Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Dishonored Voice Cast

Bethesda Softworks announces an all-star voice cast will be lending (or renting) their talents to Dishonored, Arkane's upcoming stealth/assassination game, touting the honors they've earned. Here's word:

Bethesda Softworks®, a ZeniMax® Media company, today revealed the all-star cast lending their voices to DishonoredTM, a new first-person action game from Arkane Studios in which the player takes on the role of Corvo, a supernatural assassin driven by revenge. Dishonored will feature an award-winning ensemble including Academy Award® winner, Susan Sarandon (“Thelma & Louise,” “Dead Man Walking”), Golden Globe® winner, Brad Dourif (“The Lord of the Rings” trilogy, “One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest”), Emmy® Award nominees Carrie Fisher (original “Star Wars” trilogy) and John Slattery (“Mad Men”), Michael Madsen (“Thelma & Louise,” “Reservoir Dogs,” “Kill Bill”), and Lena Headey (“300,” “Game of Thrones”),

Susan Sarandon, an Academy Award winner and five-time nominee, will make her videogame debut as the former aristocrat, Granny Rags – an intriguing old blind woman now deranged after years of street life. Academy Award nominee and Golden Globe-winner Brad Dourif takes on the role of the inventor Piero, creator of the iconic mask worn by Corvo as well as a wealth of gadgets Corvo can use. Emmy winner and Hollywood-icon Carrie Fisher can be heard broadcasting government propaganda over loudspeakers throughout the city of Dunwall, where the game is set.

The all-star cast continues with John Slattery (“Mad Men,” “The Adjustment Bureau”) who takes on the role of Admiral Havelock, a Loyalist who helps Corvo on his quest, as well as Michael Madsen who brings his videogame voiceover experience to the role of Daud, a mysterious assassin. Chloë Grace Moretz (“Kick-Ass,” “Hugo”) portrays Young Lady Emily, the Empress’ daughter who is kidnapped after her mother’s death while Lena Headey joins the cast as Calista, Emily’s caretaker. In addition to the star-studded voice cast, Composer Daniel Licht (“Dexter”) lends his musical talents to create the game’s original score.

“Having such talented actors voice Dishonored's compelling cast of characters adds a rich, powerful element to the game,” said Raphaël Colantonio, president of Arkane Studios. “We want to draw people into this virtual world and make it feel real. This celebrated cast adds wonderful depth and credibility to the overall Dishonored gameplay experience."

Dishonored gives players the chance to eliminate enemies using a flexible combat system that combines supernatural abilities and numerous weapons. Pursue targets under the cover of darkness or boldly attack with weapons drawn. The choices you make will control each mission and the game's ultimate conclusion.

Dishonored is set for release in North American on October 9, 2012 and throughout Europe on October 12, 2012 on the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation® 3 computer entertainment system, and Games for Windows.

For more information about Dishonored visit: www.dishonored.com.

View
27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

27. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 4, 2012, 16:01 Agent.X7

space captain wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 01:32:
" This celebrated cast adds wonderful depth and credibility to the overall Dishonored gameplay experience."

if you need celebrities to give your game "credibility", then you are in serious trouble

Yeah. I just finished The Walking Dead episode 2. Recognized none of the voice actors names, but they all did a good job. I have my reservations about just how much choice you really have in that type of game, but it was still fun and lived up to what I expect from The Walking Dead.

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

26. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 4, 2012, 11:59 Bhruic

Creston wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 18:10:
As for how much it costs, shrug, I don't care. Like if they hired 20 hobos off the street for a hundred bucks and a Subway party tray, they'd pass the savings onto us. Oh noes, the poor publishers, they spent some of the CEO's bonus on getting better voice actors! Whatever.

Uh, that's definitely missing the point. Games have budgets. If you spend X amount of dollars on voice "talent", that X amount can't go towards other areas of the game.

If they were increasing the game budget specifically to allow for recognizable actors, then you'd be right, it'd be a non-issue.

25. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 4, 2012, 01:32 space captain

" This celebrated cast adds wonderful depth and credibility to the overall Dishonored gameplay experience."

if you need celebrities to give your game "credibility", then you are in serious trouble

Go forth, and kill!

24. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 22:55 Jerykk

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 14:36:
While I'm hopeful this will be a decent game I'm slightly concerned by the media put out recently. It doesn't look as free-form as it really needs to be. Also, it's going to be competing against games like Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3 which both look like much, much better games.

Even if it turns out to be decent I'll probably wait for a sale.

What? I don't even see how you can compare them. Borderlands 2 is a co-op shooter. There's no stealth and no goal beyond killing everything that moves. Far Cry 3 is closer to Dishonored, but even then, it's primarily a shooter. You won't be able to sneak your way through the game and you will be forced to kill a lot of people. Dishonored is best compared to Deus Ex in that it lets you play the game the way you want to play it. Want to sneak past everyone? Go for it. Want to kill everyone? Go for it. You set the pacing and gameplay style you want.

My only concern is how overpowered the player will be. He can pause time, teleport, possess people and see through walls. I suspect that I'll have to refrain from using abilities as much as possible in order to make the game challenging.

As for celebrity voice actors, I don't really see the point. Does anyone really care if a famous actor is voicing a character in a game? I'm pretty sure nobody is going to buy a game based on the presence of celebrity voice actors and these actors aren't going to go on talk shows or other media events to promote the game. It just seems like a colossal waste of money by the publisher. Money that would be better spent extending development and allowing for more polish time.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2012, 23:01.

23. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 22:00 netnerd85

They really want to flog this Dishonored shit dont they  

22. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 19:52 Dmitri_M

As someone who enjoys games for gameplay sake I always have subtitles enabled during cutscenes so I can skim read and jump through the cheesy game storylines before the voice actor is finished - I don't care which actor is pulling a pay cheque to do a voice. That's cutscenes though, good voice acting during actual gameplay is always appreciated. Using recognizable names has little point outside of marketing purposes. The celebrity factor detracts from the experience for me. Why is Captain Picard in an RPG. Not that I play RPGs. Too much lame story telling. Too many hokey cutscenes to skip with too many celebrities dialing it in on some lame video game content.  

21. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 19:47 PHJF

See; Patrick Stewart in Obliv and Castlevania LOS.

Really? Your examples are Captain Picard doing a once-over for a game's tutorial level and then doing the cringe-worthy loading screen narration for the (in name only) Castlevania?

Whatever, I guess I should be celebrating this as the one game in the past decade not prominently featuring Nolan North.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

20. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 18:29 Cyanotetyphas

Very unique celebrity voices can improve a game. See; Patrick Stewart in Obliv and Castlevania LOS. It's just some basic narration but he made it feel suitably epic.

However, the voice acting is way secondary to the mo-cap work. If a bunch of NPCs are all just standing around and talking to me with blank stares it really doesn't matter how much they're mastering the material in the booth.

Synthetic Error - Entertainment bloggin http://syntheticerror.wordpress.com/

19. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 18:10 Creston

Eh, I like hearing recognizable voices in game. If the actors do their best (not always a given, but it seems to be improving,) then to me it's definitely worth getting people who can actually act to do the voices.

As for how much it costs, shrug, I don't care. Like if they hired 20 hobos off the street for a hundred bucks and a Subway party tray, they'd pass the savings onto us. Oh noes, the poor publishers, they spent some of the CEO's bonus on getting better voice actors! Whatever.

As for the game, it looks interesting, but so far most videos I've seen everything looks kinda... I don't know... juddering? Nothing really seems to move very fluidly, and the guards especially seem to run around like they're stuck to just 8 directional axis. Hopefully that's just an artifact of strange angles plus it being a video. If the levels are as open as they say, and you really have a wealth of options to complete your assignments, this could be a really awesome game.

Need to hear some opinions before I splurge though.

Creston

18. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 17:37 NKD

kyleb wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 17:34:
NKD wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 16:44:
It doesn't really cost as much as you guys think to get a few lines out of someone.
According to Reuters:

Chapelsky recalls a demand by one top talent for $750,000 to do an hour's worth of voice work. He said it is common for star talent to receive in the high five figures for a single session. One star got more than $500,000 for a single session.

Given that, your "3% of the total budget" guesstimate seems at least a bit low.

It's possible, we don't know the total. But its doubtful all these people are even in the top 10% of pay, let alone getting paychecks that extreme. We're talking mostly TV actors and a kid.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

17. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 17:34 kyleb

It doesn't really cost as much as you guys think to get a few lines out of someone.
According to Reuters:

Chapelsky recalls a demand by one top talent for $750,000 to do an hour's worth of voice work. He said it is common for star talent to receive in the high five figures for a single session. One star got more than $500,000 for a single session.

Given that, your "3% of the total budget" guesstimate seems at least a bit low.

16. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 17:28 NKD

Yakubs wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 17:20:
I'd be surprised if it was more than 3% of the total budget for the game

But what's the total budget? Also, what kind of ROI do you think they're hoping for on this game and how much does that 3% cut into it?

That's stuff we will never know, but they have to hire somebody who can do it without being entirely cringe-worthy. So you're not even looking at 3%, now that I think about it. You're looking at the difference between hiring say, Tara Strong instead of Lena Headey.

Yeah, it's possible that if they were making this game on an otherwise shoestring budget that it would make up a larger chunk. But given the type of game and the people involved that this is a fairly spendy title.

The bulk of most triple A game projects is marketing and just paying the salaries of your employees. You generally have a very large team working 2-3 years. The bigger your team, the more your game is gonna cost.

Trying to cut down on development waste is cool, but to focus on voice acting it's like someone with overwhelming credit card debt and a car payment they don't need trying to save money by skipping the Starbucks and brewing their own coffee instead.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

15. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 17:20 Yakubs

I'd be surprised if it was more than 3% of the total budget for the game

But what's the total budget? Also, what kind of ROI do you think they're hoping for on this game and how much does that 3% cut into it?

14. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 17:04 Zoom

Cutter wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 14:51:
It is a massive waste of money.
My thoughts exactly.
And game voice acting is something else entirely. There are some good names and they are not in this list. Although i suspect Brad Dourif might be able to pull it..

13. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 16:49 PHJF

How about hiring Billy West to do *all* the voices, and they'd end up 8000% better.

Of all the people who don't take video games seriously, screen actors have gotta be pretty high up on the list. Screen actors and television pundits.

Steam + PSN: PHJF

12. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 16:44 NKD

It doesn't really cost as much as you guys think to get a few lines out of someone. It depends on how much dialogue you have, but I doubt this game is going to be Bioware-heavy on the voices. I'd be surprised if it was more than 3% of the total budget for the game for total voice work including the lesser known actors who will do most of the work.  

11. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 15:01 Ozmodan

Absolutely idiotic wasting money on celebrity voice acting. And they wonder why it costs so much to make games. You could pull some bums off the street and no one would notice!  

10. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 14:51 Cutter

It is a massive waste of money.

"Nobody wants to be nobody in America. Ed is the apotheosis of a prevailing American syndrome. It used to be that someone became famous because they were special. Now people are considered special just for being famous. Fame, itself, is its own virtue.

9. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 14:39 Agent.X7

While a good voice cast makes the game more enjoyable, I can't help but think that there are literally thousands of voice actors who could do just as good a job as celebrity actors, and at probably less than half the cost. Seems like a waste of money just so they can point to it as a feature.

Hell, even some sci-fi actors would be cheaper, and probably would be cooler for most of us gamers. I'd love to hear Ben Browder, Chris Judge, Michael Shanks, and such join Claudia Black in the ranks of awesome voice actors. (At this point Black is probably more famous for voice acting than her TV/movie roles anyway.)

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

8. Re: Dishonored Voice Cast Aug 3, 2012, 14:36 theyarecomingforyou

While I'm hopeful this will be a decent game I'm slightly concerned by the media put out recently. It doesn't look as free-form as it really needs to be. Also, it's going to be competing against games like Borderlands 2 and Far Cry 3 which both look like much, much better games.

Even if it turns out to be decent I'll probably wait for a sale.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

27 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo