Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Oculus Rift Kickstarter

This Kickstarter is for Oculus Rift, described as "the first truly immersive virtual reality headset for video games." This includes endorsement quotes from id Software's John Carmack, Epic's Cliff Bleszinski, Unity's David Helgason, and Valve's Michael Abrash and Gabe Newell (thanks Rob). Word is:

Oculus Rift is a new virtual reality (VR) headset designed specifically for video games that will change the way you think about gaming forever. With an incredibly wide field of view, high resolution display, and ultra-low latency head tracking, the Rift provides a truly immersive experience that allows you to step inside your favorite game and explore new worlds like never before.

We're here raising money on Kickstarter to build development kits of the Rift, so we can get them into the hands of developers faster. Kickstarter has proven to be an amazing platform for accelerating big and small ideas alike. We hope you share our excitement about virtual reality, the Rift, and the future of gaming.

View
46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

26. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 13:44 eRe4s3r

It can never be true 3D when you have a flat screen. For true 3D you need dynamic focus depth. Ie, your eyes can focus on any part of the scene and it seamlessly shifts the focus to there. As long as this does not happen there is no real 3D.

Even if both eyes get different perspective and thus pseudo 3D, you can not focus on any part of the scene - the focus would be infinite (like it is now on a normal screen) and thus, not real 3D.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

25. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 13:43 The Half Elf

Question:
What if you wear glasses? It's bad enough tolerating a 3D movie for 1-3 hours with 2 sets of glasses on, how bad is it going to be when you have glasses and goggles (looking at the cgi picture shown)?

"I've never seen a feature like this before. It warms your ass. It's wonderful" -Walter Bishop

24. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 13:30 Dmitri_M

Verno wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 13:24:
Someone should create a list of failed or vaporware virtual reality headsets. Virtualboy anyone? These devices always look like expensive eyestrain inducers.

Hey man, Mario Tennis on the Virtual Boy owned I remember trying to play that thing in the car, what a nightmare. Makes you really feel for your parents, think about all of the dumb shit you wanted as a kid that you used twice and discarded but they still had to pay for.
I have stacks of old gaming peripherals collecting dust in my parent's garage. Each time I visit I catch a glimpse of them all dusty and discarded (the peripherals, not my parents). Years later still feel guilt for abandoning them after mere hours.

23. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 13:24 Verno

Someone should create a list of failed or vaporware virtual reality headsets. Virtualboy anyone? These devices always look like expensive eyestrain inducers.

Hey man, Mario Tennis on the Virtual Boy owned I remember trying to play that thing in the car, what a nightmare. Makes you really feel for your parents, think about all of the dumb shit you wanted as a kid that you used twice and discarded but they still had to pay for.

Playing: Gauntlet, Dark Souls 2, Wasteland 2
Watching: Intruders, 24 Live Another Day, The Signal

22. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 13:22 Marvin T. Martian

Will they have a dumbed down version for my console??  

21. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 13:18 Dmitri_M

The resolution is low but at least this means you could lather on AA without any performance hit.

Anything that currently supports trackIR, mostly sims like DCS and ArmA should be easy to modify to support it. Not sure how suited this is for standard FPS titles like Doom. TrackIR doesn't work well with those conventional titles since you "look" with your gun. Unlike flight sims and odd FPS titles like ArmA where the player can move his view independently of the weapon. Most PC gamers can barely cope with ArmA's independant head\weapon view or even know to use it.

I'm happy sticking with my trackIR and 3x24inch LCDs which I've been using for..5 years?

This comment was edited on Aug 2, 2012, 13:24.

20. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 13:16 wonkawonka

Cutter wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:23:
You really want to wear one of these things for hours at a time? Can't see your controls. Knocking shit over when you reach for a drink/food/smoke. No thanks. And the only thing it's really practical for are FPS' and even then I can see some limitations and problems with it. It's like every other impractical gadget. It's neato for a while but after a few weeks you'll never touch it again. And that says nothing of how the reality will likely be only a handful of developers utilize it for a handful of games.

Think outside the box.
There's no reason why later on the goggles' screen itself won't have a opacity control where you can either handle it manually, or the app itself will change the opacity as you bring your head down towards your real life controls.

It could be very very nice. And 720p in-your-face is actually pretty good already. I'm thinking of getting one to tinker with its API.

19. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 13:15 NegaDeath

From the specs:

"Resolution: 1280x800 (640x800 per eye)"

That to me sounds like a distinct screen for each eye, which means true 3D not the faked stuff on modern TV's.

18. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 13:06 eRe4s3r

There is no real 3D on the market. It's all fake, with set pre-defined focus depths.

And yes, this would support this fake 3D we have now.

17. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 12:55 ledhead1969

Does this support 3D (like, real 3D, not FPS-2D 3D...the website is not clear on that). If it does I wouldn't mind watching movies in 3D on it in about 10 years.  

16. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 12:43 NegaDeath

Beamer wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:36:
Was it the two player one with a pterodactyl flying around? Probably. I played it once, $5 for 5 minutes or something insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6t69mp0ZhE

That does look like it, or what I can remember anyways. Could have sworn the one I played was 3-players but that such was a long time ago I could easily be wrong. Anyways thanks for that blast from the past.

15. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 12:36 Beamer

NegaDeath wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 12:33:
When I was a kid I tried a 3-player VR game that was playing at a local fair. It was the kind with the big mounted headsets that had full directional tracking. They even locked you in a booth to keep you from walking away by mistake. As it was 25ish years ago you can imagine the 3D "world" it presented was incredibly primitive. Regardless my young mind was still blown by the concept. When I see some progress is finally being made on a commercial version I get excited. Forget Doom, imagine playing a game like Amnesia on this.

Was it the two player one with a pterodactyl flying around? Probably. I played it once, $5 for 5 minutes or something insane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6t69mp0ZhE

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

14. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 12:33 NegaDeath

When I was a kid I tried a 3-player VR game that was playing at a local fair. It was the kind with the big mounted headsets that had full directional tracking. They even locked you in a booth to keep you from walking away by mistake. As it was 25ish years ago you can imagine the 3D "world" it presented was incredibly primitive. Regardless my young mind was still blown by the concept. When I see some progress is finally being made on a commercial version I get excited. Forget Doom, imagine playing a game like Amnesia on this.  

13. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 12:23 Cutter

You really want to wear one of these things for hours at a time? Can't see your controls. Knocking shit over when you reach for a drink/food/smoke. No thanks. And the only thing it's really practical for are FPS' and even then I can see some limitations and problems with it. It's like every other impractical gadget. It's neato for a while but after a few weeks you'll never touch it again. And that says nothing of how the reality will likely be only a handful of developers utilize it for a handful of games.

"The South will boogie again!" - Disco Stu

12. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 12:16 PHJF

Yeah, time to bust out the Virtual Boy!  

Steam + PSN: PHJF

11. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 12:03 Silicon Avatar

I remember when a 3dfx card was niche and all it did was play Quake.

I'd like to see somebody working on display glasses and I would try them out if they got them working up to a certain degree of polish.

It doesn't have to be perfect it just has to do something that's cool.

10. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 11:56 eRe4s3r

The sad thing is, for this to really take off, it needs Microsoft and them including the API for it into Direct X or becoming so the mainstream engines all support it out of the box (Unity 4/UE3/UE4 already kind of do, apparently).

If that happens, and the display is really good, it might catch on. Because if a good head-mounted Display could replace my glasses when I game that would be incredible.

9. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 11:43 Axis

Maybe nin, but the time is ripe for innovation.

3D almost made it this time round, it's holding on but keeps on descending. All innovations are niche, hell even the wii controller is niche, but it's stuff like that that pushes the industry creativity forward.

Yours truly,

Axis

8. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 11:42 Beamer

nin wrote on Aug 2, 2012, 11:32:
This rates up there with clang and Ouya as far as neat ideas that will probably never catch on outside a niche environment...

Yup, so you'll have Doom 3, a few unsupported mods for UE3 games, and... nothing else to play.

-------------
Music for the discerning:
http://www.deathwishinc.com
http://www.hydrahead.com
http://www.painkillerrecords.com

7. Re: Oculus Rift Kickstarter Aug 2, 2012, 11:32 nin

This rates up there with clang and Ouya as far as neat ideas that will probably never catch on outside a niche environment...

http://store.nin.com/index.php?cPath=10

46 Replies. 3 pages. Viewing page 2.
< Newer [ 1 2 3 ] Older >

footer

Blue's News logo