Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Rift Kickstarter

This Kickstarter is for Oculus Rift, described as "the first truly immersive virtual reality headset for video games." This includes endorsement quotes from id Software's John Carmack, Epic's Cliff Bleszinski, Unity's David Helgason, and Valve's Michael Abrash and Gabe Newell (thanks Rob). Word is:

Oculus Rift is a new virtual reality (VR) headset designed specifically for video games that will change the way you think about gaming forever. With an incredibly wide field of view, high resolution display, and ultra-low latency head tracking, the Rift provides a truly immersive experience that allows you to step inside your favorite game and explore new worlds like never before.

We're here raising money on Kickstarter to build development kits of the Rift, so we can get them into the hands of developers faster. Kickstarter has proven to be an amazing platform for accelerating big and small ideas alike. We hope you share our excitement about virtual reality, the Rift, and the future of gaming.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

6. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 11:25 Axis

We need some innovation, hope this takes off.

You can't judge the resolution yet, its a completely different technology display.

Now if it sits on your face and looks like minecraft, then maybe you can..

Yours truly,

Axis
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

5. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 11:20 NKD

Quboid wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 11:15:
640x800 on a 110 degree FOV screen? That is not a high resolution display.

That's just for the dev kit. They say the version that eventually gets released will be better.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

4. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 11:15 Quboid

640x800 on a 110 degree FOV screen? That is not a high resolution display.  

- Quboid

3. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 11:12 Beamer

I'll wait for it to be perfected/improved/actually adopted before putting $300 into it.

I'm not going to pay $300 to play Doom 3 in low resolution right next to my eyes. Yeah, I know, if everyone took this attitude there'd be no adoption, but I'm not dying for this. If I still played WWI flight sims, though...

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

2. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 11:10 NKD

G-Snake wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 11:08:
This cracked $500k last night around supper time EST...it's already almost at a million ~12 hours later after launching just a few days ago? This kickstarter is something else...

When you get Carmack and Gaben shilling for you, success is probably guaranteed. I look forward to actually being able to buy one of these.

If you don't like where gaming is heading, stop giving your money to the people who are taking it in that direction.

1. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 11:08 G-Snake

This cracked $500k last night around supper time EST...it's already almost at a million ~12 hours later after launching just a few days ago? This kickstarter is something else...  

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 3.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo