Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today

The Guild Wars 2 Facebook Page announces plans for a four-hour stress test today for Guild Wars 2, though this may not be a smooth experience due to how they are doing this (thanks VG247). Here's word:

We will be conducting a stress test on Thursday, August 2 from 12:00 Noon PACIFIC Time to 4:00 PM PACIFIC Time.

Unlike previous stress tests, we will be actively working on the game during the event, so you might experience connectivity problems or discover features that are not working as designed. Any issues you experience are a result of the rigorous conditions of the stress test, and are in no way representative of the state of the game at launch. By participating in this stress test, you’re helping us make Guild Wars 2 a better game. Thanks for your cooperation—we’ll see you in-game! ~RB2

View
101 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

61. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 3, 2012, 08:32 RollinThundr

Axis wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 21:45:
RollinThundr wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 20:06:
NKD wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 19:23:
I don't know what I hate more: when people are being unnecessarily negative, or when they occasionally find something they like and don't tolerate anyone not liking it.

And you'll never be able to tell them GW2 was no good because it has no subscriber numbers, only total sales, and will have no available concurrency numbers.

So no matter what, GW2 is a revolutionary success! They found the perfect game to shill for!

Reminds me of my friend who rants and raves about how Rift is the best MMO of all time yet all he is ever doing on Steam is playing fucking Sonic the Hedgehog or DOTA2. I guarantee you 90% of the people shilling GW2 won't even be playing a significant number of hours three months out and will have excuses like "Well at least there's no fee I'm paying, I got my money's worth!"

Predictable.

No one's holding a gun to your head forcing you to buy GW2 or comment on GW2 topics. Axis shits on it every single GW2 thread pops up. With vague excuses as to why it's so terrible apparently.

There's a difference between stating an opinion with actual facts to back said opinion up and just trolling for effect.

I've stated plenty of reasons the game is subpar here, more specifically I've sent them to Arenanet and posted feedback.

This is a forum to comment, and judging by your hundreds of comments, many of them filled with you calling people names, being a smartass or otherwise disrespectful, I expect trolls like you to smell his own shit and think it smells wonderful blinded by your own aroma.

Most of your reasons are either vague or flat out bullshit, like you didn't play the game past lvl 3 and don't even know what you're talking about.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

60. Re: Still no public tests? Aug 3, 2012, 03:23 WyldKat

Ant wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 01:38:

Where have you been for the past 6 months?

Anyone who has wanted a beta key has gotten one, you could have even preordered from Amazon, got a key, then cancel the order without being out of anything.

59. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 3, 2012, 03:16 WyldKat

Teddy wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 22:22:
The only flaw in your argument is the sheer lack of logic. People aren't investing in the hype. We've PLAYED THE DAMN GAME. That's not hype, that's experience.

This guy, this guy right here.

/thread

58. Still no public tests? Aug 3, 2012, 01:38 Ant

Ant @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx and Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net ...

57. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 3, 2012, 01:24 Bucky

[snip]

NKD wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:43:
It's all pretty subjective in the end, so why go after people who simply state that they like or dislike something?

[/snip]

I think this gets to the heart of the problem here at Blue's. If you disagree with a persons' opinion of a game, post your own opinion, but don't attack the person about it. Better still, don't respond directly, because it's become clear that the discussion loses it's focus on the game and instead becomes one of personal disagreements.

The other problem, to me, is the broad generalizations we're all guilty of making (hey, I've done it several times in this post!). It's not that we can stop making them entirely, as exaggeration and embellishment are a large part of this language, but if we can at least keep them to a minimum we have a better shot at preventing misunderstanding.

Of course, I'm a little drunk right now, so it's entirely possible none of what I've written makes a bit of sense. The most probable outcome is that I'll wake up in the morning, read this, and regret having posted it.

56. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 3, 2012, 01:06 Verno

NKD wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:43:
See, that confuses me. Why does disliking the game have a greater 'burden of proof' than liking it. It's all pretty subjective in the end, so why go after people who simply state that they like or dislike something? There is value in simply getting the "pulse" of a community to see the number of likes versus the number of dislikes. If either group doesn't speak up, it gives a false impression of what people think of the game and it lets a few extremists run the block.

This is kinda silly man. Look, there is no discussion without detail. If we all just sit here holding hands posting GAME SUX NO IT DONT then we might as well head over to Youtube. No one said there is any burden of proof but if you want someone to take that opinion seriously then generally you should back it up with some logic, reason or facts. If nothing else it just explains your thought process a bit and might help the other person understand or influence their decision. Sometimes noise is helpful but most of the time it's just noise. No one said anything about forum debate or writing an essay either, that's just hyperbole. I can say a game is bland or I can say that the game is bland because the style of artwork was derivative and the voice acting was unimpressive.

There's nothing wrong with asking me why I liked the game just like there's nothing harmful in asking you how you made up your mind. If you can't or don't want to explain it then hey no worries but at the same time you can't expect people to give that much credence as a result.

This comment was edited on Aug 3, 2012, 01:21.

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

55. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 3, 2012, 00:50 Dades

What a surprise, no shills and another load of indirect responses. I give up, you guys have fun with him.

Not too much fun though. He'll tell you that you didn't actually have fun because you were all suffering from a shared mass delusion and that you should value the opinion of the thinnest forum troll because every opinion matters and no child gets left behind.

54. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 3, 2012, 00:43 NKD

Dades wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:29:
What shills? Where? You act like the website is overrun with fanboys and shills for this game. Pull the curtain away, let's meet the wizard. If you want to post that you think the game sucks period end of sentence then yeah that's an opinion but it's not one anyone has to respect. There's something between a 130 page dissertation and a set of super vague criticisms that could be leveled at any videogame created.

See, that confuses me. Why does disliking the game have a greater 'burden of proof' than liking it. It's all pretty subjective in the end, so why go after people who simply state that they like or dislike something? There is value in simply getting the "pulse" of a community to see the number of likes versus the number of dislikes. If either group doesn't speak up, it gives a false impression of what people think of the game and it lets a few extremists run the block.

People saying "I had fun in the last test." aren't called on to say specifically what they liked, and they don't often elaborate. I can't speak for others, but the reason I don't call for more detail is because I know the reason someone likes or dislikes something can be hard to put into words. I enjoy WoW, but disliked Rift, which is incredibly similar and even has a lot of features I wish WoW had. I'd have a hard time explaining why I dislike Rift. It just doesn't do it for me.

I suppose one could reasonably argue that it being "good" is the consensus opinion and that an opinion that goes against consensus requires more elaboration, but...

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

53. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 3, 2012, 00:29 Dades

NKD wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:22:
You can get that out of almost any MMO, so that isn't an extraordinary or shillish sounding claim at all. I'm talking about those guys who have made it sound like the second coming of EverQuest, and who will scramble to find some way to avoid having to back down from those claims. And at the same time, they get really mad and demand you write a 130 page dissertation about why you didn't enjoy your time in testing because you're just being too vague, or you must just not like MMOs.

What shills? Where? You act like the website is overrun with fanboys and shills for this game. Pull the curtain away, let's meet the wizard. If you want to post that you think the game sucks period end of sentence then yeah that's an opinion but it's not one anyone has to respect. There's something between a 130 page dissertation and a throwaway sentence or two with vague criticisms that could be leveled at any videogame created.

52. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 3, 2012, 00:22 NKD

Fion wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:08:

It's a single purchase. A single month worth of content is still vastly more than 90% of other $60 purchases. Your whole post is an assumption based upon your own bias. Didn't anyone ever tell you when you assume you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'?

Thanks to Benny Hill for that last line.

Well the shills I'm referring to are the ones who claim GW2 is revolutionary and amazing, not the ones who claim, right up front, that they are just hoping to get a couple months out of it.

You can get that out of almost any MMO, so that isn't an extraordinary or shillish sounding claim at all. I'm talking about those guys who have made it sound like the second coming of EverQuest, and who will scramble to find some way to avoid having to back down from those claims. And at the same time, they get really mad and demand you write a 130 page dissertation about why you didn't enjoy your time in testing because you're just being too vague, or you must just not like MMOs.

Verno wrote on Aug 3, 2012, 00:02:
I've been trying to sit this out as I normally respect your opinions but this is just utter nonsense, not to mention totally offbase. I can think of about a handful of total people on the entire website who have ever said anything negative about Guild Wars 2 and half of them have been so vague as to leave one wondering if they even played it. Despite that fact I try to assume they are based in experience and most of the responses I've seen have been pretty patient and reasonable in just posting their own thoughts on why they had fun with it. You said earlier that trolls will be trolls but you seemingly lump everyone else in when it's a few people being silly and telling others to shut up or whatever. To be blunt you also trolled quite a bit in here with several insulting implications so if people were painting you with the same brush they would just dismiss you as a hater.

I certainly don't mean to lump everyone in with the zealots or shills. But anyone having anything positive to say about anything is about a 10% chance here, so maybe they just stick out like a sore thumb and catch my attention more.

Let's all move on, shall we? Pretty soon we can all bitch about how bad the launch was and the lack of mass stress testing and be lectured that we were warned by others, everyone will be happy

You mean 4 hours in the middle of a week day isn't a stress test???

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

51. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 3, 2012, 00:19 Agent.X7

Had fun in the stress test, even though several times I got logged out and came back dead. Thankfully, I will not be playing a necro in release, because that's mostly all I have played in beta, and I really don't like them.  

Origin - JStarX7
STEAM - Agent.X7
PSN - JStar_X7
Xbox Live - Agent X7

50. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 3, 2012, 00:08 Fion

NKD wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 19:23:
I guarantee you 90% of the people shilling GW2 won't even be playing a significant number of hours three months out and will have excuses like "Well at least there's no fee I'm paying, I got my money's worth!"

It's a single purchase. A single month worth of content is still vastly more than 90% of other $60 purchases. Your whole post is an assumption based upon your own bias. Didn't anyone ever tell you when you assume you make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'?

Thanks to Benny Hill for that last line.

49. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 3, 2012, 00:02 Verno

NKD wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 23:43:
My whole point. The ONLY point I'm making here, is that, right now, negative opinions for just about any title except GW2 are perfectly accepted and are not challenged

I've been trying to sit this out as I normally respect your opinions but this is just utter nonsense, not to mention totally offbase. I can think of about a handful of total people on the entire website who have ever said anything negative about Guild Wars 2 and half of them have been so vague as to leave one wondering if they even played it. Despite that fact I try to assume they are based in experience and most of the responses I've seen have been pretty patient and reasonable in just posting their own thoughts on why they had fun with it. You said earlier that trolls will be trolls but you seemingly lump everyone else in when it's a few people being silly and telling others to shut up or whatever. To be blunt you also trolled quite a bit in here with several insulting implications so if people were painting you with the same brush they would just dismiss you as a hater.

You said you didn't like Guild Wars 2, ok fair enough. I doubt you're going to lose sleep over me buying a copy anyway and vice versa. I'm not sure where the rest of this manufactured drama comes from because I don't see a hidden standard here. It has fans, detractors and trolls like...well click on any topic on your left there and see. Let's all move on, shall we? Pretty soon we can all bitch about how bad the launch was and the lack of mass stress testing and be lectured that we were warned by others, everyone will be happy

Playing: Dragon Age Inquisition, Far Cry 4, This War of Mine
Watching: The Walking Dead, The Fall, As Above So Below

48. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 23:43 NKD

Dades wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 23:11:
It has very little to do with my opinion. The reason for shilling a game are entirely internal.

I think you're just upset that a bunch of people don't share your opinion about this videogame.

You think wrong. If I don't like people getting immediately labelled trolls and told not to participate in a thread because they don't like a game, it stands to reason I think people should be able to like a game as well.

My whole point. The ONLY point I'm making here, is that, right now, negative opinions for just about any title except GW2 are perfectly accepted and are not challenged.

Maybe as they insisted several times, they just don't share your golden fucking opinion on the game because it actually met their expectations. Your explanations are totally illogical and you're being unreasonable about it with the persistent efforts to pass off what they say as everything but actual satisfaction with the game.

First, I never made any claim, explicit or implicit, that my opinion was better than anyone else. I don't know what persistent efforts you are talking about. I don't think I've had a lot to say on this title over the years. In fact I don't think I even posted about it until I got hands on time with it and was disappointed. Are you confusing me with someone else?

Arenanet isn't fucking Valve or Blizzard so you just sound like a pompous wind bag trying to insist they are somehow beholden to the brand of a company who shipped a middling quality MMO 8 years ago. I don't know why there has to be some conspiracy fanboy mystery afoot to explain this. It's a game that they enjoy, jesus christ.

You seem to be confused, bud. I never made the claim that anyone had any particular loyalty to Arenanet. In fact, many GW/Anet fans are unhappy with GW2 because of its watering down several elements. (I'm not familiar with the specifics, I was not a GW1 fan, just relaying what some have said here.)

Only that there were a subset of people who jump down peoples throats at the first sign of a negative opinion of Guild Wars 2. Those are the kinds of people who turn out to be the deluded fanboys I'm talking about.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with liking or disliking Guild Wars 2. But when I read stuff like "If you don't like the game, you shouldn't post." that's when it crosses the line and people need to re-examine their objectivity.

47. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 23:37 Burrito of Peace

Axis wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:22:
Yet food has no gameplay... Cute tho!

Wow, your sex life must suck something horrible. Food has tons of "gameplay", you just have to be more creative than, well, a critic.

46. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 23:11 Dades

It has very little to do with my opinion. The reason for shilling a game are entirely internal.

I think you're just upset that a bunch of people don't share your opinion about this game. I don't think you know what shilling actually means either because there is little to none of it going on here. Not going to even bother with the rest of the various rants about this website, the internet, fanboys and whatever other convoluted stuff you've dreamed up in an effort to explain that people don't like the videogame they think they like.

Hell, I preordered Guild Wars 2, but I'm big enough to admit it didn't meet expectations from what I played in testing.

Maybe as they insisted several times, they just don't share your golden fucking opinion on the game because it actually met their expectations. Your explanations are totally illogical and you're being unreasonable about it with the persistent efforts to pass off what they say as everything but actual satisfaction with the game.

Arenanet isn't fucking Valve or Blizzard so you just sound like a pompous wind bag trying to insist they are somehow beholden to the brand of a company who shipped a middling quality MMO 8 years ago. I don't know why there has to be some conspiracy fanboy mystery afoot to explain this. They made a better game this time so some people enjoy it and others do not, like pretty much every other game that ever existed, jesus christ.

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2012, 23:40.

45. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 22:59 NKD

Dades wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 22:43:
This is such a dumb post because it has nothing to do with what most people were posting here. Most of the people who like or dislike the game have played it. The hype doesn't matter because they were able to sit down and spend time with the game to make up their own mind. You're lashing out at some imaginary investment when people turn on companies and foam at the mouth over far less. The fact that you think people care about your opinion so much that they will fake liking a videogame is just beyond comprehension.

It has very little to do with my opinion. The reason for shilling a game are entirely internal. Dissenting opinions are just what brings them out of the wood work. Given that you're on this site, I'm sure you're not new to gaming. Are you claiming deluded fanboys don't exist? In the 24 years since I sat down to play my first video game, that's been pretty much a constant. People can sit there and play a game and swear it's the greatest thing ever and then a month later be condemning it as the biggest pile of shit of all time. Some people never reach that second phase, they will defend a game until their dying breath even after consensus is reached that it didn't meet expectations, all out of some misguided sense of loyalty.

Some gamers develop the same attachment to a project as the developers who create it. They follow it devoutly, spend time on it, and at some point an overly emotional connection is formed. And some of those people take very poorly to anyone saying "I don't like this game."

Hell, I preordered Guild Wars 2, but I'm big enough to admit it didn't meet expectations from what I played in testing. I didn't even cancel my preorder, I'll be gifting the account to someone. I don't like Guild Wars 2 because it, like SWTOR, tries to be an MMO for people who don't like MMOs, but ends up just falling into the same trap of being an MMO Lite.

I'm far more interested in something like Planetside 2, or the kind of political player-driven stuff that CCP is working on for World of Darkness. If it doesn't have persistence and a willingness to punish people who don't want to play with others, I'm not interested.

Teddy wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 22:22:
Beyond that, I personally find it very odd that all these people who 'don't care about this game because it sucks' show up in every single post about it to complain about a game they have no intention of buying in the first place. I don't like the Assassin's Creed games, but you don't see me wasting my time ranting about how they're not what I enjoy in every thread that pops up about them (and I mean EVERY thread. I think Axis has quite literally not missed a single thread to bitch in, repeating the same vague complaints every time). It's just weird, bordering on obsession.

That is exactly the same point I'm making. Most of the threads on this site are people saying that something sucks, usually with zero details to back it up. They generally don't get called out on it as ferociously as people do in the GW2 threads.

My whole point is that the treatment GW2 gets on this site is inconsistent with other titles. Why, in this pit of bile and cynicism, does GW2 get held to a different standard? If all anyone ever posted was glowing support and endorsements, it would be pretty boring.

44. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 22:52 Axis

You do realize that ANY mmo type game is fun for a month? The copycat mmo formula sucks ANYONE in till you are leveled, so its easy to say "Ya it's fun!"

Whats hard to do is be objectionable and admit it's flaws, but that only comes with experience quite frankly.

So while impartial or negative posts may rile some folks who desperately want only great things to be said about "their game", they simply need to grow up about it.

Common sense tells me that the more we ignore the glaring problem of companies pulling a cash grab necro on an IP, the less quality games will be made. D3 is probably the largest recent example, and you can see how they are using you, the sales, and their investors like fools.

Experience tells me I better do my part to let folks know.

Yours truly,

Axis

43. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 22:43 Dades

NKD wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 21:58:
And no one's forcing you to buy or post about all the other games YOU claim suck so bad. What I'm pointing out is the hypocrisy. This site, hates damn near everything. But when the shoe is on the other foot, people can't take it. They'll sit there and tell you your opinion is wroooong. You can't possibly dislike the game, you must be trolling. They'll worm and weasel around any statement you make trying to paint the things you hate as "awesome and cool and you're just not doing it right!"

GW2 is a case of people investing so much into the hype that they get upset when people question it.

For a site population that likes to think of itself as the Glorious PC Gaming Master Race, it sure falls into the same habit of consoletard white knighting and acting like a video game is your personal family member who just got besmirched.

This is such a dumb post because it has nothing to do with what most people were posting here. Most of the people who like or dislike the game have played it. The hype doesn't matter because they were able to sit down and spend time with the game to make up their own mind. You're lashing out at some imaginary investment when people turn on companies and foam at the mouth over far less. The fact that you think people care about your opinion so much that they will fake liking a videogame is just beyond comprehension.

42. Re: Guild Wars 2 Stress Test Today Aug 2, 2012, 22:22 Teddy

NKD wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 21:58:
GW2 is a case of people investing so much into the hype that they get upset when people question it.

The only flaw in your argument is the sheer lack of logic. People aren't investing in the hype. We've PLAYED THE DAMN GAME. That's not hype, that's experience. Hype is when marketing makes you believe something is what it isn't in the end, and you find out after you've been duped into spending your cash. The really, truly sad part is you're doing the EXACT thing that you're trying to chastise people for doing. Rather than accept that we like the game and you don't, you instead try to assert that you're right and we're wrong, but we're just too stupid to realize that we've been 'fooled' by the hype. It's pretty pathetic on your part, incidentally.

This game really IS that good. If you don't like it, feel free to not like it, but most of the detractors that bother to post either have vague complaints that you could apply to virtually every single MMO ever created, leading to the presumption that they just don't like the genre, or they in turn make assertions about the people who do like it. (Example, the guy calling everyone who likes it bozos earlier)

Beyond that, I personally find it very odd that all these people who 'don't care about this game because it sucks' show up in every single post about it to complain about a game they have no intention of buying in the first place. I don't like the Assassin's Creed games, but you don't see me wasting my time ranting about how they're not what I enjoy in every thread that pops up about them (and I mean EVERY thread. I think Axis has quite literally not missed a single thread to bitch in, repeating the same vague complaints every time). It's just weird, bordering on obsession.

101 Replies. 6 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo