Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Tech Bits

View
6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

6. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 4, 2012, 10:02 Kitkoan

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 22:53:
Read the Article.
"Oculus informed us that any game that uses the Unreal 4 game engine should be able to run on the Oculus Rift since John Carmack and team has already done the coding."

Read what you quoted "uses the Unreal 4 game engine SHOULD be able to run on the Oculus Rift". Should is the key word like I was saying about. The engine will support it but should and will are 2 very different things and so in the end it looks like it's up to the developers to enable it or not.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 4, 2012, 00:22 The Half Elf

My question is, is the article wrong about Carmack supporting this and doing drivers for Unreal, or has Carmack actually did the drivers to support this in the Unreal Engine. Which the latter would surprise me in a good way.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 3, 2012, 23:56 TheEmissary

It would be nice if people would wait to see if the other high profile kickstarters actually produce a deliverable before throwing money at yet another project. I might be interested in the headset if and only if it actually makes to production and up for sale online/retail and has been reviewed.  

3. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 3, 2012, 22:53 The Half Elf

Read the Article.
"Oculus informed us that any game that uses the Unreal 4 game engine should be able to run on the Oculus Rift since John Carmack and team has already done the coding."

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

2. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 3, 2012, 22:30 Kitkoan

The Half Elf wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 20:48:
Any game using the Unreal 4 engine should be able to use it since Carmack did the coding for it? At QuakeCon?

From what I'm understanding, no it won't work that way. Its something the maker will have to allow in the game. The engines (both Unreal 4 and I'm assuming the new Unity as it is listed as a supported engine on the Kickstarter) have the ability to allow for it but in the end, its not forced on the program and must in turn be programmed into the game to use it. So the engine can, but its up to the developer in the end.

*automatically refuses to place horse heads in anyone's bed*

1. Re: Evening Tech Bits Aug 3, 2012, 20:48 The Half Elf

Any game using the Unreal 4 engine should be able to use it since Carmack did the coding for it? At QuakeCon?  

6 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo