Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard

The Bethesda Blog has word that The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - Dawnguard is now available on Steam, offering Windows users this DLC for the RPG sequel. This update for PS3 owners explains that version of the DLC is being held back because of dissatisfaction with its performance on that platform. Here's word on the pack:

Dawnguard™ is the first official game add-on for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim® - the 2011 Game of the Year. The Vampire Lord Harkon has returned to power. By using the Elder Scrolls, he seeks to do the unthinkable - to end the sun itself. Will you join the ancient order of the Dawnguard and stop him? Or will you become a Vampire Lord yourself? Featuring an all new faction questline and locations, the ultimate choice will be yours.

View
31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

31. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 7, 2012, 03:25 Quinn

The complaint that this DLC is too expensive because it's relatively tiny compared to the epicness of the original game... is about the largest bullshit I've heard in quite a while on this page.

According to those complainers' logic, a company is basically being punished for releasing a huge.. HUGE game.

Lets turn the complaint around: I think that, compared to the 10 hour entertainment you get out most $60,- games these days, Skyrim should've been prized at least $230,-.

There's ALWAYS something to moan about with most of the Bluesnews members. What a pathetic bunch, hiding behind smart-ass demeanors. I'm sorry, but it's really sad at points.

"Moo," she said.
And I trembled.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

30. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 5, 2012, 22:53 Jerykk

Xombie wrote on Aug 5, 2012, 14:51:
Most Blues News commenters could get a couple months out of 10 hours of gameplay, I imagine, considering how much time they spend whining about games they don't like rather than playing ones they do.

About half of your posts here are complaints about Blues posters.

29. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 5, 2012, 14:51 Xombie

Most Blues News commenters could get a couple months out of 10 hours of gameplay, I imagine, considering how much time they spend whining about games they don't like rather than playing ones they do.  
Xombie x0mbie x0mb|e Xombie

28. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 23:44 killer_roach

netnerd85 wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 22:07:
Dades wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:31:
$20? No thanks.
And for Australians it's $25, they can turn it side ways and jam it right up there for that price. Hope it tears a bit on the way up, I really do.

I realize exchange rates are comparable, but purchasing power of the Australian dollar is still quite low relative to USD. A 25% premium, all things considered, is a net positive for Australians in terms of ability to purchase the content.

(Just playing Devil's Advocate - I'm a firm advocate in the Law of One Price, but don't make it sound like Australians are being unfairly inconvenienced by the difference.)

27. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 22:07 netnerd85

Dades wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:31:
$20? No thanks.
And for Australians it's $25, they can turn it side ways and jam it right up there for that price. Hope it tears a bit on the way up, I really do.

26. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 13:00 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 05:09:
That's not what I've read. I've read the main quest takes about 8-10 hours and most of the side content is just generic fetch quests. Comparisons to Bloodmoon, Tribunal and Shivering Isles all came out negatively for Dawnguard.Also, they note how bland Dawnguard feels compared to Shivering Isles.

All of Skyrim is fetch quests, you can't dismiss those! Lol... Anyway, I believe the higher hour counts because I am a slow player and always end up high. There were people who said Skyrim was 20-30 hours long, but you say 200... all depends on the player.

The point is this has a large faction quest with two entirely different capaigns, two large new areas and expansion pack style side content like new weapons, new side quests, a face changer, new craftables, new enemies, new spells, etc.... it's certainly larger than the $10 packs they sold, including Point Lookout which was a bargain at $10.

I could see maybe saying $15 would have been better, but it seems silly to OMG a $20 price point like it's insane.

Then again I haven't dived in yet, just got the invitation to the new area last time I played.

25. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 10:50 Dades

theyarecomingforyou wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 09:52:
The length of that expansion really isn't the issue here - it's the quality of the content.

You chopped off the part of my response where I touched briefly on the quality. 10 hours of BF3 might be considered long while 20 hours of an RPG would be deemed short. This DLC doesn't sound like it has much going for it was the point. If it was going to be long with decent but unremarkable content then that might be alright with some but when its not very long and the content is repetitive then that's a no go at $20.

Can you actually name an expansion pack that is longer than 15hrs?

Obviously the length alone is not the determining factor in quality but yes I can name several lengthy expansion packs: Shivering Isles, Warcraft 3: Frozen Throne, a few of the Fallout 3 DLC packs were pretty big, DA: Awakenings, etc.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2012, 10:56.

24. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 09:52 theyarecomingforyou

Dades wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 08:49:
Most people probably read the large amount of user and critic reviews. There are many reviews out for this, I haven't seen a single one saying the amount of content is anywhere near an expansion pack. It's usually pegged at around 10-15 hours.
Can you actually name an expansion pack that is longer than 15hrs? Most are a fraction of that length... heck, many full games like COD and BF3 are shorter than that!

The length of that expansion really isn't the issue here - it's the quality of the content. The core game featured a lot of content and it was very diverse - there was something for everyone. This is a lot more focused and the plot doesn't seem to relate to anything that was in the core game... well, not the 90hrs that I played. The real issue is that most people burned out on the original content and this just isn't exciting enough to draw a lot of people back.

SteamID: theyarecomingforyou
Star Citizen: Blue's News

23. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 08:49 Dades

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 03:15:
Most people seem to be saying OMG $20 without actually knowing how much content is there. Not saying I know for sure, but from what I have read it's closer to Shivering Isles than Knights of the Nine.

Most people probably read the large amount of user and critic reviews. There are many reviews out for this, I haven't seen a single one saying the amount of content is anywhere near an expansion pack. It's usually pegged at around 10-15 hours. the quests sound uninspired and repetitive. $20 is too high for 10 hours of average content when Skyrim has a ton of that already.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2012, 09:09.

22. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 08:37 Spektr

Well if you compare it to a horse armor type DLC it's a good deal  

21. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 05:15 killer_roach

Viper114 wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 22:04:
Shame about the PS3 version though. As much as I like my PS3 and the games on it, I'm glad I did not get Skyrim for it, or I'd be majorly disappointed with...well, everything.

Gamebryo runs like ass on the PS3. That and Bethesda's coders appear absolutely incompetent in making games for that console. Either way, it seems like the PS3 versions of those games all have their own unique breed of problems.

20. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 05:09 Jerykk

StingingVelvet wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 03:15:
Jerykk wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 23:01:
$20 is way too much for this. If Skyrim cost $60 and offered 200+ hours of gameplay, $20 DLC should offer at least 60 hours of gameplay. Throw in the fact that the bulk of code and assets are recycled from Skyrim and it's an even worse deal. I'll wait until this is $5.

If you are OCD and slow enough to spend 200 hours on one character in Skyrim I would imagine Dawnguard could give you quite a number of hours. The average length I have read just for the main quest is 15-20, and there are tons of side quests, new areas and additional things to do.

Most people seem to be saying OMG $20 without actually knowing how much content is there. Not saying I know for sure, but from what I have read it's closer to Shivering Isles than Knights of the Nine.

That's not what I've read. I've read the main quest takes about 8-10 hours and most of the side content is just generic fetch quests. Comparisons to Bloodmoon, Tribunal and Shivering Isles all came out negatively for Dawnguard.Also, they note how bland Dawnguard feels compared to Shivering Isles.

19. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 03:15 StingingVelvet

Jerykk wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 23:01:
$20 is way too much for this. If Skyrim cost $60 and offered 200+ hours of gameplay, $20 DLC should offer at least 60 hours of gameplay. Throw in the fact that the bulk of code and assets are recycled from Skyrim and it's an even worse deal. I'll wait until this is $5.

If you are OCD and slow enough to spend 200 hours on one character in Skyrim I would imagine Dawnguard could give you quite a number of hours. The average length I have read just for the main quest is 15-20, and there are tons of side quests, new areas and additional things to do.

18. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 01:19 Creston

Kastagir wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 23:07:
Also, what's with the vague leadup? From "we have not announced" to "here you go, PC users." Is it really necessary to be this vague?

Yeah, I know. God forbid fucking Bethesda show some appreciation to the PC platform, which only put them on the map and has kept their last three games alive beyond all comparison. I mean, they are STILL making (huge) mods for Morrowind!

Creston

17. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 01:12 jacobvandy

Kastagir wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 23:07:
Also, what's with the vague leadup? From "we have not announced" to "here you go, PC users." Is it really necessary to be this vague?

Pete Hines is a jackass. I've always hated that guy...

16. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 01:05 El Pit

Released for PPC. All owners of an Apple Power PC, rejoice! Sinclair ZX 81 version should be released SOON!  
Consoles? I owned two: a Pong clone and an Atari 2600. And that's it.

15. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 00:57 Flatline

PHJF wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 21:20:
I saw the PPC in the text and wondered why Bethesda were such noobs when LRMs and Gauss Rifles are so much cooler.

WIN

14. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 3, 2012, 00:31 Dades

$20? No thanks.  

13. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 2, 2012, 23:24 Cutter

Yeah, this is Steam Xmas sale material now.

"Bye weeks? Bronko Nagurski didn't get no bye weeks, and now he's dead… Well, maybe they're a good thing." - Moe

12. Re: Ships Ahoy - PPC Skyrim Dawnguard Aug 2, 2012, 23:14 LittleMe

Agreed this costs way too much. Skyrim proper needs patching much more than this DLC about vampires. Sheesh.. This is a disappointment.

Perpetual debt is slavery.

31 Replies. 2 pages. Viewing page 1.
< Newer [ 1 2 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo