
PHJF wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 20:58:
Thinking the 4X could use a break from outer space...

Well then you can try Warlock: Master of the Arcane or Civ 5, just about the same gameplay (minus the stars/planets)

Yeah, I'm playing GalCiv II right now, having just picked it up during the Steam summer sale. I also picked up Warlock, but haven't played it yet. But I agree with PHJF, there are plenty of space-based 4X games out right now. What I really want to see is a modern version of Master of Magic. Elemental was supposed to be that game, but I didn't go near it with all the negative press. I'll have time for Warlock in a few weeks.

EDIT: Thanks, PHJF for the PoE hookup. Worked up to a L12 Witch already.

"It's just a bunch of mystic bovine scatology to me." - 1badmf

5. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 3, 2012, 21:44 dj LiTh

4x TBS in space....yes....yes please, now its on them to deliver  

4. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 3, 2012, 21:39 Slashman

They lost me at turn based combat.

When I have massed fleets in space with huge ships and unspeakably powerful guns, I think about Homeworld. I don't think about moving them on little squares on a 2-D map.

3. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 3, 2012, 21:19 Axis

Elemental had a huge hopeful but ultimately fell short.

However they've been steadily improving it with Fallen enchantress and it's shaping up to be quite the epicness 4x fantasy. Hopefully anyway

Yours truly,

Axis

2. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 3, 2012, 21:07 Annex

PHJF wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 20:58:

Well then you can try Warlock: Master of the Arcane or Civ 5, just about the same gameplay (minus the stars/planets)

1. Re: Star Lords Announced Aug 3, 2012, 20:58 PHJF

Steam + PSN: PHJF

15 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo