Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Gatherings & Competitions

View
14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

14. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 4, 2012, 03:18 Tusker

RailWizard wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 01:31:
So the solution is to make a spectacle of themselves?
It's a con. The participants will be no more making a "spectacle" of themselves than those who attend PAX.
I'm just trying to see the end game here, and right now, it's pretty fucking foggy. What exactly does full equality look like? Are the rich going to start partying with the poor? Sometimes you just have to live with what you have and try to be happy with it, or kill yourself.
Their stated goal is not full 'equality', but to "create a space where all gamers and queer geeks can come together in a welcoming and safe space."
I think the reality is they will never be fully accepted, and the sooner they learn to live with that, the better it will be for everyone.
I wonder how often that was said about Negroes, and women?

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

13. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 4, 2012, 02:58 RailWizard

NKD wrote on Aug 4, 2012, 02:09:
So the solution is to make a spectacle of themselves? I'm just trying to see the end game here, and right now, it's pretty fucking foggy. What exactly does full equality look like? Are the rich going to start partying with the poor? Sometimes you just have to live with what you have and try to be happy with it, or kill yourself.

I think the reality is they will never be fully accepted, and the sooner they learn to live with that, the better it will be for everyone. Or we can fight about it some more.

Wow. Just wow.

I'm done.

Good.

12. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 4, 2012, 02:09 NKD

So the solution is to make a spectacle of themselves? I'm just trying to see the end game here, and right now, it's pretty fucking foggy. What exactly does full equality look like? Are the rich going to start partying with the poor? Sometimes you just have to live with what you have and try to be happy with it, or kill yourself.

I think the reality is they will never be fully accepted, and the sooner they learn to live with that, the better it will be for everyone. Or we can fight about it some more.

Wow. Just wow.

I'm done.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

11. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 4, 2012, 01:31 RailWizard

NKD wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 23:49:
RailWizard wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 23:21:
NKD wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 22:13:
Telling a minority group to shut up and stop getting noticed so things will be easier on them probably isn't the right attitude to have.

..and yet, nothing could be more true. If you want to be part of the larger community, that means not having your own that separates you from it. Stop acting like victims, and maybe you'll stop being treated like one. There are so many examples of this in life I'm not even gonna bother giving examples. I do remember this lesson being drilled in many times in grade school though. No one gets special privilege. Anyone attempting to extort it was punished. Simple as that.

So it's the LGBT's communities fault that people hate them and attempt to exclude them from society? If only they would just go back in the closet?

10. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 3, 2012, 23:49 NKD

RailWizard wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 23:21:
Telling a minority group to shut up and stop getting noticed so things will be easier on them probably isn't the right attitude to have.

..and yet, nothing could be more true. If you want to be part of the larger community, that means not having your own that separates you from it. Stop acting like victims, and maybe you'll stop being treated like one. There are so many examples of this in life I'm not even gonna bother giving examples. I do remember this lesson being drilled in many times in grade school though. No one gets special privilege. Anyone attempting to extort it was punished. Simple as that.

So it's the LGBT's communities fault that people hate them and attempt to exclude them from society? If only they would just go back in the closet?

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

9. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 3, 2012, 23:45 space captain

just because whiny bitches need to shut up doesnt mean that social equality actually exists in reality

"ooh ooh! look what i learned in kindergarten!!" .. wow, thats impressive stuff there

Go forth, and kill!

8. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 3, 2012, 23:39 PHJF

They can get Chick Fil A to cater it.  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

7. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 3, 2012, 23:21 RailWizard

6. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 3, 2012, 22:13 NKD

Burrito of Peace wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 18:34:
Going out of your way to self-label and segregate seems to be attention whoring and just invites the problems one would ostensibly assume they'd like to avoid.

It's not really about segregation. There are thousands of conventions every year, most of them geared towards a certain crowd. They have shared concerns and interests, so it makes sense. I don't see why an event for LGBT people should be any different.

As to the 14 year olds, those aren't the homophobes we need to worry about. They use those terms primarily as an insult towards anyone and everyone because they are shit-head children with no social graces. Most don't really have any animosity towards gays. The younger generations are considerably more LGBT friendly than the older ones, despite their lack of manners.

5. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 3, 2012, 21:21 The Half Elf

Thankfully I'm masculine and do not portray the stereotypical gay 'type' but do you know how many people know I'm gay on Xbox live besides the people from Blues and people I know in RL? ZERO. Played with a group since Forza 1 and never told them. Why? Because at the end of the day I'm there to play games, not deal with RL Drama, or potentially deal with a long time friendship ending because of it.  

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

4. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 3, 2012, 21:13 Tusker

The funny thing is, no gamer I know gives a rat's ass what hole you prefer to poke, lick, suck or fondle. Insecure 14 year old boys on Xbox Live are the minority, not the majority.

Going out of your way to self-label and segregate seems to be attention whoring and just invites the problems one would ostensibly assume they'd like to avoid.
I would normally agree, but I have never played an Xbox game, and even among relatively mature gaming communities it's not uncommon to see 'fag' and 'gay' used pejoratively. If events like this can help reduce the use of these slurs I'm all for it.

Xbox Live is almost certainly beyond salvation though - the only solution is to kill it with fire.

3. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 3, 2012, 19:36 RailWizard

Careful. People have been burned to stakes for less. Dizzy

2. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 3, 2012, 18:34 Burrito of Peace

NKD wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 17:42:
Oh no, those gays are trying to have something. Quick, let's stop them!!! For 'MURRICA!!! And freedom!

The funny thing is, no gamer I know gives a rat's ass what hole you prefer to poke, lick, suck or fondle. Insecure 14 year old boys on Xbox Live are the minority, not the majority.

1. Re: Gatherings & Competitions Aug 3, 2012, 17:42 NKD

Oh no, those gays are trying to have something. Quick, let's stop them!!! For 'MURRICA!!! And freedom!  

14 Replies. 1 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo